RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Leonard found himself sitting in the briefing room glaring at the two Abrbonians sitting across the large table from him. He was feeling more than a little hostile towards the entire Abrbonian race because he knew they had to have had something to do with his current predicament. He hadn't figured out yet exactly what that role was, but it was just too big a coincidence that they showed up right before he found out about his condition and then managed to have him called to a meeting right after he finally admitted the tricorders were right. It didn't sound all that far-fetched given that he knew these people could bring someone back from the dead, or whatever the hell it was they had done for Spock's mother. Of course, he couldn't really share any of his theory since he and the Abrbonians were the only ones in the room who knew that particular truth.

Also present at the meeting were Jim and Spock, who were currently eyeing their Chief Medical Officer as though he was a threat or, possibly, just plain crazy. The waves of hostility were simply pouring off of Leonard, who had no need for special empathic skills to sense them. The mood did not lighten any when the monitor chirped and Admiral Pike's face appeared.

"I would like to thank Starfleet for their patience upon our return to the Enterprise," No'Tatop stated once the formalities of greetings were out of the way. "I have to admit I did not expect to have to see all of you again so soon. However, M'Potbope, who, of course, was not with us on our first visit, discovered something which hastened our return."

As he'd spoken, he had nodded to the elder Abrbonian woman who sat next to him. He and M'Potbope had been accompanied by the twins, Te'Bora and Ge'Ha, but they weren't in attendance. It was just as well since Leonard wasn't sure if he could be held responsible for his actions had they been there.

"And this, I assume, has something to do with the Federation?" Pike asked. As the highest ranking officer, it was considered his place, according to Abrbonian customs, to address the senior officials.

"It has to do with a crew member of the Enterprise," M'Potbope informed them in a crisp voice as she stood, allowing her wings to become unfettered as though preparing for flight, though it was more likely that she was making herself a little more comfortable. After all, how far could she fly while on a spaceship. "It would seem that some of our youngsters had put something into motion, and when their plan failed, a plan, I might add, that would not have been sanctioned in the first place -"

"Wait, you're saying that it failed?" Leonard snapped. As far he knew, everything had worked out right. There had been some unexpected twists, he'd give them that, but Amanda was alive and Spock had a sense of peace about him that had not been present before she had been brought back.

The interruption had earned him looks of censure and surprise from his fellow Starfleet officers and a stern order from the Admiral to allow the woman to finish. Leonard surmised that none of them had expected him to have any more clue as to what she was talking about than they did. As he had already given more away then he had intended, Leonard merely nodded at the Abrbonian woman to continue as way of apology. Once again, everyone was focused on the graceful moves of the woman as she spoke.

"There is no need to scold the man for his outburst, Admiral. I do believe that Doctor McCoy has a right to anger as he is the crew member in question," M'Potbope stated, causing all eyes to swing back to Leonard. "Ge'Ha and Te'Bora wished to give him a surprise for lack of an equivalent in Earth terms, though to do so without his knowledge and consent would be considered wrong by your kind and, therefore, should not have been undertaken by them."

"You're referring to..." Leonard snapped and then stopped himself. Now was not exactly the time to be blurting out his newly discovered condition. This time, his interruption was not commented on at all. The words being spoken by the Abrbonian had caused a rising concern among the other men, especially given Leonard's recent changes.

"Yes, doctor," M'Potbope confirmed and somehow managed to convey that the conversation would include nothing about the deal he did make with the twins. He'd like to know how they were going to handle having one secret out there without surrendering the other. After all, there was the small matter of the baby's parentage to be explained.

"Would someone like to tell us what you're talking about?" Jim interjected, sounding a little exasperated. Pike calmly seconded the idea.

M'Potbope, on the other hand, did not appear ready to allow that portion of the conversation to begin. Instead, she echoed words that the twins had spoken to him regarding the changes the deal had brought on. Or, at least, Leonard assumed that was what they had meant at the time.

"Now that the privilege has been bestowed, you do need to see it through to its natural conclusion," M'Potbope informed the doctor.

"And by natural conclusion, you mean?" Leonard had to ask. "Because I've sprouted enough extra parts already."

"As a male, surgery is to be expected, but only allowable at an appropriate time," No'Tatop said, while Jim sputtered, "What extra parts?"

Leonard leaned over in his chair, his face in his hands. It was too much. He could feel a dizzy spell coming upon him. He had tried so hard not to be around people whenever he felt an attack. It made him feel much too vulnerable, but the day had already been too much for him. He wanted to go, to hide in his quarters until it all went away.

After eyeing the man's reactions with sympathy, M'Potbope turned to the remaining Starfleet officers and informed them of the news in a very matter-of-fact tone. "He is referring to the addition of a womb. Doctor McCoy is with child."

Jim's mouth dropped open, but nothing came out: a picture Leonard would have enjoyed if he had been able to see it. As it was, he had to rely on later descriptions provided by Admiral Pike, who at least managed to utter some sort of reaction, even if it was a simple "Excuse me?" Spock may or may not have blinked; this act was never confirmed.

At this point, Leonard decided that maybe lying on the floor was the best answer and found himself looking up at the alien woman, who was taking in the expressions around her. She was gifted in reading the face of Vulcans, Leonard guessed, based on the next words she uttered. "You all appear confused. Did I not phrase it correctly?"

"Oh, you got it right," Leonard groaned.

"It is not an announcement made in association with the human male," Spock explained as both Admiral Pike and the Captain were a little lost for words.

Jim stuck his head under the table to take in his best friend lying on the floor. "You okay there, Bones?"

Trying to focus on the voice speaking to him as the room continued to spin, Leonard answered Jim, sounding lost. "I'm pregnant. What do you think?"

"Yeah," Jim muttered as he sat up straight again. "A valid point if there ever was one."

"While there are concerns to be addressed," Spock stated, trying to maintain a level of dignity as he peeked over the table to take in the doctor's distress, "our first priority should be to obtain assistance for Doctor McCoy."

"I should alert Command of the matter, not to mention starting prep for the oncoming shit storm this should fire up," Pike muttered, more to himself than to the room at large. "I have no idea how we'll address this whole mess."

"What is a shit storm?" No'Tatop asked. "And what does weather involving feces have to do with this situation?"

Spock arched an eyebrow as Jim said, "Think you should field that one, Spock. I've got a best friend to tend to."

"As it is an idiom of the human language, it would be best explained by a human," Spock argued, but to no avail. Not bothering to comm sickbay, the Captain had gotten his friend up off the floor, and pretty much out the door, before the Vulcan had finished speaking.