RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Life after the alcohol incident had become even odder. He was starting to have reactions to other items. The most noticeable had been caffeine, of course, as Leonard was dependent on that to get his day off to a good start. Some who debated that his days didn't start off all that well when he did have his coffee had learnt the difference since Leonard had found out that he could no longer consume coffee in any form. A switch to teas allowed him to handle a limited amount of caffeine each day, but it was much lower than his previous consumption had been. Then there were the different foods. Some he had previously enjoyed and others were items he had never really cared for, but now they all had something in common as he could not only eat them but had trouble being around them if someone else who was indulging.

Leonard found himself skipping meals altogether or barely touching his food when he did bother. The change in his eating habits did not go unnoticed, though no one had commented on the situation to him directly. Instead, Leonard found himself being dragged to the Captain's dining room at an even more frequent rate than before. Adjustments were being made by Spock and Jim in regards to what was being eaten in his presence. The two seemed to stick to whatever it was that Leonard was having when he did eat with his friends, or, at least, Jim did. Most of Spock's meals did not disturb Leonard's equilibrium to begin with. Spock would probably have attributed this phenomenon to his diet being of a healthier nature, if they had ever talked about the situation, so it's probably just as well that they hadn't.

On days when Leonard didn't go to the dining room and didn't show up at the mess hall at all, he usually found a meal being delivered courtesy of the cook. Normally, it was something simple like a soup or a platter of vegetables or fruits. If he didn't know any better, he'd swear that Spock was reading his mind regarding what his stomach could handle that day. And he knew it was Spock. After a brief interrogation of the kitchen staff, he could put the blame squarely on the Vulcan.

He had to admit that it was a little surprising to find out that Spock was the one behind it. He had thought the changes brought about by the Abrbonians had turned them back into the civil adversaries they had started out as. It was kind of nice that Spock was being a good enough friend to take the time to have meals sent when he noticed that Leonard hadn't turned up on his own to the mess hall or had bowed out of dining with the Captain. Leonard missed being with the Vulcan as it was; it was good that they at least had a friendship after everything that had happened.

Of course, it was important that he figure out what the hell was going on . Leonard had run a few tests on the medical tricorder, trying to come up with the cause for the various reactions he was having to foods and his beloved coffee, but the darn thing was proving to be as useless as its reputation. It told him he was suffering from mild malnutrition and dehydration, two things he could have figured out for himself without any help from technology. It didn't supply any useful information about why this was happening to him.

To make matters worse, he was getting nauseous after eating, even though the food itself would go down fine at mealtime. And there was an onset of dizziness at unexpected times. Sometimes, it was so bad that he had to lie down and try not to move. He had a little cot in his office for when he had patients he wanted to keep an eye on (mostly Jim) during treatments. Now, he found he needed to use it because the world would spin like he was suffering from vertigo. However, tests indicated that he was not suffering from that condition, leaving the dizziness as unexplained as the rest of his symptoms. As a result, Leonard had felt it necessary to remove himself from any surgical duties, as the last thing he needed was to have an attack mid-operation, something he was sure his potential patients would appreciate. Other medical procedures could easily be handed over should an attack occur during treatment.

As he had no idea what was going on, he was hesitant to bring the problem up using official lines. Leonard wanted to have a basic grip on the problem before talking to others, though some off-the-record consultations had been taking place with more trusted members of the medical staff. The change of diet was one thing, but his inability to carry out one of his primary functions as Chief Medical Officer was another. It might surprise some people, but the idea of getting transferred off the ship because he couldn't fulfill his role as a surgical doctor actually depressed him as so much of his life was currently tied up with the people on Enterprise.

It was the notion of how his current ailment might negatively impact his life that had Leonard distracted as he sat quietly in the corner of the mess hall using a tortilla chip to push around a Vulcan vegetable-based paste he couldn't remember the name of, and likely wouldn't be able to pronounce if he did, around a small bowl. The scowl on his face had discouraged most from approaching him. Unfortunately, it didn't ward all off as he heard the scrap of a chair being pulled back.

"Are you planning on eating any of that?" Nyota asked as she sat down across the table from Leonard. "Or are you just playing with it?"

His head snapped up in surprise as Nyota was the last person Leonard had expected to join him. Make that the second last as it appeared that Spock was avoiding him when he was on his own, only joining him when he had company. Or maybe he was avoiding Spock, as he was a little embarrassed on how much effort the other was putting into making sure he ate. It was getting hard to tell.

Nyota flashed him a little smile as she leaned her chin into her folded hands. "Well?" she asked. "Which is it?"

"I don't play with my food," Leonard groused.

Nyota gave a little chuckle. "You could have fooled me. I've been sitting over there for a while," she said, waving a hand to one of the tables near the door to the mess hall, "and I haven't seen you eat a bite."

"You got nothing better to do than watch me not eat?" Leonard had to ask, an eyebrow raised. "That is a sad commentary on the state of your life, not mine."

Nyota just laughed and said, "Doesn't change the fact that I haven't seen you take a single bite."

Leonard felt the need to defend himself, even though he knew that what she was saying was accurate. "Maybe I took a few bites when you weren't looking."

This time, it was Nyota arching an eyebrow in disbelief. "Based on how soggy it has gotten, I am betting that's the same chip you started with when you sat down," she scoffed.

Leonard looked back down at the bowl. The chip he had in his hand had no crunch left to it and was losing the battle with the paste on what was moving what. It was possible that he hadn't eaten anything at all yet. It would be on a day that he was simply distracted and not one where he couldn't eat what was in front of him that he'd get called on his haphazard approach to dining.

"You could be right," Leonard admitted as he took a bite of the chip that was now so soggy it had lost what flavour it had possessed at the start. "But I'm eating it now if that is why you sat here."

Nyota rolled her eyes at the man. "I thought I'd see if you'd like a little company," she explained as she sat back in her chair. "You looked a little confused and maybe could use someone to talk to."

"Thanks for the offer," Leonard replied with a little smile, "but I need a little more than a sympathetic ear."

"Another doctor be better?" Nyota asked. "To possibly address the recent weight loss? Because you should have that looked into."

"Which one of us is the doctor again?" Leonard snapped, a little embarrassed that the weight loss had been brought up. Up to that moment, it had been the elephant in any room he was in. "I think I have a better idea of what I would or would not need to look into."

"I hate to break it to you," Nyota said, "but if you thought that that was going unnoticed then you are in for a big surprise. There isn't a soul on this ship who isn't aware of the weight loss."

Leonard rubbed his temple in frustration. He didn't think that the weight loss had gone unnoticed, but he really hoped that she was exaggerating. He didn't like the idea that everyone was aware of his problems on at least on some level.

"I'm sure not everyone has noticed," Leonard stated expectantly, vocalizing his hopes.

"I'm not kidding," Nyota insisted. "There have been more than a few conversations on this ship about what's going on with you."

Leonard groaned. "Gossiping, you mean."

"That too," Nyota admitted with a small shrug. "You know what being in space is like."

"Pretty much like being planet-side," Leonard said. "Where there are people, there is gossip, I get that. I just don't like being the topic of it is all."

"I don't either," Nyota agreed with a little nod, "but it would seem people are more interested in your problems than my break up. You should be flattered. Break ups usually dominate the gossip world."

Leonard almost retorted that it was because it was the second time it had happened, but caught himself at the last moment. Instead, he said, "Glad to be of help, I guess."

"Not going to ask why?" Nyota inquired. "I am fairly sure anyone else would be pouncing on it considering that I voluntarily brought it up. We both know the Captain would be bugging me for details."

"Lack of curiosity, I guess." Leonard shrugged. "Jim's got more than enough for most of the ship. Plus, he's probably wormed the whole story out of Spock by now, and I'll be hearing about it soon enough."

Nyota gave a small burst of laughter before shaking her head. "I highly doubt that Spock has told the Captain. However, on the remote chance he actually has, I can guarantee that he'll be heading straight to you to share, unless Spock demands that it be kept in confidence. Even then, the Captain would probably be smirking a lot."

Leonard had to admit his curiosity had been piqued by her implications. His eyebrows rose in query as he waited for her to say more. Before she could, they were joined by more crew members.

"Looking cozy here," Jim commented as he sat down next to Leonard. Spock and Scotty were with him, but both remained standing. "Hope we aren't interrupting anything?"

"Speak of the devil," Nyota muttered under her breath before leaning across the table to address the Captain directly. "Did you notice how your companions are waiting to be invited to take a seat?"

Jim just gave a little snort in response as Leonard looked up at the two men standing behind Nyota and stated, "You might as well sit down too. Jim looks like he's settling in for a while."

With a slight nod, Spock took the seat next to Nyota. The break-up had been amicable, and the two still appeared to be close friends. It had definitely gone better than the first time, in Leonard's opinion. Of course, he was the only one who knew that, but, still, he didn't have to feel too guilty about how he had felt when first hearing of the split. He had worried about the Abrbonians' actions and had wanted Spock to be happy, or, at least, as happy as Spock would allow himself to be since happiness did involve emotion.

Scotty took the chair on the other side of Leonard and eyed the food sitting in front of the doctor. "Are you planning on eating that?" Scotty asked.

Why? Would you like some?" Leonard glanced at the other man curiously.

"No," Scotty replied. "I was just waiting to see you eat something. Given the number of stone you've dropped lately, I'm not sure you do that anymore."

Jim stifled a laugh, while Nyota shot Leonard a "told you so" look, though Leonard didn't think Scotty noticing proved much at all. Scotty, after all, was a good friend and, as such, was more likely to notice if something was off.

"Seriously, Bones..." Jim tried to avoid expressing his amusement at the way Scotty had broached the topic. He wasn't having much luck given the way Leonard was scowling at him.

"Seriously what?" the now flustered doctor demanded.

"The Captain is attempting to express his concern over your recent weight loss," Spock explained in a tone that reminded Leonard of a parent trying to placate a child. "The situation is not amusing and is becoming one of concern, as being significantly underweight can negatively impact your performance."

Leonard rolled his eyes. "Glad to know you're concerned about me."

"Of course we are concerned about you, Bones," Jim said, chastising him. "And I am including Spock in that 'we'. It's not just about how you perform your duties, but also about, well, you. It's just more likely you'd be co-operative about it if we tied that concern to your job."

It's not like I'm ignoring the problem," Leonard explained, giving a frustrated wave of his hands as he spoke. "I've run the damn tricorder a few times, but it keeps giving me non-answers. It's kind of hard to treat a problem when you don't really know what is going on."

"It may be necessary to expand the search criteria of the tricorder when attempting a diagnosis," Spock suggested in a tone that communicated a degree of concern and forethought into the situation. "You have stated, on occasion, that you consider the tool unreliable, so I would also recommend making use of the other diagnostic tools at your disposal as the Chief Medical Officer. You do have the ability to use those in an unofficial capacity if you are trying to keep you preliminary findings off the record."

"Maybe you've got a brand new spanking disease that they'll name after you," Scotty said as he gave the doctor a slap on the shoulder. His voice, Leonard felt, sounded too cheerful to be discussing ailments, new or otherwise. Scotty went on to add, "Not a fatal one, mind you, even if you do look a little like death warmed over."

"Just a little," Nyota said, confirming Scotty's description by holding up her thumb and forefinger to show a small space in between. "You do, however, seem to be carrying it off with a certain amount of oomph."

Leonard glared at the woman for a moment. He was starting to suspect that he had been set up for some sort of intervention. Wanting to redirect the conversation, he said, "But that isn't what we were talking about when you guys butted in. You interrupted Nyota dangling bait in hopes of getting me to bite. Not that I expected her to deliver."

"Which is basically what you are doing now in the hope of changing the subject." Nyota smirked as she folded her arms across her chest. Leonard assumed she was trying to give the impression that she didn't care if he told. He did have to wonder, however, how Spock would react to what she had been saying, though he still had no idea what she had been getting at with her cryptic comments.

"And I have to admit it's working," Jim said as he leaned forward so he was closer to Leonard. He was very curious as to what had happened to bring about the end of the relationship. "You going to tell us what she said, Bones, or are we going to have to guess?"

Leonard never got a chance to answer as Nyota provided the answer for him. "If you must know," she stated with a toss of her hair, "and we all know you must or the curiosity might drive you mad, I was simply trying to pique his interest in our break up." She waved her hand towards Spock as she spoke the last part.

"Did she tell you why?" Jim demanded. He had been trying to get details out of Spock, but the Vulcan was not being very forthcoming. He hadn't asked Nyota as he knew that would be a waste of time.

"No, she didn't because I didn't rise to the bait," Leonard retorted. "And, as I said, she's not likely to really deliver, anyway. Nyota's getting too much entertainment out of your desire to find out what is none of your business."

"Maybe I'm concerned," Jim claimed, his hand plastered across his heart. "I think it's sad to see two people who were good together split apart."

"We were all concerned as it was such a bad break up." Scotty chuckled as he winked at Nyota and added, "Surely, you could see that."

"I am deeply flattered, but there is no need." Nyota tried to keep her tone solemn while fighting back a laugh. "Spock and I are still best of friends. Right, Spock?"

"That is correct," Spock confirmed. "It is unlikely that the Captain's interest in the logic leading our separation is related to concern. However, his persistence in pursuing the reason does indicate an above average level of interest or a higher level of boredom. I have not yet determined which."

"It's just that the whole thing went so..." Jim flailed as he tried to get just the right word.

"Efficiently, unemotionally -" Leonard started to say, but Jim cut him off.

"Not exactly what I was going for," the Captain replied. "There was no mess; there is always a little mess."

"Maybe there was," Scotty pointed out. "If there are two people on board who could keep their messes private, it would be these two."

"True enough," Jim admitted. "However, I think that there was more to it, and you know how things can bubble up at inopportune times, so best to get it out now when there isn't anything happening."

"Are you that bored right now that you'd invite a Klingon attack?" Leonard asked, appearing as though he expected the ship to shake from a blast at any moment.

Jim made a face as Scotty agreed with Leonard. "Aye, Captain, I don't think it is wise for you to make comments like that. It does seem to bring on trouble."

"There is no statistical basis for observation, Mr. Scott," Spock pointed out.

"But no harm in avoiding the possibility," Nyota chimed in. They were all aware that the Enterprise appeared to attract more trouble than usual for a starship.

"There's the reason for the break up," Scotty asserted. "The two had very different takes on superstitions."

The ship didn't get shaken or get hit by anything, but before Jim could comment his presence was requested on the bridge. His three human companions shot him a variety of "told you so" looks.