RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


"Hello there, boys," Nyota said as she approached the two men she'd spotted locked in an argument in the corridor. "I was wondering if I could borrow the doctor for a few minutes."

Spock raised an eyebrow at the request but said nothing.

"I don't see why not," Leonard responded with a smile. "I always enjoy a chat with a pretty lady, and I think Spock can agree that you aren't likely to be posing any threat to my continued existence. Right, Spock?"

"I am certain that Lieutenant Uhura means you no harm," Spock replied, giving his ex-girlfriend an assessing look. "I am unsure what she would wish to discuss with you that cannot be done in my presence, but, if it is necessary, then I would not object to postponing our discussion to a later time."

"Thanks, Spock," Nyota replied. "Nothing of any concern. Just wanted to run a few things by the doctor."

Her comment gave both Spock and Leonard the impression that she was more likely to discuss medical concerns as opposed to the ongoing situation that Leonard kept finding himself in between the pregnancy and threats. Taking Leonard by the arm, Nyota directed the doctor down the corridor to the nearest observation deck.

"I hope you don't mind," Nyota said as the door to the small room slid open. "I know you don't really like these rooms, but this is probably the most private place we could find without needing to head to one of our quarters or to your office. Those options are a little out of the way."

"That's okay," Leonard stated. "I'll simply keep my focus on the pretty lady in my company and not the more stressful view of space."

"Flattery isn't necessary, doctor," Nyota said with a smile. "Appreciated, but not necessary." She sat down where she had a view of the observation window, while gesturing for Leonard to take the chair across from her.

"What can I say," Leonard joked as he took the seat. "I am always gracious to those who rescue me from what is likely to turn into a rip-roaring fight."

"Doesn't that describe most of your conversations with Spock?" Nyota smirked, knowing full well that the two could get along if they avoided certain topics. Not that either put all that much work into avoiding these same topics, but, then, they did seem to enjoy arguing with each other.

"Not all but most," Leonard conceded, "but I don't think you dragged me away from our latest conversation just to discuss our tendency to argue, now, did you?"

"That is very true," Nyota admitted. "I wanted to talk to you about what you did."

"What I did?" Leonard asked, eyebrow raised in query as he had no idea what she could be referring to.

"Yes, what you did," Nyota reiterated. "You know. When you entered into an agreement with the Abrbonians."

"When I what?" Leonard gaped at her in surprise. That was the last thing he had expected Nyota to say. "What agreement is that? Because I am telling you right now, I in no way asked for this pregnancy, if that is what you're implying."

"I am implying nothing of the sort," Nyota retorted. She folded her arms over her chest and swung her leg a little in agitation at the accusation. "I am fully aware of how much the pregnancy has thrown you and, to be honest, you are just not that good of an actor, Doctor McCoy, for that to have been requested from the Abrbonians."

"Can't argue that," Leonard said sheepishly, giving a little shrug. "I didn't think I was particularly good at fooling anyone."

"Anyway, as I was saying before we went off on this little tangent," Nyota stated firmly, "I want to talk to you about what the Abrbonians did for their part of the agreement you made with them. And don't bother denying it. I know that you entered into an agreement with them. I have gathered and reviewed quite a bit of data and I'm more than aware of the results of that deal. You will only be kidding yourself if you think you can talk me out of believing otherwise. "

"Reviewed all the data, huh?" Leonard laughed at the phrasing. "You definitely have spent too much time with Spock."

"No trying to change the subject, doctor," Nyota warned Leonard. "But as you brought up Spock, I don't need to introduce him into the conversation. After all, the whole agreement revolves around him."

"So I'm making deals about Spock, am I?" Leonard was starting to think that maybe she really did have the situation worked out. He couldn't exactly add any input at this time, as it was clear he could only confirm it when someone did work out the pact. He couldn't do much else, leaving his hands tied at this point in the conversation.

"Yes, quite a sweet one I might add," Nyota said. "How often does one get to do something so nice for another living person? Emphasis on living because, as you already know, there is also a dead person involved, or, better put, a formerly dead person involved. And I mean that in a non-zombie sort of way."

'Well, shit,' Leonard thought to himself, 'she really does have the whole thing worked out.' He had no idea how, though. He guessed it probably related back to the conversations that had taken place on Mn'ha. He did recall how attentive Nyota had been during the storytelling by the elders. However, that alone did not explain how she would have worked it out. He needed to phrase the questions he wanted to ask carefully to ensure he didn't inadvertently violate the pact and get himself in trouble. Not with the truth being so close to being revealed without his input.

"So this data that you mentioned," Leonard said, "the data that led you to this very strange conclusion. Would you mind if I asked what exactly it consisted of?"

"I am not the least bit surprised you want to know how I worked it out," Nyota smirked. "I'm also not surprised that you're not confirming that you have a deal. I remember the consequences the Mn'ha faced when they violated their agreement with the Abrbonians and I don't expect you to put yourself in the same position. If you can restrain yourself from interrupting, I'll explain my conclusions."

"Yes, ma'am," Leonard snorted as he leaned back in the comfortable seating of the observation deck and listened to what Nyota had to say.

"First, I noticed a problem recalling certain events clearly and, believe me, we could do a survey of everyone on this ship and find quite a few people who have fuzzy memories revolving around certain situations," Nyota said as she started her explanation. "Not that that alone would mean much of anything, but when more recent events are less focused than past ones it does seem a bit odd. Combine that with things that simply don't appear to add up and you have to start wondering if someone, or something, has been messing around with people's memories. Or at least you do if you're serving on this ship."

"Are you sure you aren't just talking about yourself and not everyone on the ship?" Leonard interrupted.

"Hush," Nyota ordered, leaning over and giving him a warning punch to the shoulder. "I said to let me explain. And, okay, it might be heavily based on my own personal experience, but I tried asking people about a few different things I was unclear on and no one else seemed to know any more than I did. I am extrapolating from that. I mean, try going out with someone when you feel like you are being compelled to date without the emotions that usually go with a relationship. It was like we had broken up, but had forgotten to tell each other."

"Small print," Leonard muttered to himself. Honestly, who knew an oral contract would come with it?

"What was that?" Nyota asked. "Never mind. I don't want to know. However, this was not what aroused my suspicions. No, they were triggered by Chekov and his dream."

"His dream?" Leonard interrupted once again. "Why did that make you suspicious? I think my explanation worked quite well, thank you very much."

"It did make sense," Nyota said with a little nod, "except it didn't really explain why Spock had the same dream but from a different perspective."

"Spock had the dream?" Leonard's eyebrows shot up to his hairline in surprise. "I thought Vulcans didn't dream, or, at least, not in the sense that humans do."

"Wasn't really dreaming now, was he?" Nyota pointed out. "He was remembering events correctly, which brings us to the previously dead person I was speaking about. Spock's mother, Amanda. I had the confusing feeling I had never met her before when we received a comm from his parents not long after the Abrbonians had left. That didn't make much sense, given we would have met after she was recovered from Vulcan along with the others. I was certain I had met his father."

"I guess you wouldn't remember Spock's mother -- not if she was actually dead before the Abrbonians visited, which I assume you are claiming is the case," Leonard answered. He didn't want to discourage Nyota from her theory as she did appear to have the deal worked out correctly. At the same time, he had no idea what the Abrbonians would consider an acceptable definition of "worked out," so he was erring on the side of caution when responding.

"Yeah, that is exactly what I'm claiming," Nyota stated.

"Let's say you are correct," Leonard said, leaning forward, his arms resting on his legs, preparing to play devil's advocate. "That still doesn't explain how it's my doing. Maybe someone else thought it would be nice to have the Abrbonians give Spock his mother back."

"A good point," Nyota admitted, "or it would be if it weren't for a few interesting facts that I have yet to share since somebody keeps interrupting me. Someone I've told to just listen, I might add."

Leonard shot Nyota an apologetic smile as he sat back in his chair. With a little wave of his hand, Leonard suggested she continue.

"To understand how I know it was you, we have to return to Spock's recently developed tendency to dream," Nyota started, sending Leonard a suggestive look, giving him a good idea of the nature of those dreams.

At that, Leonard started to stand, something that wasn't quite as easy as it used to be for him. As he pushed himself up, he said, "On second thought, I don't think I need to know how you came to that conclusion."

"Sit down," Nyota stated in a very stern voice, and Leonard dropped right back into the chair, an automatic reaction to Nyota's tone. "You do realize that your reaction is very revealing in itself."

"That may be," Leonard retorted, a little embarrassed he had obeyed the woman so quickly. "I still don't want to hear about it. And I know you're supposed to best friends now, but aren't there lines?"

"Maybe," Nyota replied. "But who else was he going to talk to about these things? The Captain? Not that he would break any confidence with Spock, but I can't imagine Jim being able to contain that 'I know something you don't know' look of his every time he was in a room with the both of you. And, let's face it, you guys spend a lot of time together, so you'd be seeing it quite frequently."

"I guess I should be grateful that it was you when you put it that way," Leonard admitted. "Still doesn't make me the guilty party."

"It does when you think of the dreams as suppressed or replaced memories, the way that his other dream turned out to be," Nyota argued.

"A coincidence," Leonard offered with a little shrug. "I'm sure stranger things have happened."

Ignoring him, as if he had posed a rhetorical question, Nyota continued. "The whole picture came together when we were on Mn'ha. The stories about the Abrbonians were very enlightening, to say the least. And you are doing a very good job at avoiding saying anything that screams I'm right. I can't blame you, given the horror stories they shared. But how else could two people have the same dream, unless those dreams represent suppressed memories? As for the dreams involving you, they make more sense if you consider that any agreement with the Abrbonians means that the person in question has to give up something. In this case, your relationship with Spock, though, if I am remembering correctly, and I believe we have covered the possibility that I might not be already, at least two of the Abrbonians were motivated by something other than benevolence."

"Please don't remind me of those two," said Leonard with a grimace. "They got me into this mess. Arrogant bastards."

"Yes, setting a pregnancy in motion was very autocratic of them," Nyota agreed. "I understand it was likely that they meant the child to be theirs, so I can't begin to describe how selfish that maneuver was."

"Yeah, it's not really something I want to get into, if you don't mind," Leonard admitted. "It's too much to consider, a violation but without a haunting traumatic memory to accompany it."

"I suppose it could have been worse," Nyota had to admit. "You could have suffered that traumatic moment."

Not that I would necessarily have a traumatic memory either way," Leonard pointed out. "The Abrbonians can, after all, alter memories according to your theory."

"Not as well as they think," Nyota reminded him. "Spock and Pavel had memories resurface, as I'm sure a few other people did."

"Did you?" Leonard asked, curious as to those items she had sought clarification on from others.

"Nothing that is truly relevant in making you understand my conclusions," Nyota stated, basically telling Leonard to mind his own business. "I do, however, have some questions for you. I'm not sure whether you would be able to answer them or not."

"Why don't you summarize your theory for me," Leonard Said. "A short concise one leaving out the supporting evidence."

Nyota gave Leonard an odd look, but did as he asked. "You entered an agreement with the Abrbonians where, in exchange for them returning Spock's mom to the land of the living, you gave up your relationship with him, having past events removed from the collective consciousness, while remembering them yourself."

"Yes," Leonard answered with a nod. He didn't bother letting Nyota know that memory changes did not include the relationship between him and Spock; no one had known about them. "Yes, what?" Nyota replied, unsure what he was getting at.

"I can confirm that what you said is true," Leonard explained. "I can't elaborate or clarify, but I can confirm."

"Is this some slack they decided to cut you as result of the pregnancy screw up?" Nyota queried, tilting her head to the side as she took in Leonard's body language, noting the stiffness that set in with her question. "If that was the best they could offer, it's a truly bad consolation for the stupidity of their actions."

Leonard simply kept stating at Nyota, but made no further comment. It was okay to confirm the deal he had made with the Abrbonians, but that didn't cover revealing why he could, and Leonard was not taking any chances.

"I didn't think you would answer that question," Nyota admitted. "And don't feel as though you need to answer any others if they are covered by your original agreement with the Abrbonians, but I do have a few, if you don't mind."

"You can ask, but I make no guarantees," Leonard replied.

"The first is why exactly Spock and I were put back together as a couple?" Nyota wondered. "I can't see that being something you requested."

"You are correct about that," Leonard said with a little shrug. "Small print. Make of that what you will as I can't really explain beyond that."

"An oral contract shouldn't have small print," Nyota retorted.

"True," Leonard agreed. "Doesn't change my answer, though, unless you want to refer to it as a whispered addendum."

Nyota gave a little a giggle at that. "Fair enough. The second question you should be able to answer as it doesn't come under that pact at all from what you've said so far."

Leonard arched an eyebrow at her and said, "That would be?"

"Who is the other parent of the child you are carrying?" Nyota asked. "Or, more specifically, is Spock the other parent of that child?"

"That's a very personal question, don't you think?" Leonard replied. "And one I'm not very comfortable answering, to be honest."

"I realize it is very personal," Nyota responded, "but if it is Spock I really think you need to tell him. And given that the two of you were in a relationship before the Abrbonians altered the memories of everyone on the ship-"

"Everyone but me," Leonard said. "After all, it is not a sacrifice if no one remembers the truth."

"I'm guessing you are quoting the Abrbonians there," Nyota stated.

Leonard gave a little nod. "Verbatim."

Nyota shook her head in disbelief. "Honestly, they are quite an amazing group of individuals. Very arrogant. But to get back on topic-"

"Quoting the Abrbonians isn't exactly off topic, now, is it?" Leonard smirked.

"Leonard," Nyota warned and the man gave her a sheepish grin as way of apology. "As I was saying, you should really tell him. He does deserve to know. Plus, I am guessing she has at least a feature or two from her other dad that will make it apparent."

"Okay." Leonard stopped her, this time for more legitimate reasons. "How the hell do you know I'm having a girl?"

"Oh, that." Nyota felt bad enough about knowing to look a little guilty. "Um, someone was pestering Christine about the sex of the child. She wasn't going to tell, of course, patient confidentiality, but there may have been some discussion of hacking into records to find out. She decided it was safer to answer than to have that happen. I wouldn't be needing to ask then."

Leonard rolled his eyes. It didn't come as a shock that there were crew members who would stoop to such an underhanded level to get the information. "I'll let it slide, then, because God knows the parentage would have spread like wildfire."

"And that is in part because it's Spock's, correct?" Nyota prodded.

Leonard was torn about answering the question. Nyota had released a bit of the burden by figuring out what was going on. He knew she'd at least be telling Jim and Spock about the pact. He didn't need to ask her if she would. On the other hand, it wouldn't be fair for her to know, and that's what he ended up telling her. "You realize I could not, in good conscience, tell you as I haven't told him."

Nyota smiled. "I can ask you again once you've had your little chat with Spock."