RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Leonard lounged on his bed with knitting supplies as he had decided to make a blanket for the baby. He was also surreptitiously studying Spock while he worked, as the Vulcan had been acting a little weird as of late, even for him. Spock was currently sitting and chatting with Jim. Nothing unusual in that, Leonard had to admit. What was unusual, though, was how avidly Spock was watching him knit. His focus was completely riveted on the doctor's hands. Jim and Spock had brought their chess game to Leonard's quarters and had set it up on the small table there, as Leonard had not been feeling all that well. However, they had yet to play. Instead, they were discussing that day's shift.

Leonard finally broke down and said, "I thought you two were going to play chess. "You went to the trouble of bringing the damn game down here, which was totally unnecessary, by the way, as I wasn't in any desperate need of company, so the least you could do is play."

"Loads of time, Bones," Jim stated as he gave his shoulders a little roll, trying to ease away some of the tension of the day. "Had some interesting news from Command today."

"If you are referring to anything those nutcase groups are allegedly up to, I've already heard," Leonard growled. He was frustrated by the number of idiots that had surfaced after the story of his pregnancy broke and by the fact that so many people seemed to believe they had any right to weigh in on what was happening in his life. It didn't matter whether they were being supportive or hostile. They should have just kept their damn opinions to themselves as far as Leonard was concerned.

"While they did come up, as Command is concerned about some of them being a danger," Jim admitted, "that was not, in fact, the news I was referring to. It seems that our next mission will be taking us to an interesting location."

"As they have elected to keep me confined to the ship for the foreseeable future, which I am starting to suspect will be the rest of my life, and possibly that of the kid's, I'm not sure I want to hear about it," Leonard confessed. Getting off the ship shouldn't have been something he craved, especially when on a mission, but not being able to leave at all, particularly anywhere that some of the more hostile groups had connections, being cut off from the option altogether, had made it something he now wanted. It was all about wanting what he couldn't have, Leonard guessed. He had become an expert on that of late, which had him, once again, checking out Spock from the corner of his eye.

"This planet you will be able to visit," Jim informed his friend. "On this planet, your little bump won't look out of place at all among the inhabitants."

Leonard raised an eyebrow and, without missing a beat, asked, "They're all fat?"

"Possibly." Jim smirked as he reached over to give a little pat of the bump that had been alluded to with the fat comment. It had finally made an appearance now that Leonard's weight had increased and had become more typical of a pregnant person. "I was actually referring to the fact that male pregnancy is not something out of place."

"Oh, goodie. Someone to commiserate with." Leonard rolled his eyes at the thought. He glanced over at Spock, noting that Jim's actions had finally drawn the Vulcan's attention from his knitting. Leonard had to wonder what all that staring was about. Spock wasn't the type to assign gender to a particular task, at least not to one that an individual could learn, so it wasn't because knitting was typically thought of as a woman's hobby.

"The Federation are seeking a new treaty with the Mn'ha," Spock said with a hint of irritation in the look he was giving Jim. "As Command is aware, there are limited opportunities to interact with a species where male-based reproduction occurs naturally. It would be advantageous to send a starship with a crew that the Mn'ha may be willing to share information with in regards to the phenomenon. A chance to gather intelligence that the Mn'ha have been disinclined to reveal in the past."

"Ah, use the whole 'Hey, we've got a pregnant one ourselves' routine to break through that wall of secrecy," Leonard sneered. He turned his focus back to the knitting as he noticed that he had, in fact, stopped. The hobby was a useful one in that he could easily multitask when knitting less complex patterns, such as the one he was using for the blanket.

"Yeah, that's the basic idea," Jim laughingly admitted. Giving a little shrug, he added, "Doubt it would do any harm to relations if they don't take the bait."

Leonard shot a quick glance at Spock, half expecting the Vulcan to make a comment regarding Leonard's ability to disprove Jim's claim, but the Vulcan was back to staring at Leonard's hands as he knitted.

"May I ask, doctor," Spock said hesitantly, "why you took up the hobby of knitting?"

Leonard's eyebrows shot up at the almost shy nature of Spock's voice when he made his query. "No big secret there, Spock," Leonard said with a shrug. "It's actually not all that uncommon for a surgeon to take up a pastime that makes use of the hands."

Spock gave a slight nod of acknowledgement. "The practice would allow you to keep your fingers limber and flexible, a necessary trait for one in your position."

"Exactly," Leonard confirmed. "One of my teachers suggested knitting as it was a hobby of his. Keeps those muscles nice and loose in the fingers. Can't have them seizing up so that I can't hold a scalpel, now, can I? Plus, it offers the added bonus of actually producing something: in this case, a baby blanket."

"You're nesting, Bones," Jim joked. "Making a little cozy home for you and your expected bundle of joy."

Leonard made a face at the comment. He didn't think he was nesting, just being practical. There was no out. He had to have the child, though, if he were being honest, which he was being, at least to himself, even if there was a way out, he would have likely still gone ahead with the pregnancy. This way, he got to keep another little part of Spock with him, despite what he had given up so that the other man could have his mother back. Now, he had friendship, of a sort, and a child. It wasn't the most usual way for a man to cope with the feelings he had, but it was better than having nothing at all.

"I don't think he believes he is nesting," Jim said to Spock. "What do you think?"

"It is only logical that Doctor McCoy prepare for the upcoming child," Spock replied in a matter-of-fact tone. "It is a natural instinct."

"True enough," Jim replied. His eyes brightened, which was a sure sign that he had gotten an idea stuck in his head. The other two did not have to wait long to find out what it was. "I think we should throw the man a baby shower. It will help in the preparation."

Leonard groaned and Spock raised his eyebrows.

"It is the traditional thing for friends to do when one is expecting," Jim continued, outlining his plan. "And it would be fun to have a little party."

"You do remember that there would be no alcohol at this shindig of yours, right?" Leonard reminded him.

"There would be no alcohol for you, you mean," Jim shot back. "No reason for those of us not expecting to avoid imbibing, after all."

"Would it not be impolite to consume alcohol when the guest of honour cannot?" Spock queried, tilting his head slightly in thought as he spoke. Leonard was just grateful the intense stare was once again off of him.

"A good guest of honour wouldn't complain and would let the other guests enjoy themselves," was Jim's counterargument.

"We have met, right?" Leonard snorted as he shifted on the bed. His back was feeling a little sore. "I have a reputation to uphold. I can't go being nice and letting others enjoy booze."

"Cranky, Bones: your reputation is that you are cranky, not mean," Jim pointed out. "No one's going to change their minds about that just because you let them have a few drinks."

"Actually, I have a reputation for being a curmudgeon, Jim," Leonard shot back, "and I assure you that allowing others to drink when I can't will definitely harm that image."

Jim gave a hearty laugh at that. Turning to Spock, he said, "Now that's not really fair. However, you could still become intoxicated as I can assure you there is a way we could pull it off with chocolate."

"I'm sure that was Spock's big concern," Leonard drawled sarcastically. "Whether or not he could get drunk."

"Easiest way to survive any party with women cooing over baby stuff," Jim explained to Spock, "so it is something to consider."

"You are assuming that I would be present at this gathering, and I am not sure why," Spock admitted.

"Because if he's crazy enough to actually do this, Spock, I have no intention of suffering alone," Leonard informed the Vulcan. "I will be ensuring that many others suffer as well, so don't even think you're weaselling out of it."

Spock gave a little sniff, indicating his annoyance at the comment. "Vulcans do not weasel."