RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Mystery revealed
~past~
*-*

He'd nearly killed Marion's son! During the last days of despair, Severus had never stopped thinking of just who the mother of the child might be. He'd just thought about it as the cursed child of the Sheriff. Never had he considered who the mother could be, but now that he was told it was Marion it made sense. That was why he felt so strangely connected to this woman, that was why she subconsciously was protecting him the way she did. She felt the urge to protect her child. If Robin hadn't found him in time Severus would be dead now, and so would Marion's child. A child with her blood in its veins.. it might fight the cursed blood of the Sheriff. And she would never surrender her child to that bastard's arms, that was certain. Maybe the child had a chance to a decent life after all, as long as it never had to stay in his father's care.

The cramps in his body slowly started ceasing, as the stress that had caused them slowly let go. Severus wondered if his very own body had tried to kill the impostor in one last, desperate attempt. But so what if Marion was the baby's mother. What about Robin? Severus doubted he would sit silently by the side and accept a child that was a mix of Marion and his worst fiend. Marion seemed to read his mind.

"I know a way, Severi. I didn't want to lie, but this is what I told Robin. I told him the child you carry are ours, mine and Robin's. The Sheriff could not catch Robin and I would not wed him, so he took our unborn child with dark magic. You were kidnapped, innocent in all this, to carry the child whilst he himself prepared the final attack on Robin. He was planning to use the baby to force me to marry him, and further more he wanted to raise Robin's son as his own, making the boy hate his father. He must never know this is a lie, Severus, I'm depending on you. For both our sakes and the sake of the unborn, take this to be the truth, I beg you!" Severus breathed her hope as air. In this merry-go-round of unexpected turns that never stopped Severus once more found himself forced to take a step back to life. He'd wished for the end the last hours, but now his resistant, stubborn soul once more took charge and kicked away the scared little boy.

"Severi, I don't want to lie, but it will keep you safe and you will not be ransomed. I will love and raise the child, together with Robin who for all eternity will be known as the boy's father. I promise you, the Sheriff will never lay a hand on him! And I believe that was the reason to why you went into the woods tonight, Severi, you were only trying to protect the baby from him, weren't you." A small, tired nod came from Severus who looked near fainting.

"Robin will not abandon or hurt you in any way, he will hate the Sheriff even more. If you want to live, you'll have to live with this... forgive me, but it's the only way to keep you alive."

The lies were far closer to the truth, and the truth at this moment in time was that Severus Snape wasn't firing on all 4 cylinders. He was tired, more tired than he could remember and for once he just wanted to pretend that this wasn't happening. This was simply a bad dream he couldn't wake himself from.

Survival. That's all he could hope for, now it wasn't enough.

'What if I don't make it this time...what about you my not so little bump. No one should have a father like that...no one. That's why I went into that forest... Better Robin of Sherwood and Maid Marion than me for a mother and the sheriff as your proud father…how repulsive can a family get...even if I live through this the sick bastard would try again...look at me, I practically cringe every time a man comes within 10 feet of me...Where's my pride and self reliance now, eh.. ' Severus was tired of soul-searching, of trying to analyse everything to bits. His screaming mind would settle down with a preferred truth.

'She's right I could die tomorrow and no-one would care except for Albus and some half starved child. Albus, what have I done, why couldn't I be strong like you, why have you left me here...why. Oh...Albus what happened...did I fail you.....what did I do wrong?'

*-*

Marion left Severi after making sure he was no longer in pain and that Ronja would notify her instantly if the pain returned. Now she had to deal with Robin once more. Thankfully he accepted her explanation, that also was the truth. Severus didn't know that he carried their child. He was afraid that he carried the Sheriff's future heir and that he one day would reign these lands with more fierceness than his father. Robin calmed down and promised Severi would be safe from now on, but first he needed proof that the man really was pregnant. And this was a matter he wouldn't wait with.

*-*

There was no choice; to convince Robin he would have to see for himself in piece and quiet this time. Severus knew this would happen, curiosity or outright murder, perhaps even both and calmed himself for the inevitable arrival of his none to happy rescuer. Severus knew the maid would try and defend him, no he wouldn't be the cause of her death...she'd been protective and more loyal in the few short days of knowing her than he'd remembered of most his friends.

'Friends,' he mused to himself: 'I have as many here as I did at home...one hand to count them on with fingers to spare.'

As Robin was talking to John Little outside the tent, Severus bade Ronja leave the tent and go to Marion. Both Robin and John Little entered the tent, and Severus heart sank. No possible means of escape..2 to 1.

Pulling a weary Severus to his feet, face to face Robin without hesitation asked the question:

"Is it the truth...are you with child?" A set of simple questions. Yes or no that was all the answer needed. Severus barely nodded but it was enough. The grip on his shirt front lessened and he slowly lowered himself back to sit down on the makeshift bed.

"Show me!" a simple and abrupt order from a man used to both responsibility and being obeyed. Shame again flooded Severus when he thought of his body and someone looking at him but he had to do this for his guaranteed survival. This was not the sheriff and he did not need to fight or argue with this man. Curbing a shudder and the sudden urge to punch the man in the face and run, Severus did just the opposite. He opened the warm robe revealing a loose white cotton undershirt and simple woollen leggings. If Severus did this properly now the man would never look at him or touch him again. Offering his hand to Robin the seated man pulled Robin closer and placed his hand on the area where the child was pummelling madly. Letting the hand go, Severus expected it to be jerked back, but it stayed exactly where it was...feeling the kicks and rolling for the few brief minutes they lasted. For once Severus didn't want to answer...didn't want to lie..no voice was to be found.

Near to panicking Severus stayed outwardly calm as again the hand skimmed over his fluttering stomach, then shifted to rest on his shoulder.

*-*

Through the shirt Robin could see that the curve of the body was wrong. The stomach jutted out like a fat belied man, but this looked hard and the skin looked stretched around the stomach. The life beneath Severi's skin jumped at him, as if his son greeted his father for the first time.

'My son.'

The urge to kill had passed leaving in it's place the beginning of tenderness and sorrow for the stranger.

'We're blood kin, you carry my son and your blood runs through his veins, my blood, Marion's and yours.'

Through all this Severi had held still, these few testing moments felt like hours. He seemed to read Robin's need for stillness and quiet, after all Robin was reaching a tumultuous decision on unusual and outrageous evidence. Something far outside his normal range of comprehension and once taken he had to act accordingly with his decision.

Loxley leaned down and looked searchingly into the other man's face for signs of treachery, all he found was tiredness and pain, then it happened. The kiss was brief and unexpected. For the span of seconds Loxley leant in close to Severi and pressed his mouth against his cheek.

"Little John, make it known the fairy carries my son. He is to be treated as my family, he is no kin of the Sheriff's. Severi is as a brother to Marion and Myself!" he said calmly as he rose to his feet again. Both Severi and Little John were gaping.

"Are you telling me that he is... that he is..." Little John stuttered as his eyes never left the naked belly which contents was a mystery to say the least.

"He's with child. My and Marion's child to be exact. The Sheriff has steeped so low as to steal our unborn son and place it in this man." There was a heartfelt hate in Robin's voice.

"We've all been deceived in this. Severi was fooled to believe he was carrying the Sheriff's son, I was fooled to think he was the Sheriff's brother and almost killed my own child in the process. That bastard is going to pay for this, Little John- I promise you!!" Little John was still glaring at Severi's stomach of which was now covered with clothes and thoroughly hidden once more.

"Of all the nights to skip my evening drink!" he moaned and followed Robin outside.

*-*

The storm settled by morning as a new kind of storm chased through the camp. Little John had done as he'd been told and now everyone were talking in high pitched voices about the creature in the tent that supposedly was carrying the Lord Loxley's child. Sure, they were superstitious people, but they wouldn't believe anything served on a plate! By lunchtime Wolf was the only one convinced Severi was indeed pregnant, all others commanded evidence. Robin and Marion wasn't going to place the poor man on some freak display. He looked so self loathing every time he had to show his stomach they didn't have the heart to order him to show it to everyone who wanted to see.

"We need them to see that we accept him, Robin. If you are willing to do this I think they will believe." She told Robin what he had to do and got a shuttering 'YUCK!' in response. Men would be men... But he hesitantly agreed it had to be done. After all Severi was a fairy.. it wouldn't be like he was doing this to.. a man. But to do this.. in public.. he couldn't help but feel a little repulsed.

*-*

Severus was brought out from the tent and placed in front of a crowd filled with all sorts of expectations. He could feel their eyes undressing him, poking him, and he was so humiliated he wanted to fall dead right on the spot. He reckoned he was to be stripped for all eyes to see.. His disgusting body would be the new freak show and there was nothing he could do about it. The people had to believe if he would have any chance of surviving. Marion and Robin approached him, as Little John kindly dragged the ever suspicious Ronja away, promising her no one would hurt her fairy. Severus only wished someone would say the same comforting words to him. He had to look petrified, at least no one seemed to be frightened by his presence and children were actually smiling at him! That was a first... The fierce Potions Master, able to scare the most gruesome of demons when at his worst temper, was smiled at by five- six year olds! Back at Hogwarts the same children would have been scared to death to meet him in the hallway. How ridiculous did he look?? Was he somehow been dressed in that ghastly green dress and the vulture hat Neville's grandmother always wore some time during the night? Or was it the very idea of someone like him 'pregnant' that had them smirking like this??? Severus jumped a few inches into the air as Marion's light touch on the top of his shoulder ripped him back into reality and the fore-coming humiliation. She gave him a friendly smile before she turned and faced the now frantically mumbling crowd.

"I suspect you all have heard the great news by now," she began and found Robin's hand while she spoke: "Robin and I are to become parents. But there is also a sad part to these joyful news which I'm to tell now. The Sheriff found out about my pregnancy and stole my unborn child. To have revenge on Robin he planned to raise our son as his own, forcing me to marry him and our son to grow up without his father. Severi was kidnapped by the Sheriff as his evil plan took form. Our child was placed beneath his heart and the Sheriff imprisoned him in his castle and forced Severi to carry the child he had stolen. In great risk of his own life he tried to escape from the Sheriff to bring our son back to us! This is the truth, my good folk. As Ronja has been claiming the whole time, Severi is a fairy, and his survival is of great importance as what he carries is dear to us all!" With these words she turned back to Severus again, a kindness in her eyes so heart melting even Severus felt moved for a second.

"As a bond, tying my family together you are, Severi. Without you despair and ruin it would have faced. With my kiss, accept your undisputed place in this encampment, you're one of my own, one of my dearest!" With these words she kissed him, gently. Butterfly wings tickling his lips as she confirmed her words. Severus' heart jabbed at his ribs as she took a step back, still smiling. And so she stepped aside, and... Robin stepped forward.

'Oh god, what's HE gonna do with me?' Severus fought the strong desire to back away from the approaching man, then he saw the kindness Marion had showed him strangely enough was mirrored in Robin's. There was a small sign of uneasiness surrounding the man, but that was all. No open loathing or hatred, it was down right weird!

"You've offered your own body as a home to our stolen child, and for that I am eternally in your debt, Severi. You are welcomed to stay with me and my family for as long as you please, and during the term of your pregnancy nothing will be spared. For you are as precious to me and Marion as our unborn son that you're carrying within." And just as his young wife Robin leant in close and pressed his mouth against Severus Snape's. During the span of a few seconds the kiss lasted they breathed the same air from one mouth to another. It was an intimacy of some sorts. A joining kiss of acceptance that would change Severus' status in the camp.

Severus did nothing to stop the kiss. This wasn't a kiss of great desire and lust nor passion and sex. It wasn't resembling the needy mouth of the Sheriff in any way. This was a simple token of acceptance, showing Severus and all others his place in the encampment and the pecking order. The wizard was safe for the present and that was all he could hope for. Robin stepped back, no longer any traces of uneasiness in his face. A smile actually appeared on his face and Severus no longer felt any hostility. Strange, how a simple lie can change a man's prejudices against you..

And from that day Severus Snape was Severi, the fairy- magically carrying Marion's and Robin's unborn child. The whole camp accepted it the moment Robin's lips embraced Severus' and no one longer doubted his intentions or relationship to the Sheriff.

*-*

Back at Nottingham Castle the Sheriff had been in a deadly mood ever since the night he'd discovered the ransom-note from his hated cousin. He had given his rat of a cousin the respite of ten days to return Severus Snape unharmed or else he would have hell to pay. Now the tenth day was coming to an end and the Sheriff was slowly realising Snape wouldn't be returned to his rightful owner. Chairs flew across the room, valuable vases and other ornaments ended their glory days as broken pieces of pottery down on the floor. He screamed and roared within his private quarters, so loud one of the stable boys swore he'd heard him all the way down to the stables. His own mirror image had been taken from him! And for all he knew he might even be part of the disappearance. If he got his hands on him he would show him who his REAL master was! There wouldn't be much left of the man when the Sheriff was done with him!!! Several maids and servants had cowardly escaped too during the Sheriff's last days of bad temper, others were scarred for life... No one would escape the wrath of the Sheriff!! Endless searches had turned out without results, Loxley's filthy lair somehow was hidden for the naked eye.

Little did the Sheriff know about the old magic contained within the wood. It protected the special one as it could feel great danger threaten him from the black mansion besides the village. The old wards protecting Robin of the Hood's camp was reinforced and strengthened so that no one with the lust to hurt Severus Snape would find the secret village.

Starting from tomorrow the Sheriff would start his own little campaign to get Snape back. By the end of this month the wizard would be handed back to him willingly, there was no doubt in the Sheriff's mind. He knew how to torture a whole population and make them see what's best for them.