RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


The rain was pouring down, making Seto Kaiba's trip all that much more enjoyable. "Fuck." he muttered for the thousandth time as he almost went off the road. Why had he picked today as the day to drive himself to Kaiba Corp. headquarters?
All he wanted to do was get home to his baby brother. He just hoped Mokuba wasn't too afraid. He knew that his little brother was almost 13 and wasn't that afraid fo storms any more, but Seto wanted to be there just in case.
He was only a few yards from the road that would lead him to his drive when the front driver's side tire decided to blow, sending him into a spiral Seto knew he wouldn't survive. Closing his eyes he prayed to any who would listen. //Please, I must live. I can't dump Kaiba Corp. on Mokuba. He's a little kid. He needs a chance to grow up.//
As he felt the car about to flip time suddenly stopped and a bright white blue light filled his eyes. It was so bright he couldn't look at it and was forced to close his eyes. That was when he heard the soft laughter near him, but no matter how much he wished to look for the owner of the voice the blue light was just too bright.
//Oh, Seto... It's not your time just yet. You still have many things to do in this world. It will be a long time before the lady of death comes for you. For now, rest. And allow your true nature to take over. Forget your worldly hates, needs, wants, desires, pains... everything that isn't purely you. Once that is done you will recall what is so special about tonight and why lady death will not visit you on this occasion. Rest.//
The voice was so pure, and so strangely innocent Seto immediately thought of Yugi. But then he relaxed and for a moment he felt a weight within his heart, then it was gone and everything that had been, was, and had yet to happen made perfect sense.
Just as the paramedics and officials made it to the scene of the burning wreck of Kaiba's car a figure could be standing among the wreckage.
"Mr. Kaiba... Are you okay? Mr. Kaiba? Mr. Kaiba?" the police officer called and watched as man from the wreck turned with a whirl of his blue coat.
Upon his face a smile that could have melted the pants off of any man and the glow in the strangely bright cerulean eyes was enough to kill a normal man. "I am... perfectly fine, officer."
With that, before anyone could say anything, Seto Kaiba walked off into the darkness of the stormy night.
"Hey, Ken." one officer said to his partner.
"Yeah?"
"Did you notice he didn't have a scratch on him... He wasn't wet either... But he was walking in the rain..." Both of the officers' eyes went wide as they studied the wreck and the rain storm around them.
"We're not paid to think. We're paid to clean up messes. Let's just do our job and go home."
The second officer nodded and went back to taking down what a witness had saw.

**Part 2**
"So, Joey... What do you want to do tonight?" Yugi asked as he lay on his bed with just his head hanging over the edge staring down at where his friend lay on the floor beneath him.
"I don't know, Yuge... I thought you and Yami had plans."
Joey had only stopped by long enough to get some help on his algebra homework.
"We did... But it isn't something that can't be put off, I'm sure." Yugi grinned and tilted his head as much as his position allowed him to.
"Actually, Yugi. It only happens once ever fifty human years." Yami said as he came into being beside his aibou.
"What it is?" Yugi asked sitting up and moving onto Yami's lap with a wide eyed innocent look of wonderment.
"The Dragon New Year." Yami told him before repositioning Yugi so the younger boy didn't hurt anything.
"The wha?" Joey asked sitting up and trying not to laugh at Yami's strained expression.
"The Dragon New Year. Dragon years are far longer than human years. And this is their new year. I had thought Yugi and I could celebrate it in our soul chamber, but it will be fun to celebrate with you Joey." Yami gave his hikari's friend a bright smile.
"Naw. I'll just go... Enjoy, Yuge... Yami ya' might wanna make sure he can sit down for class tomorrow. See ya'." Joey waved as he grabbed his bag and walked out leaving the lovers to their own party.
//Dragon New Year... I guess I could celebrate a little.//
Joey thought of his Red Eyes and then nodded to himself. That's just what he would do. Stopping by a little ramen shop near the Kame Game shop he treated himself to a hot meal that he hadn't had to make.
After finishing he hurried out of the shop and fought against the rain trying to make it home before the storm got any worse. Joey had never seen it storming this bad before. It was almost scary, though Joey would never admit to that.
At the door of the home he shared with his father he was greeted by the sight of his father sitting with a shot gun pointed at the door. "I knew you'd have to show up sooner or later...."
His father's words were slurred and Joey knew he was drunk.
Very drunk if the gun were to say anything. Joey was about to push the gun out of the way when his father pulled back both hammers. "Your shit is in those bags. Get out of here and never come back. If you do they'll never find the body."
Joey could only stare as his father kicked a couple of full garbage bags out of the door and then slammed it.
//I won't cry... I won't.// Joey thought to himself as he grabbed his bags and started towards the door. //What am I going to do? I don't have anywhere to go... I guess I could go back to Yuge's...// Joey thought about that for a second then shook his head. He'd seen the look on Yami's face. He didn't want to be in the middle of that. //Then who?//
After a little bit of thinking he smiled. //Ryou!//
Eight, very wet, minutes later, Joey shook off some of the rain that dripped from him, as he stepped up onto Ryou's front porch. He stood there for a moment before ringing the bell.
There was a crash and thump as well as a few muttered curses, in what Joey was certain were ancient Egyptian. Then a flushed Ryou opened the door. "Yes?" his voice was harsh with fast breaths and he wore only a teal silk robe.
"Hey... I was wondering if I could stay here for tonight. My dad ki-" Before Joey could finish his sentence Ryou shook his head. "I'm sorry, Joey. Bakura and I are celebrating... what was it again?" he turned and called back into the house.
"Dragon New Year." The answer was short and a little on the needy side.
"Yeah, that. Look, why don't you go stay with Yugi... I'm sure he won't mind. Sorry again, Joey." Ryou gave him a weak smile before closing the door.
Joey couldn't help but laugh. It seemed like everyone was celebrating but him. //What now?//
//Could go see if Malik and Marik could let me sleep there for tonight.// Joey shivered at that thought, remembering the last time he had been over there. //They don't need a reason to have sex... Give 'em a holiday...// Joey left off with another shudder.
//Maybe Kaiba? I mean he's not that bad and he does have that big house. If he won't Mokuba will.// Joey nodded and set off for the Kaiba mansion, hoping he wouldn't have pneumonia by the time he got there.
Half way there Joey was forced to stop beneath a tree for a moment to pull his hair out of his face. Just as he was stepping out of the tree's shelter one of the branches was struck by lightning as Joey looked up it was like slow motion watching the branch come down at him.
He ducked and waited for the pain, but it didn't happen. He could see a bright light behind his eye lids, something like one would see if they turned their faces up to the sun with their eyes closed.
//This is not your time, Joey. There is still a purpose for you in this world.// A gentle voice spoke and Joey shifted as if to look at who ever it was, if that red light hadn't been so bright.
//What do you mean? I'm a nobody.// Joey told the light with his head cocked to one side, wondering if this was some kind of purgatory.
//Oh, Joey... You are so much more than a 'nobody'. What if I were to tell you that the fate of an entire race rested within you.//
//I'd say that the race was screwed and to find someone more appropriate.// Joey wondered if this was a strange dream and he was going to be waking up soon.
//Ah little one, there isn't anyone more perfect. If you will but let go of your mortal ties you will remember what it is you're destined to do.// The voice was now gently coaxing him to relax and to call upon the same source he used when he was calling upon his cards.
Joey nodded and tried. He couldn't let a whole race of beings die. He just couldn't. A gentle warmth filled his mind and then a startling clarity came. //I understand.//
A near-by street person, who had been watching the entire thing, watched in amazement as the boy who had been struck down rose as if nothing had happened.
"What is it you're looking at?" the boy asked as his red eyes cut over to the street person.
"N-n-nothing."
"Ah... how wrong you are." the boy turned and walked away leaving everything behind him burning, even in the rain.
The homeless man stared as he realized that the boy wasn't getting rained on, then he looked into the bottle he had been drinking from and threw it away, deciding to try to make it to the shelter for the night.