RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +



Author's Chapter Notes:
Notes: Special note to my lovely beta, the Goddess Michele...I changed a little thing...can you tell;)



*~*~*~*~*


Mulder rose up from the couch like a sounding whale and hobbled slowly over to the phone, delighted to discover that he could add swollen ankles to his list of "shitty things in Mulder's life today." He quickly dialed Dana's number and told her that Walter was on his way over and was acting completely ape-shit.

Dana scoffed, "What is with you two? I can't leave you alone for one day and without one or both of you suddenly turning into pre- adolescent Neanderthals!"

Mulder gave a long-suffering sigh, as if he'd heard this accusation before, and said, "I don't know, Dana, it may have something to do with a certain person you are currently harboring." He couldn't keep the tinge of sarcasm out of his voice, and Scully reacted to it with uncharacteristic anger.

"Harboring? You act as if it is totally a choice on my part!"

"You could have just told him to fuck off."

"You come here and tell him that," she growled impatiently.

He laughed suddenly. "I'm sorry I am being such an ass, Dana-chock it up to hormones, I guess. I am worried about what Walter will do, though. Maybe you should tell Krycek to leave while he still has one good arm, not to mention a head on his shoulders."

"No, I will not." She knew she was being more stubborn about this than she should have been, but seemed helpless to stop herself. " Let's see if Walter can handle himself in front of me without turning into a complete idiot."

Mulder smiled, knowing immediately who would have the upper hand in any confrontation between his lover and his best friend. In this case, size definitely didn't matter. "I think you have it under control, then."

"You better believe it. Talk to you later."

He hung up the phone and then waddled over to the kitchen to prepare some food for himself and Walter, his mind divided between wondering if Walter would come out of this unscathed, and wondering if there were any more pickles in the cupboard-he had a craving. This last thought made him smile and brush a hand across his thickening waist.

*~~~*

Walter banged on Dana's door just a few short minutes after Dana had hung up the phone. She opened the door but and immediately declared, not giving him a chance to speak: "If you come in here and upset Jenny, I will murder you."

Walter stared at Dana as if she had turned into a pelican. He, then quickly composed himself and sighed, "I just wanted to tell that little jerk that he had best keep away from Mulder and..."

There was Krycek holding Jenny on his hip.

"Wa-Wa!" Jenny called out to her favorite human being, after Mommy, of course.

"Hey, baby. How are you doing?" Walter's gruff exterior melted in front of the smiling cherub whom he quickly took away from his enemy with surprising gentleness.

"Pwaying with Unca Awex," she lisped.

"Uncle 'Awex', huh?" he glared at Alex but said nothing, merely carried Jenny into the living room to play.

"So, is he here to tell me what's what?" Alex asked Dana.

"I think he wants to tell you to go jump in a lake, but I have a feeling he won't be doing much for awhile except playing with Jenny. She loves the attention, and always sleeps so soundly after he plays with her." As an afterthought, she murmured, "And he loves being with her, almost like a father."

"Well, good, because I think I was about to have a sneezing fit."

"I don't think you're allergic to babies, Alex. I think you're allergic to the baby powder."

"You're probably right, doc," he smiled at her broadly, and she thought she should have been pissed off at the smirk and the words, but instead she found sending her heart racing.

'Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck-' she stopped her mental chastising when she realized that was exactly what she wanted to do with the dark haired, green eyed ex-agent. She usually hated when someone called her 'doc', and she didn't like the way her emotions were warring with one another inside her. 'You are getting soft in your old age!' she rebuked herself silently

Alex turned to watched Walter play with Jenny, while Dana went into the kitchen to get them some iced tea and sandwiches, her inner battle continuing. 'What, now you're going all domestic?!' she screamed at herself. 'Trying to show him how good it can be?!' She was only slightly surprised that her internal monologue had no effect on the tasks before her, which she completed in short order, taking food and drink out to the living room on a tray.

Walter immediately wolfed down a couple of sandwiches while Alex took over playing with Jenny, who didn't seem to mind the switch in playmates at all. She had formed an instant rapport with the young man, bearing none of the malice that everyone over the age of three seemed to find for Krycek within hours of meeting him, justified or not.

"She's a handful, Dana. Maybe you should let me and-" Walter stopped that thought, looking surreptitiously at Alex.

Then he sighed. "Mulder wants me to just tell him outright, but maybe I can bluff my way out of it."

"Are you going to take A-Krycek to his mother's residence?"

"Whatever for?"

Dana groaned at the lack of communication that had apparently taken place between Fox and Walter, and then patiently explained about the documents and the key. Alex and Jenny ignored the grown-up talk, taking pleasure instead in discovering how many toes the baby had, and just how hard she could pull Krycek's hair.

"Actually, that's perfect. I will take him over to the house, open the cabinet, get the documents out then stuff him in it," he said it so calmly; but Dana could tell he would do it easily, needing only the flimsiest of excuses, or none at all.

"Oh, no you don't. You will either take him over there and treat him with respect or stay here with Jenny while I go with him!" Her voice was low, but Walter recognized the inherent threat in it, and his curiosity was peaked. Before he could question her motives, however, Alex approached the two of them, holding a suddenly very sleepy baby in his arms, shooting Walter an unreadable look, then turning his gaze on Dana and offering her a somehow shy smile, as if to say 'now what do I do with her?'

"C'mon, Jenny. Time for nighty night," Dana said to her child, plucked her easily out of Krycek's grip, taking her to her the bedroom where her crib was.

Alex looked at Walter expectantly, wondering if he was going to start something. The big man waited until Dana was out of the room before he said calmly, "You will not intimidate any of us to get what you want. Got that?"

Alex nodded, knowing to step carefully. He was always impressed by the sheer presence the older man exuded when he entered a room. It wasn't just his height, although he was at least an inch taller, and it wasn't the impressive muscles he kept hidden under those conservative clothes, he just had one of those personalities that entered the room before he did. Alex smiled to himself as Walter shifted uncomfortably under his scrutiny.

"I think we can work something out, Krycek." Walter conceded so quickly that it made Alex nervous, but he didn't interrupt as the older man continued: "Dana mentioned that key you have. If we go together to check it out, then I will reveal to you what you want to know."

"I think I already know, Skinner. I am not a total idiot, despite what Mulder or you might think. The aliens experimented on him. That much is obvious. But I cannot imagine that the grand plan was to turn him into a couch potato."

Skinner smiled enigmatically at Krycek. "I think more will be revealed at the old Mulder residence, Krycek."

Krycek nodded and they were about to leave when Dana stopped them, having gotten Jenny down for her nap with a minimum of fuss, for which she was dimly grateful.

"You two will behave yourselves! This is for the sake of Mulder's health, and I think you both have his best interests at heart. But-" This last she directed expressly at Walter: "Old habits die hard, and you need to remember what's at stake here."

"Very well, Dana. I will behave myself professionally. But I will only do so unless I am otherwise provoked. That is all I can guarantee."

Dana nodded, expecting nothing less from Walter, and trusting his word. "And you, Alex?" She felt no qualms at demanding the same thing of Krycek, although she might not be as believing of his words.

Alex smiled that pulse-racing smile again, and she suddenly wanted to believe.

Alex loved the fact that Dana was calling him by his first name. "I will behave myself, Dana."

Walter on the other hand was highly disturbed by the way Dana was looking at and talking to Krycek. To him, Scully was the mother of the second greatest love of his life, Jenny, and he did not like her fraternizing with the enemy like she seemed to be doing. But he knew better than to call her on it. At least not right now. That can wait until later, he thought to himself, although, if the truth be told, Krycek had not been his usual rat bastard self since Walter had been there. It almost warranted further thought, but he set it aside, with the rest of the questions in his mind, opting for action now, knowing it was his strong suit, and knowing that it was his way of doing what he hoped was for the best for everyone involved. Until this situation was resolved to his satisfaction, he still had to admit that there was something in Alex's smooth tone, almost like a purr, that sent a chill up his spine. Not fear for himself, but rather a sense of foreboding that eased not at all when he noticed Dana's reaction to Krycek's voice, which held the hint of a promise of more to come. 'That bastard had better not come near Jenny's mother, again,' he thought.

"Come on," he growled. Krycek followed willingly enough.

*~~~*

Once they had established the fastest route to the Mulder family home, they jumped into their respective vehicles and drove off, with Skinner leading because of his superior knowledge of the route. Walter was glad to take a break from Krycek's presence. He wondered why he felt even more discomfited around the man than usual, and a mental picture of his favorite petite redhead came to him suddenly.

'Yes, Dana's sudden trust in him is frightening.' he thought, but something else nagged at him and he tried hard to put his finger on it.

'Jealousy? Am I jealous of Krycek? Or am I-god! Am I jealous of Dana?'

He quickly admonished himself for even thinking that. He knew he had no reason to be jealous of Dana. 'Sure the guy is cute, there is no doubt about that, but he is no Fox!' he growled to himself. Suddenly a thought came unbidden in his mind of a certain Lieutenant in the Marines that made him wonder about his sexuality for the first time back in those first frightening days of his tour of duty. He'd had black hair and green eyes but hadn't been quite as pretty as Krycek.

'Oh shit!' Now he wondered if being alone with the guy was such a great idea.

*~~~*

Dana was settling down for the night, curled up in satin pajamas with a cup of tea on the coffee table, wanting to get plenty of sleep tonight, knowing that Jenny would be up early, and wanting to be able to enjoy more quality time with her child without being too tired. Without thinking about it, she started straightening up the files that Krycek had left with her. A single paragraph caught her eye and distracted her momentarily. It was about Skinner's nanobytes. She knew that the technology that had nearly killed her old supervisor was far in advance of what today's supposedly modern technology was capable of, just as she knew that the technology's intended medical uses would be astounding if ever used properly. She was sorry that it was Skinner who was the unwitting guinea pig on the evil uses of that technology.

She picked up the sheets that were shoved randomly into the files and began to read about it.

*~~~*

Mulder was wondering what was happening with his lover. Gleeful images of Walter choking Alex Krycek to death competed with equally vivid images of Dana kicking the crap out of both men. At last he gave in to his anxiety. He called Dana's and she quickly picked up.

"Hey, there." She answered brightly after he identified himself. " Did you know that Skinner's nanobytes were intended to establish the first ever 'baby keeper?'"

Her swift introduction of an unknown subject caught him off guard, but just for a moment. "Dana, are you on drugs? Where is Walter?"

"Oh, sorry I was just reading some of these files that Krycek left with me."

"Wonderful, I see that you seem to be getting on swimmingly with the double-crosser."

Dana ignored that comment and told him, "Walter and Alex have gone together to your mother's house."

"So its 'Alex' now, is it? I see."

"Mulder, can we talk about something else? You sound like a broken record."

"Sure. Fine. Whatever. What is this 'baby keeper' thing you are talking about?"

"Well, it seems that in the event of a woman being incapable of conceiving, a fertilized egg could be implanted in the womb and 'guarded' by the nanobytes or 'baby keeper' as its called in these papers."

"Dana, do you think this technology was used on you?"

Dana paused in shock. She hadn't even thought of that, having convinced herself that something had just finally worked and she had become pregnant despite the times she had tried to conceive unsuccessfully with Mulder through artificial insemination. She did not want to believe it was from some alien technology used on her to 'keep good Spender stock' going as she had read at one point.

"Maybe it was, but...I don't...I -Jenny could still be yours, right?" Dana's voice suddenly grew small and nervous, and Mulder sympathized with her fears.

"Dana, I am sure she is mine. She certainly has my stubborn streak."

Dana sighed and giggled a bit. "She also has your eyes, Mulder. They were the thing that made me fall in love with you right off."

Fox grinned. "I always knew you had the hots for me."

"Only in your dreams, G man!"

Fox laughed. "That's the Dana I know and love!"

Dana snorted. "OK. Fine," then suddenly sobered, " but I wonder if this technology is what is keeping you pregnant?"

"You are probably right. I was thinking that Skinner's nanobytes might have had something to do with it. I swear the only time that this would've occurred was when the condom broke. Your lectures on the use of them alone kept us careful."

"Unless they were implanted in you while you were abducted, in which case it would have nothing to do with Walter."

Mulder didn't like the sound of that. "Wouldn't they have shown up on the tests you did on me?"

"Hmm. Unless the technology has become so advanced that the nanobytes are now virtually undetectable by us."

"Dana, I'm shocked. You quit the X-files and now you start sounding like me! It just isn't right."

"I think Reyes and Doggett are excellent investigators, Fox. They are making quite a name for themselves."

"Now you're making me jealous-suddenly I'm itching to go back in the field," Mulder gave a long-suffering sigh.

"Oh no, Mulder, I'm not you."

"Yeah, you are the bionic woman, I forgot."

"I certainly feel like it, what with work, no work, new work and a new child. And I must be superhuman, since Jenny was able to survive all those times while you were gone."

Mulder knew Scully wasn't trying to make him feel guilty, but he let himself anyway. "Hmm...all that. I think I will still stick with my iron man."

Dana giggled. "Good, I think he will be sorely pissed if you brushed him off now considering the fact that you are probably carrying his child."

"I wish we could be sure about that, Dana."

"Well, I guess we won't fully know until after the child is born. But don't borrow worries, Mulder. I do not want you to go through what I did. You stay safely there at Skinner's and hopefully the boys will be back later this evening."

"Well, looks like this tuna casserole will just have to be for me and the baby," Mulder grinned as his stomach growled in response.

"Tuna casserole?" Mulder could actually hear Dana raising an eyebrow. "I am sure Walter will be highly upset at missing that."

"Don't push it. You were doing so well, there."

"Good night, Fox. Jenny 's going to be up in less than six hours, so I have to get my sleep when I can. And remember, no needless worrying!"

"Good night, my sweet Dana." He made exaggerated kissing noises into the receiver, then hung up on her gentle laughter.

Dana snorted once more before hanging up. She did miss their talks and it was nice to be able to laugh again. She had been on edge for far too long, and she knew that a big part of the problem was not having her best friend around so often. As she went about the apartment shutting off lights and locking doors, she vowed to spend more time with Fox, for the sake of both their sanities.

*~~~*

Walter opened the Mulder house with the keys that Mulder had given him, which he kept on a ring with his own. Alex followed him into the dark house and Walter tried the lights. Some were working, which was handy, although Walter was surprised that the electricity was still on. Probably because Mulder hadn't had time to change anything with the house since he came back.

"Now, what I remember about this iron cabinet that Mrs. Mulder had, is that it was in the dining area, near the china cabinet."

Alex allowed Walter to lead the way. He was getting miffed, watching the big man moving in front of him.. It was down right disturbing how Skinner made him feel hot and bothered and yet cold and angry all at once. He was too much like all the other older big men who had taken from him and never given back. Betraying Skinner before was easy. Knowing that this man was responsible for what was happening to Mulder, though he wondered to what extent now, just pissed him off to no end. Watching the man move about and the muscles rippling across his back and shoulders was disquieting to say the least.

Walter moved the furniture about like it was made of paper, and Alex got even more upset when it didn't exactly turn him green with envy but rather red with desire. 'Think about igloos,' he warned himself. 'Iceland, the president, Mulder-'

That did it. But it also pissed him off all over again as his lust started to fade. The object of his affection for so long now was the object of his disgust. 'That's right,' he thought, 'Skinner's the reason Mulder's as fat as a stuffed turkey on Thanksgiving Day.' Half of his mind warred with the other, and just when he thought the 'Walter's a bastard' side was winning, his thoughts of vengeance were interrupted by the other side: 'Will you take a look at that!' he sent the thought to his eyes, and parts south, when he looked up to see Walter flexing muscles all throughout his body as he pushed the iron cabinet away from the wall to get easier access to it from the rest of the furniture.

His musings were interrupted when Skinner huffed, "There. Now see if that key doesn't fit."

Alex nodded, not wanting to break his hold over his control just now by having his voice betray anything. He bent down and stuck the key in and turned it. It unlocked and they both breathed a sigh of relief.

"Let's see what that black-lunged bastard left for Mulder," growled Skinner.

Alex pulled it open with his one good hand and stared into the dark recesses. There, on top of some papers, was a palm pilot.

"Shit! Gimme that!" barked Skinner. But Alex had already reached in before Skinner could take over.

Alex grinned devillishly up at Skinner from his crouched position. Skinner felt like a complete idiot. He should have known better than to trust a jackal like Krycek.

"Listen, Krycek, you want information, I can give it to you, but please-" He cringed at the petulant fear he heard in his own voice, but, with memories of nanobytes past still fresh in his memories and in his nightmares, he was unable to stop it.

Alex's grin broadened. Skinner made a lunge for it and they struggled. Suddenly Skinner gasped and fell away.

"Fuck, Skinner. I didn't do that, I swear!" Alex didn't know if Skinner could hear him, but he knew he hadn't activated anything, and all his former evil thoughts faded away as the big man fell at his feet, gasping in pain.

Alex manipulated the tiny computer in a way he knew how and suddenly Skinner stopped twitching but he was knocked out cold. He reached for his cell phone and voiced several choice Russian cursewords when he thumbed the on switch; it was dead. He had to get a hold of the lovely red haired doctor.