RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Chapter 21: Taking out the Metallikats

The Feral-Furlong family moved into their new home that next weekend. Feral loved the quiet, the privacy, and the new landing field beside the house which made getting to and from work so much quicker though he did have to disable the location beacon so the tower could not track where his home was.

Jeremy adored riding in the chopper as he went back and forth with his mother each day and loved the fenced play yard behind the house, spending hours out there when he was home. He also enjoyed going down to the new dock at the water's edge his father and Uncle Jake had built. He and his father would do some fishing there every now and then.

T-Bone was utterly content with his new home. Knowing his family was safe and Jeremy had more room to play and run without getting into trouble was a godsend. Their life had settled into quiet, domestic bliss. The only downside for him was the distance to the yard and the new hangar site which he had to make on his cyclotron. They didn't want the Turbokat seen anywhere near his home except for absolute emergencies.

As for the construction of their new hangar in a remote spot of the northern mountain ranges, Razor was pleased and relieved when Professor Hackle willingly lent his huge robot to them to do the heavy work.

"A new hangar...in a safer location? That's a very good idea, Razor. Of course, you may use Cybertron II for the job," Hackle said generously.

"Thanks a lot, Professor. I was worried it would take us months and it would have been hard to hide the blasting. This way we'll get it done in half the time and be operational in about two months. We really appreciate this," Razor had said, grinning happily.

"You are most welcome. Just send him back when you are through," Hackle told him, smiling, pleased to have been of assistance.

When Razor left Hackle's lab, the robot raced along easily beside him. It was a long ride to the mountain site of the new hangar and they were making the trip in the dark so Cybertron II would not be seen but it was worth it.

Upon arrival, he showed Cybertron his plans, pointing out what the robots part was in getting the work begun then gave it the option of starting immediately or waiting until morning. It opted to begin immediately with the initial excavation since it didn't need sleep and this part of the job should be done under the cover of darkness anyway. It had been briefed on the need for secrecy and that it would be privy to the SWAT Kats identities. It had been made clear to it that it was not allowed to release that knowledge to anyone, not even it's master.

Pleased and relieved that work would be started on their new hangar, Razor went home to get some much needed rest.

Over the next few months, the hangar took shape. There had been some omega altercations over that time, but with the enforcers new weapons and jets, it was much easier for them to fend off the attacks, even one made by the Metallikats. Though it was Feral himself that had taken them out permanently. That had upset Professor Hackle but he understood there had been no choice in the matter.

It was two months after T-Bone's family had moved into their new home and work on the hangar was nearing completion, that the Metallikats burst on the scene again. It was sometime after midnight on a Wednesday when they struck.

Molly figured, since an assault on the Megakat Mint wasn't such a great idea, then trying to take the train that transported it might be a better option. The high speed money train had just picked up a load of old money headed for the furnace at a secure location not far from the Nuclear Power Plant on the edge of the city.

Mac and Molly set up a trap to force the train to stop in one of two tunnels it passed through. They chose the one furthest from the mint. Hiding in the tunnel shadows their sensitive hearing told them the train was bearing down on them fast. Ten miles from the tunnel they had already set the first of their traps...after all even as powerful as they were, they couldn't possibly stop a train going nearly ninety miles an hour so they put up a warning so the train would be forced to slow down.

Sure enough, they heard brakes being applied and by the time the train reached the tunnel they hid in it was only going about forty miles an hour. Using their forearm missiles, they blew up the tracks at the mid point of the tunnel. The conductor desperately put on the brakes completely but that much steel just couldn't stop fast enough and they hit the damaged track at twenty miles an hour. The engine bounced from the track, hit the ceiling of the tunnel then continued to hurl forward, coming to rest just outside the tunnel entrance. The two money cars plowed forward into the engine, jumped the track and spilled to either side of the tunnel, effectively blocking it so when the guard train came through, it had no where to go and crumbled like tissue paper, killing all aboard.

Once the roar and thunder of the crash had faded away, Mac and Molly came out of hiding outside the tunnel. They had walked around to the rear where they could get past the guard train and reach the money. The two money trains had spilled all its contents everywhere.

"Take only the bags still in one piece! We ain't got time to pick up all the spilled bills," Mac grunted, grabbing two intact bags.

"What do you think...I'm stupid!" Molly snarled at his ridiculous order while she two picked up bags.

Mac wisely, for once, didn't say a word as he shoved his way past wreckage to get as many money bags as he could carry. Once he was loaded up, he made his way back out of the tunnel, followed moments later by his mate.

It looked like they were going to get away scot free as they climbed down a hillside and made for their specialized car hidden in some trees.

However, the pair had been out of commission for nearly a year before managing to reactivate and escape. So they were unaware of the Sabren population coming out of the closet and helping the city and they, especially, didn't know about Feral and T-Bone.

Being night time, Chance was at home with his mate when the alarm went out from Enforcer Headquarters. The tabby was wrapped warmly around his mate when Uly's radio toned.

Grumbling irritably, Feral reached for the radio and barked into it, "Feral!"

"Sir, the money train sent out a distress call which was cut off abruptly. Two patrols were sent to check it out and found the train in the Johnsway tunnel totally wrecked. They are searching for the culprits as we speak, sir!" The dispatch said hurriedly.

"Damn! I'll be on scene as fast I can. Keep me posted!" Feral said tightly, shoving his bedding off and preparing to get up. The dispatch acknowledged the order and cut the transmission.

Meanwhile, Chance had already gotten up and went to their dresser to pick up a special communicator which he quickly depressed a prearranged signal then he reached for his helmet and signaled his partner.

"Jake! Alert! Money train was attacked, unknown assailant! Pick me up asap!"

"Roger! See you in five!" His partner said briskly.

Chance removed his helmet again then went to the closet and pulled out his things. He kept some of his SWAT Kat uniforms here as well as on the jet and hangar. Uly was nearly dressed as the tabby finished putting on his harness and gloves then his helmet again after his mask was on.

An electronic whistle coming from the living room warned them Cybertron I had arrived from Professor Hackle's lab. Knowing the two of them would have to handle calls after hours, it had been Jake who had suggested approaching Hackle about getting the use of the little robot as an emergency kitten sitter.

Hackle had been more than willing and very pleased to have been asked, as it would help him prove robots multiple uses and capabilities to Katkind about the feasibility of using robots to help them with their day to day lives. For Feral and Chance it relieved their mind that their kitten was well cared for and safe.

The arrangement was, when the parents and Razor got called out, Cybertron would be contacted by the communicator Razor had built, letting it know it was needed for duty. Being as fast as a cyclotron, it took it only minutes to reach their home on the other side of the bay from the professor's lab. Fortunately, Jeremy fell in love with the robot and treated it as another playmate.

Now as they raced out to do their duty, they paused to check on their son before meeting Cybertron waiting patiently for them in the living room.

"Hi Cyber, Jeremy is asleep and should stay so until morning. I hope we're back in a few hours. We'll let you know if its longer," Feral told the little robot, giving it a light pat. It chirped at him with assurance that it could hold the fort and to be safe.

Feral could only shake his head at that show of emotion. He'd been told the little robot was partially sentient which weirded him out a bit but it was very good with his son and that was all that mattered.

T-Bone was already out the door and heading to the field where Razor would be arriving any moment. Feral followed, closing the door firmly behind him and locking it. He hurried as he heard the Turbokat coming in for a VTOL landing.

Reaching his chopper as the Turbokat began to ascend with his mate at the controls, he jumped in, pulled on his helmet and gave a shout to the pilot, "T-Bone! Watch your tail! I'll be there as fast as thing will get me there!"

"Roger, love. You be careful too!" T-Bone said through the radio in his own helmet.

The Turbokat kicked on all engines and disappeared quickly from sight. Feral did a quick pre-flight while warming up the chopper. Minutes after the jet had left he was winging his way in their wake.

Arriving in the area, Razor contacted the searching enforcers. "Found the perps yet?"

"No, SWAT Kat. Nothing so far. The trees make it a bit hard and ...what tha?" The pilot exclaimed as he caught sight of an all too familiar vehicle barreling from under the tree canopy some twenty miles from the scene.

"The Metallikats! You guys harry them and we'll try to stop their car!" Razor barked orders.

The enforcers didn't question him as they raced to catch up with the robots then began firing at the specialized vehicle. It didn't take long before the Metallikats began to retaliate, managing to take one of the choppers from the sky, the pilot exiting safely by parachute.

Razor targeted the Metallikat Express' rear and fired a plain old missile. He wanted to take them out quickly. Unfortunately, Mac swerved the car violently and the missile missed, exploding harmlessly into a mountainside. However, Mac's maneuver caused him to lose control and he ended up sending the car into a deep crevasse that ran alongside the road. It plunged down taking out trees and bushes before finally coming to a rest at the bottom against a big tree. By the time they managed to extricate themselves...cursing and yelling at each other...Feral had finally arrived on the scene.

Mac fired a specialized heat seeking missile at the Turbokat, thinking since it had gotten the SWAT Kats off their tail last time it would work again. T-Bone could only groan as he began to take evasive maneuvers but he didn't have to do much before the missile exploded spectacularly some distance from their tail. Bringing the jet around swiftly, he noted his mate had arrived and deduced it had been him that had taken out the missile.

"Crap! How the heck did Feral take that missile out?" Mac shouted in shock as he and Molly scrambled through the rough terrain weighed down with their loot.

"I don't know but you better watch where you're going and keep running!" Molly snapped as she kept to the tree cover to hide from their overhead foes.

Feral saw what they were trying to do and piloted his chopper over the area where he could see the pair every so often. They seemed to be continuing on the same path so far, so Feral risked putting the chopper on autopilot and drawing energy.

He pushed his fist out his wing window and when he managed to acquire a target, fired a scorching blast of energy that struck true and knocked Molly head over heels, scattering loot bags, before her body came to a rest in a jerking heap then went still.

Mac had heard Molly's electronic shriek of pain which made him look behind him. Shouting in anguish, he dropped his bags and raced back to her side, going to his knees to pick her up.

Before he could get over his shock and turn to fire at Feral in angry fury, the Commander quickly put Mac out of his misery. He spared only a moment of sorrow for the necessity because he could see the pair did care for each other but their destructive ways could no longer be tolerated.

Sighing in relief to have them permanently out of his fur, he circled around and searched for a landing spot. After several minutes search, he growled angrily...there was no where to set down, it was just too forested and filled with too many rocks and ledges.

"T-Bone! I can't land anywhere! You'll have retrieve them and the money and get them to Enforcer Headquarters for me."

"No problem, love. Great work by the way, they'll never bother the city again thought Hackle is going to be a bit upset," his mate commented as he sent the jet toward the spot of the fallen pair.

"Yeah, I know but he'll just have to get over it! I've had enough of those two running rampant and they cost more Kats their lives so he should be grateful no has sued him yet for wrongful deaths," Feral rumbled irritably.

"You're certainly right about that. Guess I won't see you for hours. I'll keep the bed warm for you love," T-Bone commisserated with his mate on the fact the dark tom would have to remain to monitor the initial cleanup and notification of next of kin. He didn't envy his mate the grim task.

"You do that. See you later!" Feral grumbled signing off as he summoned backup to begin the cleanup then landed his chopper on the tracks a short distance from the wrecks.

It took T-Bone and Razor a good fifteen minutes to haul up the two robots and the loot then they bid Feral farewell and took off for Enforcer Headquarters. The Commander had already called ahead and reached Steele who was already standing by to meet pair when they arrived.

The sun had cleared the horizon before Feral could finally leave the scene. Steele had traded out with him allowing his superior to go home and get some rest. Since he hadn't used that much energy, he hadn't needed to dump immediately but hours later, the need was pressing on him more and more...becoming really uncomfortable.

He flew home swiftly, relieved when he finally reached his landing field an hour later and was walking up his sidewalk to the front door, minutes later. The door opened before he reached it and his mate stood there waiting for him. He gave the dark tom a strong hug then tugged him in, locking the door behind them then walking with him down to their bedroom.

"How's Jeremy," Feral asked as he began to quickly strip off his clothes with Chance's help.

"Sleeping soundly. Cybertron said he never woke up. I sent him home with our thanks and managed to get a few hours sleep myself until I sensed you getting near and woke to meet you," Chance murmured as he pulled his mate to the bed.

"So glad we have the aid of that little robot...eases my mind a lot," Feral sighed as he let his mate caress and prepare him for power dumping.

"Me too!" Chance said softly as his mouth came down for a kiss ending their conversation and moving on to more important things.