RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Three days later, Blair was released from the hospital. Home had never looked so good to the young man, who stood in the doorway to Apartment 307 and just stared.

"Before you settle down for the day," Jim said pointedly, daring Blair to contradict him, "I have a little surprise for you."

"A surprise?" Blair's face lit up. He followed Jim to the French doors leading to his old bedroom. His partner stepped aside to allow Blair to stand in the open doorway. His jaw dropped.

Before him was a freshly painted room, done in a "My Little Pony" motif. The cheerful border of frolicking ponies contrasted sharply with the remaining pieces of Blair's collection of knickknacks. The crib had sheets and a padded bumper in a coordinated pony fabric, and a brand new mobile of the colorful equines attached to one side. A comfortable looking glider rocker and footstool nestled in a corner next to a small table with a pony-themed lamp. The changing table, in a green gingham print, with pony-printed diapers and related supplies, completed the new nursery.

When he had recovered enough to close his mouth, Blair turned to the man standing beside him. "You did this?"

"Yup. Do you like it?"

"You did this?"

"What's the matter, Sandburg," Jim groused, suddenly on the defensive. "Don't you think I'm capable of doing a little redecorating?"

"Oh, no, Jim . . . sorry." Blair gulped down his surprise. "It's great. I just wasn't expecting anything like . . . this."

"So, you like it?"

"Oh, yeah, I love it. But why? How come now?"

"I had to do something with all that nervous energy. I worried about you, you know." Blair had the grace to blush at the admission. "I couldn't sleep, and I had to keep busy. This was better than the alternative."

Blair nodded sagely, knowing Jim's temper and how he sometimes vented that anger.

"Soooo. . . ." Blair said softly. "Where is Laurene? I thought she might be sleeping."

"I asked Flo to watch her while I went to pick you up. I figure she can babysit a while longer. No arguments," Jim said, stalling Blair's attempt to protest. "And now," he continued, smiling grimly, "you need to get off your feet."

"You're not going to make me go to bed, are you?" Blair whined.

"No, you don't have to go upstairs," Jim agreed, "but you at least need to stretch out on the couch. Come on." He led the way across the room to the couch he'd prepared before he'd gone to the hospital to pick up Blair. The pillow was fluffed, and the afghan was draped across the back, ready to cover its occupant.

Blair cooperated, lying down and letting Jim remove his shoes and tuck the afghan around him.

"Anything you want, just let me know," Jim told him.

"Could you hand me the remote?" Blair smiled up at the fussing Sentinel. Jim handed it to him, and settled down on the love seat, unwilling to leave the young man's side, now that he finally had him home again.

Blair flicked through the channels, not really interested in watching television. He finally turned it off, setting the remote on the coffee table, and released a sigh. Jim looked up from the newspaper he had been pretending to read.

"What's the matter, Chief? Need something?"

"You," came the soft response.

Jim was immediately at his side, kneeling next to the couch. "Are you in pain? Where does it hurt?" he asked, still worried about Blair's health.

"Here," Blair responded, laying a hand over his heart. "I've missed you so much." He pulled Jim's head down, until their lips met in a tentative kiss.

Jim's body quickly responded to the touch. He pulled back, caressing Blair's cheek, brushing stray locks of hair back behind an ear. "Missed you, too, Babe," he breathed. "But I don't think you're quite ready yet. I'm pretty sure Lynne would consider lovemaking a strenuous activity." He smiled, trying to ease his rejection.

"Especially the way we do it," Blair chuckled. "How about being a pillow, then?" He sat up, making room on the couch for his lover.

Jim settled down, pulling Blair's head into his lap. Blair rolled over onto his side, snuggling into the embrace. "Nice," he murmured, as Jim stroked his hair, running fingers through the spiral tangles. Within minutes, he'd fallen asleep. Jim tilted his head back, resting it against the cushions, content simply to have his love home with him again.