RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Lynne handed Blair a sample packet of anti-nausea pills to tide him over until he could get his prescription filled. "If the pills do the trick, and you take it easy at your worship service, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to go. I realize this is an important time of year for the Jewish people."

"Yes, it is," Blair answered simply. "There's something about having kids that makes you want to reestablish your religious roots."

"Not me," Jim inserted himself into the conversation. "Can't say that I've had the least compulsion to go back to the Church."

"Then come to the Synagogue with me," Blair said. "We can bring Laurene. If she gets too fussy, you can take her outside." Then, as a special incentive, "There's food."

"What?" Jim asked, looking surprised.

"Sure. Our Temple always has a big potluck spread after holiday services."

"In that case," Jim chuckled, "get busy taking those pills. We have a church service to attend!"


October 8, 2000, Sunset �
The beginning of Yom Kippur:

"Dinner'll be ready in about ten minutes," Jim called out.

Poking his head from the nursery room's door, Blair shook his head. "Couldn't eat a bite, man. Sorry. I stuffed myself at lunch."

Jim looked disappointed. "You sure? I made that lemon baked salmon you like so much."

"Sounds great, but I couldn't, really. We can wrap my portion, and I'll eat it tomorrow."

"Come out and keep me company, at least?" Jim pleaded, dishing up his dinner and heading for the table.

"I could do that." Blair made one last quick check on the napping baby, and came out to join his partner at the table. "I'm going to services tonight. Want to come?"

Jim looked up with a patented "Do I have to?" look, and took a deep breath. "Well, there's this Jags' game on TV. . . ."

"That's all right, Jim," Blair assured him. "You don't have to make excuses. Besides, Laurene's sleeping. It would be a shame to disturb her."

"Aren't you late?" Jim asked, looking out at the darkened sky, which threatened rain.

"Yeah, actually, I am," Blair admitted. "Do you mind?"

"Just take it easy. If you start feeling nauseous or something, come on home."

"I'm a big boy, Jim," Blair teased. "I think I can take care of myself."

"Then you'd better get going."