RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Two hours later, Jim sat at the bedside of his mate as he lay in recovery.

Eyelids fluttered and opened, searching for and finding his anchor. "Hey, Jim."

"Hey, yourself." Jim stroked a hand across Blair's forehead, brushing stray wisps of hair from his eyes. "How're you feeling?"

"Sore." Blair grinned up at him.

Jim grimaced. "Besides that, Ace."

"Pretty good," came the response. "Still too many drugs to feel much of anything."

"Do you think you feel up to some company when they get you back to your room? Now that we don't have to keep your pregnancy a secret, you've got a whole fan club wanting to wish you well." Jim chuckled, knowing half of Major Crime and a representative liaison from Rainier waited anxiously to see the new father-to-be.

"Sure," Blair agreed. "Sleepy right now," he muttered.

"You just rest, then, Sweetheart. Our friends can wait." Jim leaned over the bed to place a chaste kiss on Blair's forehead. Blair let his eyes slide closed with the gentle reassurance.

An hour later, settled in his private room, Blair began receiving visitors.

Dr. Casey was the first to greet him. "Everything went very well, Blair," she assured him. "You're well on your way to having that son." She smiled. Then, glancing out the door to the small crowd in the hallway, added, "Keep the visits short. You need lots of rest right now."

Blair nodded. "Thanks, Lynne."

"You're more than welcome. I'll be back to check on you in a couple hours. Meanwhile, take it easy, and don't forget to rest."

"I will."

Dr. Casey patted his hand and turned to leave. As she reached the hallway, she admonished the visitors. "Keep it short. Blair will tire easily for a while and I don't want him overly stressed. Go on in, congratulate him, and get out. He'll feel more up to longer visits tomorrow."

"How long will he be in the hospital?" Simon asked.

"I'm keeping him three days," Lynne answered, "just to make sure everything's good to go. Jim is more worried this time out, after what happened with Blair's last pregnancy, so I intend to keep a closer eye on him."

"But everything's fine? You don't expect complications?" Simon prodded.

"No, I don't expect anything out of the ordinary, but with male pregnancies, the chance always exists. It pays to be vigilant. You can go in now, if you like."

"Thank you, Doctor." Simon took Megan by the elbow, and steered her into the room. "I guess congratulations are in order." He grinned at the man in the bed. "At least this time, I know a little better what to expect."

"Hi, Simon, Megan. Yeah, thanks," Blair greeted his friends. "It's kind of a relief not to have to keep it a secret."

"I can imagine," Megan agreed. "Can we see your scar, Sandy?" she asked, with a twinkle in her eye.

"Jim? Wanna help here?" Blair asked. His hands sported enough IV tubing to make fine motor skills difficult.

Jim pulled the blanket down to Blair's waist, then hiked the thin gown up until the small incision, just below Blair's navel, showed.

"That's our son in there," Blair announced proudly.

Megan's hand hovered over the fresh wound, stitched together with black silk. "Amazing," she breathed. "Does it hurt?"

"No. They've still got me on pain meds," Blair answered. "I'll be a little sore tomorrow. It's not too bad." He let his eyes drift shut as a wave of nausea hit him.

"Sandy? Are you all right?" Megan grew concerned as Blair paled, turning his head away from his visitors.

"He'll be fine," Jim said, stroking Blair's hair soothingly. "The general anesthesia makes him a little queasy." Leaning down to be on a level with his lover, Jim crooned at him softly. "It's okay, Sweetheart. It's okay. You need me to get the bowl for you?"

Blair shook his head, swallowing the rising bile and turning back to his visitors. "Sorry," he apologized.

"No need, Sandy. We'd better go. You have some other well-wishers, and you look like you could use some rest," Megan told him.

"Yeah. Thanks," Blair said weakly.

"Take care, kid," Simon said in farewell as he and Megan made way for Joel Taggert.

"You look beat." Joel stood uncertainly by the side of the bed.

"Yeah. Guess I don't feel so hot right now," Blair said, valiantly trying to keep the nausea under control.

"I won't stay, then," Joel said. "I just wanted to let you know everyone supports you. Rafe and Brown wanted to come, but Simon said someone had to stay and hold the fort. I'll tell them to wait until evening visiting hours."

"Thanks, Joel." Blair reached up to take the big man's hand and give it a squeeze. "You're the greatest."

"You take care of yourself, okay?" Joel said, reluctantly letting go of his friend's hand and turning to leave.

Rhonda arrived next with a huge bouquet of flowers and balloons from the female contingent of Major Crime. She stayed only long enough to give her congratulations, and kiss Blair on the cheek.

When Rhonda left, Blair rolled onto his right side, facing Jim, with his back to the door and groaned.

Jim stroked his hair soothingly. "Feeling a bit queasy?" At Blair's nod, he grabbed the emesis bowl and placed it on the bed. "You want me to tell everyone else to wait until later?"

"How many are left?" Blair wondered.

Jim looked up, noticing Simon herding the small crowd toward the exit. Only one man remained. "It looks like Simon told them all to come back later. There's only one visitor left--Dr. Stoddard."

"Eli?" Blair asked, opening his eyes. At Jim's nod, he pushed himself back up. "Tell him it's okay."

Jim motioned, and Eli Stoddard entered the room. "Hello, Blair. I hear you're not feeling too well right now. I won't stay."

"That's okay, Eli. I'm glad you came." Blair managed a weak smile.

"I'm just here to let you know that Chancellor Devereaux has put you on maternity leave for this term. Because you haven't actually begun your new position, the leave will be without pay, but your insurance and benefits are in force, so you don't have to worry about medical bills."

"Thanks, Eli. That's good news," Blair said. "I have to take it pretty easy the first trimester, so this works out all right."

"The Chancellor expects you back to work in January."

"That shouldn't be a problem. The second trimester is usually the grace period." Blair grinned.

"You take care of yourself, Blair," Eli told his young colleague, placing a hand on Blair's shoulder. "And congratulations. Everyone is very excited for you. Come visit us when you can."

"You bet," Blair agreed.

"Good-bye, then," Stoddard said, turning to leave.

"Good-bye," Blair called after him. After Stoddard had gone, Blair closed his eyes again.

"Time to get a little shut-eye, eh, Chief?" Jim said softly.

Blair nodded, and smiled, eyes still closed. "Sit with me?"

"Just try to get rid of me," Jim agreed, settling himself in the chair next to the bed.