RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Blair's eyes swept over the audience, picking out Jim, seated in the front row, smiling broadly. His gaze then settled on the dissertation committee. The public presentation of his research had taken close to two hours. It was now eleven forty-three. "Any questions?"

Eli Stoddard cleared his throat and looked up at his apprentice. "In your case studies, it would appear that you've only found one subject that actually fits the criteria for a sentinel. How can you base your conclusions on just the single subject?"

"Actually, sir, I had two subjects that fit the criteria of a full-fledged sentinel. However, one of the subjects had no one to guide her in the use of her senses. They ran out of control, and she went insane. I was able to study my other subject closely for over three years. Beyond that, I have documented several hundred examples of people possessing one or more heightened senses, how they developed and how they are being used.

"Actual sentinels, while always somewhat rare, I believe, were more common in our distant past. They are now found almost exclusively in isolated hunter/gatherer tribes of South America and Africa. To find a person with these abilities in urban Cascade was a stroke of incredible luck on my part.

"My studies of this subject simply served to reinforce what I had learned from my sampling of other subjects, and what Burton had expounded upon in his book The Sentinels of Paraguay. I didn't really need this subject to draw valid conclusions from the data I'd collected. He only served to prove conclusively that I was correct in my assumptions."

Blair took a deep breath, and watched as the committee members whispered among themselves. He waited nervously until Dr. Stoddard spoke again.

"Thank you very much, Blair. That was a fine presentation. If you will be so kind as to step outside, the committee will discuss their decision." Then, turning to the audience, he dismissed them as well.

The auditorium slowly emptied as Blair stood outside the heavy oak doors, nervously chewing on a finger. Jim approached and wrapped an arm around his shoulder.

"You knocked them dead in there, just like I thought you would."

"I'm not so sure," Blair hedged. "I was pretty much obfuscating my answer to Stoddard. One subject is a statistically invalid sampling."

"You had two subjects, Hon. You said so yourself," Jim reminded him.

"Alex Barnes doesn't really count. I didn't know her long enough, or have enough time to study her or talk with her to include her data in the dissertation. Besides, twice nothing is still nothing. Eli might have killed me with that question of his. And no one else said anything. That's not a good sign, Jim."

"Look, Blair. It's noon. I suspect they're just anxious to get out of here and get on with their lunch breaks." Jim smiled. "I've got a feeling you're going to be all right."

"Jim!" Blair glared at him aghast. "You weren't listening in on the committee, were you?"

Jim's face shone with angelic innocence. "Would I do a thing like that?"

Before Blair could answer, a female TA opened the heavy doors. "You can come in now."

Blair looked nervously at Jim, straightened his tie, and walked through the doors, back to his place at the podium.

Eli Stoddard looked up from the printed and bound version of Blair's dissertation. Their eyes met, and his mentor smiled warmly at him. "Congratulations, Dr. Sandburg. Welcome to the faculty."

"Don't just stand there," Jim prodded when Blair didn't respond immediately. "Say something."

"I - I, uh, thank you. Thank you very much." Blair stepped down from the stage and met Stoddard halfway. The older man pulled the new Doctor of Anthropology into a huge bear hug.

"It's about time, kid. Damn, I'm happy for you."

"Thanks, Eli. Thank you for putting up for me, for having the patience and not giving up."

"You were worth every minute, Blair. You have a fine mind--a little quirky, perhaps, but you see things others don't. It's a rare quality." He slapped the young doctor on the shoulder. "I hear there are other congratulations in order, as well. I should have known that you, of all people, would try something as unusual as getting pregnant."

"Well, you know how it is, Eli. The system frowns on gay couples adopting. This was a viable alternative. Besides, it gave me time to finish up my thesis."

"I hope you'll invite me by sometime to meet the new member of your family. How old is she now?" Stoddard asked.

"Nearly seven months. You should see her, Eli. She's amazing! She evens says "da-da" now. Jim and I are still arguing over which one of us she means." Blair grinned. "You're joining us down at Bailey's Pub for the celebration, aren't you?"

"Wouldn't miss it for the world."

"See you there around eight, then?"

"On the button."