RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Megan walked over and perched herself on the corner of Jim's desk. "You don't look so good this morning. Want to talk about it?"

Jim looked up at his colleague with a look that said clearly, "Go away, and leave me alone." But Megan was stubborn. Folding her arms across her chest, she stayed put. Jim finally sighed, putting down his pen, and giving the Inspector his attention. "Blair moved out yesterday, okay?"

"And how does that make you feel?" Megan probed.

"Look," Jim growled. "I don't need your sympathy or your counseling." When Megan refused to budge, he admitted, "I didn't sleep last night. The loft was too quiet."

"He misses you, too," she said quietly.

That brought Jim's head back up. "How would you know?"

"I know Sandy," Megan stated firmly. "He loves you, and is hurting as much, if not more, than you are."

"I told him to get out," Jim murmured, almost to himself. "I said I wanted a divorce."

"Do you?"

Jim held up his left hand, still wearing both rings. "Does this look like I really want that?" He paused. "Blair didn't leave any messages, and he hasn't called. I don't know where to start looking for him."

"What would you do if you found him?"

"Tell him what an ass I've been. Ask him, no, beg him, to come home." Jim sighed. "I made a big mistake, Megan. Blair was right. It's not his fault we're having problems right now. He's done his best to make things right. He even tried to woo me at breakfast yesterday."

"Woo you?" Megan chuckled. "How did he do that?"

Jim's eyes became glassy as he remembered. "He'd left a rose on my plate . . . and fixed my favorite breakfast. He was so tired. I could see it in his eyes. He'd barely slept, yet he got up early to cook for me."

"And what did you do?" Megan asked gently.

"That's when I told him I wanted a divorce. I yelled at him to get his stuff out of my apartment."

"Oh, my. Well, I can see where you have some big explaining to do." Megan took a chance, and reached out for Jim's arm. She rubbed it soothingly for a few seconds, then dropped the other shoe. "Sandy's staying with me." Jim looked up sharply. "He's got some exciting news that I know he'd love to share with you."

"News? What news?" Jim begged.

"Why don't you follow me home after work, and ask him yourself?" With that, she slipped off his desk and crossed the bullpen to her own station. Jim's eyes followed her, his mind reeling.