RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Simon came bursting through the waiting room doors, followed closely by Megan Connor. Scanning the room, he quickly spotted his detective slouched in a chair near the nurses' desk. He walked over and dropped a large hand onto Jim's shoulder.

"Any news?"

Jim looked up, weariness ringing his eyes. "Not much, Simon. A doctor came out to tell me it had to do with a separated placenta and massive hemorrhage, but he didn't have anything more to say. We have to wait for Lynne to finish the surgery."

"But the placenta is expelled right after birth," Megan commented, looking puzzled.

"Not in a male pregnancy," Jim explained. "The placenta is left intact, and is absorbed by the body. At least, that's what's supposed to happen."

"But Sandburg can't do anything the easy way," Simon interjected, shaking his head.

"Yeah, trouble still comes looking for him around every corner," Jim answered wryly. There was a pause as he looked at his sleeping daughter, then up into the dark brown eyes of his captain. "I can't lose him, Simon. I can't. Blair's my whole life. I can't raise our daughter alone."

Sinking down into the chair next to Jim, Simon lifted the small bundle from his arms, cradling the infant gently in his large hands. "You'd be surprised what you can do when you have to, Jim." He studied his detective closely. "Blair's going to pull through. He's strong. You have to believe in him. Don't give up on him yet."

"I haven't, Simon, but it's hard, you know?" His ruminations were interrupted by some soft lip smacking, followed by a hearty bellow of hunger. The cry elicited a weak smile from the new father. "She's hungry again," he mentioned unnecessarily.

"Did you bring along the diaper bag?" Megan asked.

Jim looked up at her, perplexed. "Diaper bag? God, no. I wasn't thinking of Laurene when this happened."

"Well, give me the keys to the apartment, and I'll go pick up a few things for you," the Aussie Inspector offered. "Do you have any formula?

"No." Jim shook his head. "Blair's been breastfeeding, and he wouldn't allow a can of formula in the house."

"I'll pick one up for you, then," Megan said, grabbing the offered keys and heading for the door. She returned within a half hour, loaded down with diapers, bottles and baby accessories.

"Here you go, mate," she said, depositing her load at Jim's feet. "I got the premixed formula. You can feed it right out of the can."

"It's not warmed," Jim protested.

"Don't worry," Simon assured him. "If she's hungry enough, she'll eat it. Trust me."

Megan popped the can open and filled a bottle, handing it to Jim who quickly pushed it into the squalling mouth. Quiet immediately descended as Laurene sucked eagerly at the offering.