RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Megan Connor came home that evening to the luscious smell of Blair's famous lasagne. "Mmmm," she commented, walking in and hanging her coat in the closet. "I didn't expect to come home to find dinner made."

"I hope you don't mind," Blair put in quickly. "You haven't eaten yet, have you?"

"Of course I don't mind, Sandy, and, no, I haven't eaten yet. I'm famished." She wandered into the kitchenette. "What have you got there? It smells wonderful."

"Lasagne and garlic bread. Hope you like it." Blair pulled the casserole out of the oven and slid the bread in to brown.

"Like it? I love it." She moved to the cupboards. "Here, let me set the table while you finish up in here." She carried the plates and glasses over to the small dinette and began setting the table for two.

Laurene let out a wail from the spare bedroom, and Blair dropped what he was doing to rush in and quiet her. After checking for the usual, he concluded that something must have simply awakened her and she was feeling grumpy. She probably realized she was in an unfamiliar place. He bounced her and whispered to her, doing his best to get her to quiet down.

Megan walked in, crossing to soothe both father and daughter. One hand rubbed firmly, but gently, across Blair's shoulders, making small circles between his shoulder blades, while the other petted and caressed the small bundle in his arms. She leaned in to make soft cooing and clucking noises near Laurene's face. Soon the baby quieted, then began laughing at the raspberries Megan blew at her.

"How'd you do that?" Blair asked in wonder.

"Do what?" Megan looked up, surprised.

Blair looked from Megan to Laurene and back again. "You made her laugh. She stopped crying."

"Well, of course, silly," Megan said, lifting the baby from Blair's arms. "You're too tense. You've lived with this for such a long time, you've lost your ability to think beyond the moment." She made funny faces at the infant, laughing when Laurene made a grab for her pouting lower lip. "That's a good girl," she cooed. "Funny girl. We'll get along just fine, won't we, Honeycakes?"

Blair just smiled, and shook his head. Maybe this moving out thing was a good deal after all.

Later that evening, while Blair nursed Laurene, curled up in Megan's overstuffed arm chair, they talked.

"I know it's been hard on Jim," Blair admitted. "With his sentinel senses, he's so sensitive to the extra noise. It's bad enough for me. I can't imagine what it must be like for him."

Megan smiled, warmed by the trust Blair was putting in her to help them. "It must be hard on the both of you, not getting enough sleep and all. Tempers get on a short wick when you're tired."

"Tell me about it," Blair groaned. "I know Jim doesn't mean half the nasty things he says to me, just like I don't mean what I say to him. We're just so tired all the time . . . I don't think either of us realizes what we're saying."

"Sometimes, silence is the best response," Megan put in sagely. "Still, a lot of bad feelings have passed between you. Do you really think that you'll separate permanently?"

"God, I hope not," Blair sighed. "I miss him already."