RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Jim came home that evening, prepared to do battle if he needed to. Blair had been plenty angry that morning, and Jim had no reason to believe he felt any differently this evening. He opened the door to the apartment, and was stunned by the quietness that greeted him. Everything was neat and in order, just the way he liked it. And quiet. Too quiet.

He opened his senses to the maximum, looking and listening for signs of life. Panicked at the stillness, he started in the nursery, noting that many of the supplies were missing, but none of the toys or decorations. Leaving the French doors hanging open, he rushed upstairs to find their bedroom also strangely empty. It wasn't just the lack of Blair, it was the lack of Blair's things. He searched the closet and dresser drawers, finding most of Blair's clothing gone.

Back downstairs in the bathroom, Blair's shaving and hair supplies were also missing, along with his toothbrush. Jim opened the hamper lid, and saw only his own dirty clothes there. He circled the loft, looking for clues, and spotted a golden glint on the table by the door.

Rushing over, he found the plain gold band on the table. Picking it up, he read the inscription inside, which said, simply, "Forever." I guess maybe it wasn't forever after all, Jim mused, finding his vision becoming blurry with tears.

Taking the ring, he went and dropped onto the couch, turning the golden circle around and around in his fingers. Blair, what have I done?