RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


At a quarter to one that afternoon, there was a knock at the door. Blair opened it to find a puzzled Megan Connor standing in the hall.

"What's up, Love? You sounded upset when you called." She eyed the pair of suitcases sitting next to the door with a bit of trepidation. "Nothing's wrong, I hope?"

"Everything's wrong, Megan," Blair sighed. "Since Christmas it's just been building and building. This morning Jim and I had another fight, and he asked for a divorce. He wants me to move out. Today."

Megan eyed the suitcases again. "And you're ready to leave? Just like that?"

"Not 'just like that', Megan. This has been going on for six weeks. We can barely stand to be in each other's presence anymore."

"Whatever happened? I've noticed Jim's been moody at work, but he never talks about it."

"Would you like to come in?" Blair motioned toward the couches. "Can I get you a cup of coffee, or something?"

"I really have to get back, Sandy. I can't stay long," Megan apologized.

Blair sucked in a big breath, and let it out slowly. "Okayyyy . . . well, I guess I'd better get right to the point then." He looked at the Aussie Inspector, and saw a friend looking back. "I have to leave today. I'm taking Laurene, and we're moving out. I need somewhere to stay, until I can find an apartment of my own. I was wondering. . . ."

Before Blair had even finished his rushed speech, Megan was digging in her purse. "Here," she said, handing him a set of keys. "You know where I live. Go, make yourself comfortable. I've got a spare bedroom--it's yours."

"Thanks, Megan." Blair felt relief flood through him. "I mean, really, thanks. We won't be a problem, honest. Damn," he said after a moment's thought.

"What is it, Sandy?" Megan looked concerned.

"Well, the reason Jim and I have been fighting so much is because Laur is suffering from colic. She cries all night. We will be a burden. I'm sorry, Megan. I'll get a motel room." He handed back the keys, but Megan refused to take them.

"No worries. I'm not going to let a little crying keep me from helping a friend."

"It's more than a little crying, Megan," Blair tried to explain.

Megan smiled and shook her head. "I know colic, Sandy. Believe me. I can take it. Now, take those keys and get out of here. I have to get back to work." She stood, patting Blair's shoulder as she did. "See you this evening."

"Thanks." Blair said, feeling a bit at a loss over the generous offer. He watched as Megan bounced through the door, throwing a "ta ta" wave over her shoulder as she left.

Blair hauled the suitcases down to the Volvo, packing them in the trunk. He fastened the extra car seat in the back, and checked to make sure he had all the necessities for the baby. He could always come back during the day, when Jim wasn't home, to pick up anything he might have forgotten. With that, he closed the car door and headed back into the building.

He went to the nursery and gathered up Laurene, bundling her warmly against the February chill. As he was walking out the apartment door for what could be the last time, he stopped to pull off his ring, leaving it on the table next to the key basket.