RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


The eight day festival of Chanukah ended exactly two weeks before Christmas. The last candle had barely been blown out before Blair started nagging his partner about getting a tree.

"Come on, Jim, you'll love it. It smells great, looks pretty; it's a sensory feast you should look forward to."

"It's a mess. Pine needles all over the floor. . . ."

"Come on, man. I'll clean up after it, I promise. We have to have a tree!"

"How about we buy an artificial one?" Jim suggested. "You wouldn't have to water it or clean up after it."

"That's not the same, Jim, and you know it. Heck, we live in Christmas tree country--they're all around us."

"I saw a lot just down the block," Jim suggested, beginning to give in.

"Aw, no, Jim. . . . Not one of those farm-cut, perfectly trimmed things. Let's get a permit and go up into the mountains to find our own."

"You've got to be kidding! It's snowing out there, and it's worse in the mountains."

"Flo could watch Laurene while we're gone," Blair continued, ignoring his partner's protests.

"Blair. . . ." Jim turned his best puppy dog look on the younger man, who didn't buy it for an instant.

"Oh, come on, Jim. It'll be fun. We can start out early in the morning, and be home by afternoon. That will give us plenty of time to get the tree set up and decorated." Blair, whose energy level had returned with a vengeance after his last hospital stay, fidgeted excitedly next to his partner.

Wild curls bounced, blue eyes sparkled, and Jim knew his cause was lost. Blair wanted a tree, Blair would get a tree, the very best he could find in the mountains surrounding Cascade. "Think there's time to pick up the permit this evening after work?"

"Yes!" Blair pulled his fist down in a victory gesture.

"Guess I'd better get going, then," Jim sighed, plucking his heavy leather coat from the hook and slipping into it. Blair draped a wool scarf around his neck for a bit of extra protection. "Thanks, Chief." He leaned in to kiss his partner good-bye and found himself smothered by 160 pounds of enthusiastic lover. Blair had taken advantage of Jim's hold on him to jump up and wrap his legs around his lover's waist.

"You won't be sorry, Jim. I promise." His lips found Jim's once again and latched on with a ferocity that usually meant a quick, hard lovemaking session was about to ensue.

Reluctantly, Jim pulled back from the kiss and pushed gently at Blair's shoulders. "I have to go, Blair. We can continue this after I get home, okay? Just hold the thought." He smiled warmly, trying to take the sting from his words.

Blair slipped down, landing on his feet with a thud. "I'll make arrangements with Flo," he said. "Maybe she'll keep Laurene overnight so we can get a really early start tomorrow morning."

"Methinks the lad has other plans for the eve," Jim smirked, pinching Blair's cheek.

"Well, a little workout before we do all that hiking through the woods would be good insurance, don't you think?" Blair smiled back, putting on his most innocent, wide-eyed look. "You've always stressed to me the importance of a good warm-up before a heavy exercise session."

"Now you listen to me." Jim rolled his eyes in exasperation. "I gotta go. You have any plans for the day?"

"Just finishing typing the final copy of the dissertation. It's going to be such a great feeling to have that done. Sort of like giving myself a little Christmas present."

"Good luck. Don't work too hard."

"Same to you, Big Guy. Hurry home." Blair closed the door behind the exiting Sentinel and leaned heavily against its firm support. He took several long, cleansing breaths: in through the nose, out through the mouth, until the persistent aching in his groin finally subsided and he could get on with his day.