RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Chapter 9: Preparing for an Enforced Vacation

Aras called his contacts and was relieved when his 'friend' was free and intrigued enough to be willing to take on the 'babysitting' job of keeping a huge city safe and in one piece. His friend arrived on a red-eye flight and slipped into Feral's office without much fanfare.

Feral was still not happy about this strange way of watching his office but he soon warmed up to the lean, quiet tom. The Kat was efficient, economical with his words, and very sharp. He was so non-descript that he nearly faded in the background but when he did speak, one found themselves listening to the soothing and understanding tenor voice. It was nearly hypnotic and held your attention.

Steele was like putty in this Kat's paws when, the inept second in command was introduced to Jason Brown and told he would be a temporary new assistant from another country that was learning about how a big city's defense was handled. Steele never guessed that Brown had forgotten more about security and the spy business than Steele had ever learned in the academy. Feral had to admit, he felt a bit more easy about letting go of his command temporarily.

Aras was relieved but he knew his mate could still worry and obsess while he was on 'vacation' so he went one step further and obtained two of the latest in electronic marvels of the age to ease his mate's guilt at being away from his post.

Laptops were still the Cadillac of the computer world. Only the very wealthy could afford one and Aras had purchased two. A colleague of his programmed both computers and made them ready for Feral and Brown to use.

Now, despite how far away he would be, Feral would be able to keep tabs on what was going on in his city. Aras gave his mate the laptop at the same time he gave Brown his and had them learn how to talk to each other and set up special passwords and accounts to handle the information they would transmit to each other.

His mate grinned like a kitten though he had some hesitation at the expense of his new toy. Aras just reassured him that the cost wasn't a hardship and that he just wanted his mate happy and relaxed. Feral sighed, still thinking it was a rather extravagant gift but enjoying it anyway.

Aras' next task after making the arrangements for their temporary retreat, was to convince Dr. Langer of the benefits of his patient going somewhere quieter.

Langer was put out at first, but when he learned his patient was leaving his job as well as the city for the rest of the pregnancy, he sighed in relief. He'd still harbored doubts Feral would be able to keep the kitten after all the problems that his patient endured over the past two months. The last three were going to be even more difficult for the Commander but going somewhere quiet gave him a better chance of succeeding.

Now the only difficulty was finding a specialist in the country they were going to and getting that physician to be willing to take such a high risk patient. It took more than an hour of tracking down the doctor Langer knew, then another hour and a half convincing the doctor to take Feral on. Finally, everything was settled and Langer drew up the documents necessary to get Feral medical leave from the Enforcers. He promised to transmit Feral's medical history to his new doctor asap.

Aras already knew the Mayor would not like it but, thankfully, medical orders superseded all other authority.

Sighing in relief that the important arrangements had been made, though it had taken more than two weeks to accomplish, Aras turned his attention to the more mundane things that needed doing in preparation for a trip of some duration.

On Thursday morning, Aras dropped Feral's medical leave request on the table beside his mate as they were finishing their breakfast.

Feral frowned over at Aras questioningly.

"That's your medical leave request, I promised. Take these to Mayor Manx today and by Monday we will be off to our temporary new home." Aras told him.

"Humph! So where are we going?" Feral grumbled as he got up from the breakfast table and went to get his coat.

"That's a surprise. Now while you're at work, I'll be packing what we need to take and handling the closing of your apartment. I'll let the building security know you'll be gone." His mate said briskly, helping his mate on with his coat.

Feral's clothes had to be widened to accommodate his increasing girth. His coat couldn't be buttoned, much to his disgust. It made him feel untidy and unprofessional.

"Don't forget the fridge has to be cleared out and the mail transferred." Feral rumbled as his mind ran over everything that needed to be done for such a lengthy absence.

"Don't worry. I'll even make sure your vehicle is given a startup on a regular basis. I'm sure your very excellent assistant, Sgt Fallon can be counted on to keep an eye on things for you."

Feral nodded and sighed in resignation. "Alright, see you later." He picked up the file with the documents and left his apartment.

Aras had been right, Mayor Manx wasn't happy.

"How can you leave when those horrid omegas could attack at any time." The portly Kat shouted, slamming his pudgy fist onto his expensive desk.

"Believe me! I have no desire to go on medical leave but I have no choice." Feral said flatly.

"Mayor Manx, you don't want to be responsible for Commander Feral losing his kitten simply because we can't make the effort to be without him." Briggs interrupted sharply. Anger and disgust making her eyes flash with fury.

"Ahh, I didn't say that Callie...it's just so sudden." Manx raised his paws and backing off a bit in the face of her outrage.

"The doctor made it very clear that the Commander must be away from all this stress and danger if he's to have a successful end to his pregnancy. He's already insured his second is up to date and ready to take command. You have no authority to refuse since the doctor's authority trumps yours." Callie said flatly, her arms crossed over her chest.

"Very well. I truly hope its not longer than three months, Feral." Manx said reluctantly as he signed the leave document and handed it back to Feral.

Feral took it from him. "I certainly hope not." Then he turned to leave. As he went down the hall to the elevator, he was surprised to see Ms. Briggs just behind him and signaling him to wait.

She gestured for him to step into an empty office for a moment. He did so, a puzzled look on his tired features.

"Commander, we both know your second is incompetent so have you made arrangements in some way to insure the city is safe and the enforcers don't revolt?" She asked, a deep frown of concern on her pretty face.

"As a matter of fact, Aras did. I didn't like the idea at first but now, I have to admit his idea should work." Feral responded.

"And that is...?"

"An old spy friend of his that's partly out of the game now and was interested in handling a city this size just for a challenge. Boredom apparently was the reason for part of his decision. The Kat's credentials are impressive and I was pleased at how quickly he'd picked up what needs to be done in my command. He has Steele around his finger already. I will be in touch by laptop nearly everyday so I won't be out of the loop. That's the best I could do." Feral said spreading his paws and shrugging his shoulders in a sign of resignation.

"Well that's good to hear. What's his name? I'll get in contact with him so he and I can work together when need be." Callie sighed in relief.

"Jason Brown. Here's his cell number. Thank you for being so understanding and willing to accept this situation. We don't see eye to eye on a lot of issues but I'm glad we do on this." Feral said in pleased surprise.

"So am I. Just take care of yourself, Commander and try not to worry about us too much." Callie told him sternly. She pointed a finger at Feral's expanding belly. "That is all that should be on your mind for the next three months. Have a safe trip."

"I'll try Ms. Briggs and thank you."

She just smiled and waved him off as she turned around and went back down the hall to her office.

Feral smiled to himself, 'Well that certainly went better than I expected. Maybe I will be able to get some real rest on this enforced trip. We'll see.'

He returned to his office and completed the last of the projects he had been working on personally, brief Steele on what cases required close monitoring and reports that required completion over the next few weeks (though it was really Brown he was directing his comments to).

In an easier state of mind, despite knowing he wouldn't be back for three months, Feral headed home. Aras was waiting with dinner for him. Giving him a warm kiss, he helped his mate undress then walked him out to the kitchen where they enjoyed a quiet meal.

Aras told him everything was ready to go. This weekend they would relax, do laundry, final mailing of bills, and tidying up before leaving Monday morning.

"Your car keys will be left with the security guard and he'll hand them over to Sgt Fallon when he arrives in the evening to make sure everything is secure." Aras told his mate.

"Good. I was pleasantly surprised to receive support from Ms. Briggs when the Mayor tried to be difficult. She caught me before I left to ask about Jason so that she could form a loose liaison with him so the two of them can keep things running smoothly. We may not like each other but its nice to see her set that aside and look out for my enforcers." Feral said happily.

Aras smiled. "That's good to hear, my love. Now you won't worry as much. So, let me get the dishes and you go sit in your recliner and rest a bit before we head to bed." He shooed his mate as he cleared the table.

Feral smiled back and walked out to the living room to watch some TV.

When they'd showered and went to bed that night, Aras caressed his mate's belly. At certain points during his pregnancy, Ulysses didn't want sex and his mate respected that but tonight, the dark tom was in a mellow mood and accepted Aras questioning touch.

Because movement was difficult for his mate, Aras took the dominant role. He reared up so that he could give his mate a kiss without the tom having to roll from his side. His paw caressed the enlarged breasts, titillating them gently as they were very sensitive now. The nipples took no time to harden into taunt peaks. Ulysses moaned and sighed in pleasure at Aras' familiar and erotic touches.

His mate continued to stroke and caress Ulysses as they kissed. Sometimes, like now, Feral really liked the slow, gentle lovemaking. It soothed as well as aroused him. It really didn't take Aras long to fully heat up Uly then slide himself home in that welcoming sheathe that still was able to grip him tightly and bring him such pleasure. Their orgasm was a gentle wave of shuddering pleasure.

They lay quietly just catching their breath. Feral was nearly asleep when a hard thump got his attention and made him groan in pain.

Aras rose up again behind his mate and placed a palm over the huge belly, massaging the spot that was rippling visibly.

"Seems our little one wasn't happy about our recent activity, love." He said in mild amusement.

"I got that already. Geeze that hurt." Feral groaned.

"I'm sorry love, seems we have a very strong and vigorous kitten." Aras murmured leaning over to kiss the spot where the limb had hit its mother. It seemed his massaging and voice worked because the kitten quieted.

Feral just sighed and tried to relax again. Aras massaged his mate's back down to his buttocks gently to ease him into sleep. He was rewarded by a soft snore. He smiled and settled down behind his mate and was soon asleep.