RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +



Author's Chapter Notes:
The enemy makes a move to sneak past Hogwart's wards.



*~*~*~*~*


Harry
*************

It felt so good to cuddle in Gersey's lap. It wasn't sexual although my body was taking notice of his scent and the feel of him against me. It was just . . . being with him. We had stopped talking finally and I relaxed against his chest, listening to his heartbeat. I didn't want to ever move again.

"I missed you, Harry. The next time I leave, I'm giving you a cell phone. Owls don't work when I'm surrounded by muggles." He nuzzled my temple and I smiled. "I'm not kidding, little love, I felt like you'd disappeared except for my dreams."

I sat up straight and looked at him. "You dreamed me? I dreamed you every night. It was almost like having you there. I kind of hated to wake up some mornings."

He smiled and brushed back my hair again. "Me, too. On the plus side, I wrote like a demon for Peter because I wanted to get back here so badly."

"Will you play some of them for us?" I asked eagerly.

"Certainly, since most of them were written for you, little love." He cupped my chin and ran his thumb over my lips. "Peter thinks I'm sickening for something. I told him that I was lovesick."

I smiled and blushed at the same time. I loved hearing him say that. "Me, too. I missed holding you and hearing your voice."

"Peter let me have one of the CD's we cut so you could hear the new songs even if I'm not here. I've got a CD player for you, Harry. Call it a late birthday present." He kissed me gently and I licked my lips to get more of his taste, while I thought about my wonderful birthday.

But just when I thought we might get serious, Gersey started. "Damn, Mum has called in the big guns. Up you get, Harry, I'll introduce you to some more family."

I wondered what he meant but hurried to get up so we could go see what was happening. We were soon back at the house and the front door was standing wide open. When we came inside, I saw three ladies that I'd never met before. One of them was tall, dark-haired and beautiful. She had a heart-shaped face and beautiful almost almond shaped eyes that lit up when they saw Gersey.

"Dear Gersey, how very virile you look." She stood and sauntered over to us while I fought with an urge to curse her so she wouldn't get too close. But then her gaze dropped to me and she raised an eyebrow. "Robbing the cradle, Gersey? I thought better of you."

"Arwen, you're looking beautiful as always." He smiled at her and put an arm around my shoulders to pull me close. I approved of that and hugged him with both arms. "I'd like you to meet Harry Potter. We'll be bonding on his 18th birthday so hands off unless you want to pull back a stub."

His voice never changed a note from compliment to warning and I grinned up at him for putting a date on our bonding. I just hoped that I could wait that long. She surprised me though and laughed a kind of tinkling laugh that made me want to join in. Her hand raised my chin a little so she was looking into my eyes and I saw them go unfocused for a moment.

"Earlier is better, little one. You will fight for what is yours and reclaim your heritage from the Dark." Her voice was odd and when she blinked, I knew that she'd had a vision. Her eyes went to Ger's and they exchanged a kind of cryptic look. "I wish you luck with this one. He's going to run you ragged and love you to distraction."

Gersey laughed and so did I. "Thank you, Ma'am. I promise I will."

"Goodness gracious me, little Ger is bonding, too?" Another voice came from behind Arwen and a white-haired giantess crossed to us.

"Granny," Ger managed to say before being hugged off his feet. I watched wide-eyed at the sight. "It's been too long since I had one of your hugs."

"Well, if'n ya'd coom to visit more than once a year on me birthday, ya would na be so lackin'. And this is yar brave young lad, is it?" She let Gersey go and gently brushed my hair back from my forehead. "Yar a wee one, aren't ya, laddie? But with a 'eart as big as the sun. Welcome ta the family, Harry Potter." And then I was lifted right off my feet and hugged really well but more gently than she'd done her grandson.

I'd finally figured out that she must be Mum's mother so I hugged her right back and kissed her ruddy cheek with a soft 'thank you'. The room was filled with people and all the chairs were taken so Gersey and I went to sit by the stove. I met the third giantess then and she told me to call her Aunt Illona while she pinched my cheek tenderly. Every time I turned around, my family was growing.

I couldn't seem to stop smiling and I leaned into Ger so he could put an arm around me. When Voldemort was destroyed, I had so much to look forward to. But once tea was passed around and some of those cinnamon sugar biscuits that Severus and I liked so much, they got down to business. And I got scared really fast at their news.

**********
Draco
**********

Charlie and I walked home through the Forest. How odd that the small house near the lake had come to mean home to me, I thought wistfully. Without seeming to, I watched my companion's far away look. His father had taken him aside after our training and he'd been distracted ever since. I hoped that Arthur Weasley hadn't told him to stay away from me, although I wouldn't have blamed him if he had. I knew that I wasn't what the Auror would want for his son, money and pure blood status aside; I really had nothing to recommend me to their family.

And I still had an irrational fear of sex that colored everything I did with Charlie. I'd be feeling really good, laughing and joking then he'd say something or touch me and I'd freeze. Severus had taken me through the whole rape once he realized that I was still dreaming it. He'd put me under a spell that I'd never heard of before. I floated between the past and the present and he guided me through the whole disgusting event.

But I was one step removed from it and I watched the old Draco get raped; heard every nasty word he'd poured into my ear; saw my father watching with an uplifted eyebrow; and watched the explosion of green energy pass from me to MacNair. While I was still between, Severus showed me the small tendril of energy that bound me to my rapist and he helped me cut it, severing any link between us.

I hadn't had a nightmare since and I felt stronger than ever before. Mainly because Sev had also shown me the golden reservoir of energy that I now had to draw upon. Did I wish that I'd had someone gentle to initiate me into power? Yes, but I'd learn a long time ago that wishes don't come true. That said, sometimes late at night, I still made a wish on a star even while part of my brain chided me for it.

Charlie Weasley was just as far away from me as those stars were.

"Draco, what's wrong?" His voice brought me back to the here and now.

I smiled a little, he sounded like Severus for a moment. "Nothing, just thinking about the past and wondering what's for dinner."

"Dad said that a new regulation just came down from the Ministry." He pushed back a lock of hair that had escaped his ponytail and sighed. "It makes it illegal for any Auror to take a position on the governing boards of any corporation."

"Really?" I thought about that and smiled. "They've got the wind up and they're trying to head me off before I get started. That's good."

"Good?" He frowned at me. "I thought that you wanted some of the Aurors to go on one of your boards?"

"I did but it's better if they're forbidden. This way I can go in front of the press and tell them sadly that the Ministry is keeping them from helping their fellow wizards. With all the chicanery that the lawyers have discovered, it would have been awfully nice to have intelligent, law abiding Aurors to help me bring my businesses back to honesty."

"Hell, Draco, you look like an innocent angel when you say that." Charlie was smiling again and he gently ruffled my hair. "So, it's not a bad thing?"

"No, it will work in our favor when I disenfranchise the current members of all the boards." I thought about it. "They should get their letters tomorrow by owl. I can hardly wait to hear the screams of outrage. Some of them depend on their salaries as trustees to keep up with their neighbors." I caught his quick flinch at that and inwardly sighed. He didn't have a ruthless bone in his body. "Of course, I've made sure that their children have scholarships to Hogwarts so they won't suffer."

"I love the way that you think ahead, Draco." He smiled again and I memorized it for later. He had the most beautiful smile and it always gave me a twinge whenever he flashed it my way.

"It looks like there's company." I said when we reached the crowded clearing. Raised voices from the house didn't sound familiar and our steps quickened to see who it was. The introductions were numerous when we got inside and learned what was going on.

Charlie looked pole-axed when he met Arwen Innes and I sighed silently. Damn, just when I was dreaming a little innocuous dream, reality had to crash in. I kissed each lady's hand and bowed politely, accepting their exclamations of 'more family' with a little wish that it were true. Although I'd never admit it, I felt safe being a member of the Hagrid family.

After getting a piece of apple crumble, I sat down on the floor by Harry so he could catch me up on the situation. It was the first time that I'd heard of Geil MacPherson and Granny was tight-lipped at his membership in her family. He was a black sheep of the clan and she was practically gnashing her teeth at his further betrayal. Voldemort was using him to try and get a toe-hold into Hogwarts.

Our elders were all talking back and forth above us but Harry had his thinking look on and I know that I was considering a way to let Geil in and at the same time, keep him out. I told Harry about my idea and he grinned then told me what he'd been thinking. It would work and still keep the Dark from the warded grounds.

Now, all we had to do was wait for a lull in the conversation to share our idea.

***********
Charlie
***********

I licked my fingers and wished we'd gotten back earlier. Rubeus' apple crumble was delicious but his Mum's was pure ambrosia. Without seeming to, I watched Draco to make sure he was all right. It seemed like that was my only goal in life these days. After Severus and I had our little chat, I'd had to swim the lake about six times to get rid of the anger or at least transmute it into energy I could work with.

When I first met the teenager, I'd only thought of how handy he was with Ss-serens. But something had happened when I came back with the vitamin supplements she needed and overheard the little elf tell him that one of the death eaters had murdered his own son for Voldemort. He'd taken it so calmly and I thought at the time how brave he was and how lucky that he'd escaped his father in time. I just hadn't realized that he hadn't escaped unscathed.

His cool blond looks had stirred something inside of me. Something in his wounded soul called to me. I've always wanted to take care of the rare and beautiful dragons from the moment I first saw one. Perhaps it was his name or his angelic looks or his acerbic wit but Draco was no less rare or precious to me now. I wanted to take care of him, make him smile and watch his Machiavellian plans unfold.

Dad had asked me straight out what was going on between us. I told him that I was his friend and that he might never return anything more than friendship. He sighed and hugged me close, telling me to be careful with both of our hearts. I didn't have the heart to tell him of the rape. Severus had only told me because of the direction our paths seemed to be taking. I'd been rather bewildered by his sudden freezing when I touched him even though it wasn't sexual at all.

But now I understood and I would be damned before I ever knowingly scared him. My attention came back to the here and now when I heard his voice. Those cool, educated tones always made me smile.

"Move the gates outwards into unprotected territory with an illusion and with wards that appear strong and sure." He spoke so clearly that the others began nodding. "Then the real gates should be made invisible. Those wards would remain intact so whatever they have planned would happen on neutral ground."

Harry spoke up next. "Then we could erect a magical mirror at the real gates so whatever they do is reflected back to them. Maybe all the way back to Voldemort."

I nodded and silently agreed, listening to the adults begin to elaborate on the bare bones of the teens plans. Draco smiled at me when I whispered 'good thinking' and I fought my urge to touch him, only giving in when he gently patted my knee. When that had become an erogenous zone, I didn't know but it was one now. I exchanged a look of commiseration with the returned Gersey.

I was jealous as hell that he could touch Harry in front of everyone while I had to hold back and pretend to just be a friend. Black's reaction had shown a bit of trouble in the works and I wondered what I could do to help. I understood why he felt the way he did but neither of these teens was the innocent that my littlest brother was. I love Ron dearly and perhaps he'd surprise me but I didn't think he'd survive being cursed the way these two boys had been.

Watching Bill throw curse after curse on them was an exercise in biting my tongue. Only after they were worn out and aching did I get to give them my lessons in the care of dragons and other magical creatures. How sick was that? I often wondered to myself. Rubeus had consoled me when I'd gone to him with my questions. He felt the same way, he said. But all we could do was what we knew best and that meant letting them make mistakes and taking care of them afterwards.

If I only could really take care of Draco, I thought. Hold him, be strong for him and take care of the pain, all of the pain. I found myself looking at him with longing and I quickly dropped my eyes. But it was too late and I heard him gasp. I had to make it right before he fled from me. "Draco, I . . ."

Slim fingers pressed against my lips and I had the insane urge to lick them. "Charlie, we're going to go and sit with Ss-serens while we talk about . . . this."

I nodded shakily and he smiled shyly at me. Looking up, I saw Gersey give me a smile and a subtle thumbs-up. One of these days, I was going to sit down with him and ask for pointers. Later today sounded good to me. The others were talking and dividing up the duties that would put the plan into action. Draco and I slipped out the door and around the corner to the greenhouse.

Ss-serens had claimed it as her own and laid her egg in the coziest dragon's nest that we could build for her. She barely stirred when we slipped inside for our talk. Draco dragged me down one side to the pile of pillows that Severus used when he was reading to her. She liked the Edda Sagas in the original Icelandic and he just happened to be fluent in that language.

"Charlie, I would like to know your intentions." Draco said almost quaintly to my ears but I could hear the note of uncertainty there. "I know that I'm not much of a catch except for the money but are you . . . do you like me?"

Not much of a catch? I thought incredulously. "Draco, you're . . . brave and daring. Intelligent and so much smarter than I am that it's not funny."

"You think I'm smart?" He looked tentatively pleased. "We know different things and you're just as intelligent."

"You think so?" I was grinning foolishly, I just knew it. "You're sixteen and I'm ten years older than you." I had both of his hands in mine and I realized that he was shaking a little. I didn't want that but when I tried to let go, he wouldn't let me. "Are you afraid of me, Dra'?"

"Not really of you, Charlie." He swallowed hard. "But some of the feelings definitely scare me. I don't know anything about making love, being raped yes. Making love doesn't have to be like that, Severus told me so. He spoke to you too, didn't he?"

"Yes, I thought I was doing something wrong when you froze up or suddenly went silent." I brought one of his hands up to my lips and brushed a kiss across his white knuckles on first that hand then the other. "I don't want to hurt you, Draco. I want to hold you and kiss you and make the pain all go away."

He was blinking back tears and he pulled hard on his hands. I let go in dismay, thinking that I'd gone too fast, only to have him hesitantly move into my arms. I hugged him close for a moment than gently held him so he wouldn't feel constrained. He was rigid at first but slowly he relaxed against my chest and I let my hands begin to stroke his back. I tucked him into my side in case I got an inappropriate reaction to his slim weight molded against me.

He felt good and I turned my head just enough so I could lay a kiss on his fair head. We sat half-inclined against the cushions while Ss-serens purred beside us. It seemed we had her blessing too. "All right, Draco? Is this too much?"

I felt the tiny shake of his head and his fingers began to stroke my arm gently. "I was envious of Harry. He can touch Gersey any time he wants. And hug him without flinching or being told no. Watching Sev with Rubeus hurt too, because they love each other so much it makes me ache inside."

"I was jealous, too." I admitted. "I didn't expect to find you here, Draco Malfoy. I've been looking for a couple of years now for someone to be a friend and lover. Now that I've found you, I'm not letting go."

He looked up at me and slowly smiled. "It may take a while, Charlie, but I want that too, to be a friend and lover."

"Then that's what we'll do." I leaned in and brushed my lips very, very gently against his. Over his shoulder, I saw Ss-serens blow a little steam our way and wink a silver eye at me. There was one partisan on our side. Hopefully, there'd be a few more. Finally, I knew what I wanted. And he was definitely worth waiting for.

*************
Remus
*************

Royan stroked my hair and I quivered from the force of my climax. I was still buried within her, my head on her shoulder while I tried to get a little more air into my starved lungs. I'd never been so comfortable in my life or so fulfilled or happy. Sometimes I still pinched myself to make sure that I wasn't dreaming.

"Remus, do you think Dobby could find some more of those green olives?" Her soft voice broke into my stupor and I smiled into her throat.

"If you want them then Dobby will have them." I stretched a little and raised my head to look into her beautiful eyes. "Another craving?"

She grinned. "I just have this urge for that delicious briny taste."

"Well, today's the day that we go see Poppy for the three month check up so we can ask her if it's all right for you to have that much salt." I reminded her.

"I am getting big awfully fast." She looked down at the small mound that was replacing her flat stomach. "Wouldn't it be funny if we were having twins?"

Twins? I froze for a moment but the wolf inside of me barked in anticipation. "Are there lots of dual births in the Hagrid family?"

She chuckled. "Yes, there's at least six sets within my generation and four in Mum's. It's a MacPherson trait." She blinked and for a moment I heard a call inside my mind. "That's Mum calling in the Matriarchs. We need to get up and head for home."

I nodded and eased myself from her warm depths. She kissed me hard and rolled to her side of the big bed that had replaced my single. I joined her in the shower and we washed each other from head to toe before drying off and getting dressed. I looked around at the well furnished bedroom and felt . . . content. Such an odd feeling and most unexpected for the loner that I had been.

The wolf in me was ecstatic at having such a large pack and the man part was just grateful for being loved by the family who'd taken me in. The baby still surprised and disconcerted me. I'd thought that teaching would be my only link to children but now I was going to be a father and that frightened me. I didn't know anything about taking care of babies or nurturing them. What if I screwed up? What if I harmed them while I was in wolf-form?

"Sweetheart, it's going to be all right." Royan's warm hands cupped my face and she kissed me tenderly. "All new parents go through a questioning phase. Will I be a good mother? Will I be as good as my Mum was? What if I drop one of them?"

I didn't want to but I chuckled. "Or hold one upside down? Or stick him or her with the diaper pin? Or get boiled peas spit back into my face?"

"No child of mine will be eating boiled peas." She shuddered. "I hate peas with a passion. They'll have to go to their Uncle Rubeus' to get peas. Rube loves them."

We shared a laugh and finished getting dressed. Since school wasn't in session, we wore our muggle clothes and Royan complained that she'd outgrown another pair of jeans while pulling on a loose skirt. She grumbled all the way down the stairs to the front hall where we met Sirius and Rhea. Now, that was a surprise to me, the fact that Siri had fallen so fast and hard for a woman bigger than him.

Royan was three inches taller than me but slender. Rhea was a full figured woman almost half a foot taller than him. The painter Rubin would have paid a fortune to paint the voluptuous red head. If Siri had been a wolf, he'd have rolled over and exposed his soft underbelly to her, which is pretty much what he'd done as a man. He looked the way I felt.

Stunned but happy.

Rhea had gotten the same call that Royan had so we began the walk to the place that had become home to all of us. Odd that the Forbidden Forest had welcomed so many of us, strays that needed a good home and found one within its dark depths. We talked of little things like Royan's cravings, Siri's battle with the school librarian to get more muggle books on the shelves and my lesson plans for the coming school year.

We were so comfortable with each other that even silence felt good. I had my arm around Royan's waist and Siri had his around Rhea while I sighed in contentment. If only we didn't have a threat hanging over us, I thought with a little frisson of warning that I got some times when things were about to go bad.

The cottage came into view or rather what had been a cottage and was now a growing house. I could just see the top of Ss-seren's head through the greenhouse glass and I smiled at the thought of the beautiful dragon and her handlers. Draco was relaxing more and more with his training and the friendships that were growing between the members of the Order.

Walking through the front door brought us face to face with three giantesses. Once we all got sorted out and introduced to them, I almost had my spine snapped by Granny's hug. Arwen took one look at Royan and broke out into laughter.

"Dear cousin, you're such an over-achiever." She chuckled and gently laid her hand a few inches above Royan's stomach. "Congratulations, you're carrying triplets."

Triplets? I wanted to faint but Sirius was holding me up. Mum was exclaiming excitedly and the rest of the family was cheering. Royan was looking a little stunned herself and I could feel the wolf inside of me howling with delight. A litter of Lupins, that almost sounded like a song that Gersey might write.

Somehow I found myself in the big green leather chair with Royan in my lap and the rest of the Hagrids talking about whatever they'd been talking about before we arrived. Her head rested on my shoulder and I had one of her hands in mine while my thoughts began to slow. "Royan, is it all right that they're . . . triplets?"

When she raised her head, she was crying slowly and I almost panicked before I saw her smile. Our eyes met and said all those things that we'd later say out loud. But for now, we accepted our fate and quietly rejoiced. When I finally began listening to the conversation, my heart almost seized. An attack on Hogwarts would put Royan and the babies in danger.

My wolf-self began to growl and I tightened my hold on her. Catching Rubeus' eyes, I saw my fears mirrored in his eyes. When we broke up into groups, I found us paired with Harry, Gersey, Aunt Illona and Dad. Aunt Illona and Dad were talking about the mirror that would reflect back the attack. I understood some of what they were talking about but I was still getting used to Dad's knowledge of magic theory.

It was immense and made me feel like a first year student trying to keep up with the teacher. But when he finished and Aunt Illona added her bit, I still wasn't quite sure that I understood. Harry was scratching his head and looking puzzled so I let him ask the questions. Royan knew what I was doing but she just smiled and kept my secret.

"Dad, how about I give it a try?" Gersey said with an affectionate smile at his father.

"Too much again?" Dad said with a sigh and combed his hand through his silky black hair. He grinned suddenly and I saw again how much alike he and Royan looked. "It's your fault for being such a good audience."

Gersey chuckled. "Harry, you like music. Why?"

The teen looked at him and tilted his head to one side. "Aside from the fact that I love your voice and listening to you play?" Gersey ruffled his hair and they exchanged the same kind of look that Royan and I did. "It makes me feel happy . . . and loved."

"Remus?" Those blue eyes came to mine and I thought about it.

"A good tune can make you laugh or cry. The songs you remember have words that stick with you. A really good song makes you want to sing along." I thought about what I liked best about Gersey's songs. "Even when I didn't know that a wizard was writing some of your songs, I responded to the rhythm and the harmonies that layer each of them."

"Harmonics is the key, Remus." Aunt Illona said briskly. "That's a good description of Gersey's talent. The layering you mentioned is mainly a series of dual harmonics. That is why we're paired as we are. Remus, you and Royan are perfectly matched - harmonically speaking as well as personally. Gersey and Harry are, too. And for many years, Petronicus and I have worked on matching our magic so we can work together."

Harry lit up with his biggest smile and leaned into Gersey's side. "So we're going to make the mirror with harmonics, three on each side?"

"Exactly, my boy," Dad beamed at him. "Remus and Royan are suited for the base of the mirror while Illona and I will take the middle and you and Gersey the top. Gersey, what would be the best instrument to use to keep us in sync?"

"I'm thinking drums, Dad. They'd be easy to keep the beat going." Gersey reached behind him and pulled forward a small drum, tapping gently on the stretched hide.

A shiver went up my spine at the same time that Harry shook himself. The simple tapping was slightly hollow and I felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up. The tap became more solid and began to speed up, combining the heel of his hand and his fingers. Royan put out her hands to the middle of our circle, palms facing me just above the floor. I copied her motion, feeling a tingle in my palms.

Dad and Aunt Illona mirrored that about a hands width above ours and in the space between us, something began to take shape. Harry cast a quick look at Gersey and put his hands above theirs while Ger stopped drumming and matched him. But the drumming was still in my head and I mentally visualized a mirror growing from the tingling in our hands.

And within a few moments, it was there . . . perfect and silvery. I smiled at Royan's giggle and Harry's muted 'brill' but it was Dad's almost silent 'yes' that made me smile. He was a perfectionist whose opinion I was beginning to seek. Aunt Illona nodded sharply and lowered her hands. But the mirror stayed intact while Royan pulled hers away next.

Gersey nodded to Harry and the teen slowly pulled his away, leaving the three of us sustaining the shimmering mirror between us. We held it for a long moment then Dad spoke. "Good, we'll try it outside next then practice growing it bigger until it is capable of catching anything the enemy throws at us."

Aunt Illona smiled. "Then we'll let the others try to bring it down. Royan and Harry will both need to get it started before moving to a safe distance."

"No," Harry exclaimed. "I want to help."

Gersey sighed. "I know you do, Har' but if they see you then they might concentrate on you and notice the mirror."

The teen frowned but nodded slowly. Royan was looking a bit rebellious, too but Aunt Illona shook her head. "Child, you're carrying babies and your hormones are all over the map. Neither of those conditions is conducive to holding steady for long moments. The mirror is going to have to be in place long before they come so no stray energy betrays us to the enemy. I expect we'll have to sit there for about three hours."

Harry's eyes were wide and I could see him think about that. "Wow, that's a long time to hold a spell. Why don't you run out of energy when you're using it for hours?"

Dad smiled at him. "That's where age and experience win out over youthful energy, Harry. You're learning quickly but some of that knowledge needs to settle inside of you while you practice control and patience. Not unlike what Mum and I hope you're practicing with . . . other parts of your life."

Harry and Gersey both blushed at that gentle reminder that they were supposed to be going slow in their relationship. I was pretty sure that Sirius didn't know how they'd celebrated Harry's birthday after we'd left. Gersey had told me right before he'd left for London so I could give Harry my understanding and a shoulder to cry on if he needed it. I have to admit that I'd wondered if they'd gone too far but Harry's demeanor had quieted any questions I might have had.

He'd buckled down and studied hard. He was growing up so fast under constant scrutiny and expectations that I regretted the loss of his innocence. But I soon realized that his loving Gersey was the first thing that was his alone. It was just for him, Gersey's love. The musician loved Harry, not the Boy-Who-Lived or the student or the orphan or Hope-of-the-Wizarding-World. He just loved the teenager with the messy hair, enthusiastic smile and joyful spirit.

As much as I wanted to protect him from going too far, too fast with this love, it might well prove to be the one thing that kept him alive in the coming confrontation. I know that having Royan and the babies were keeping my nose to the grindstone so I could keep them safe. I wanted Voldemort dead and dispersed to the elements so he could no longer return or even manifest one . . . tiny . . . little . . . effect.

I wanted a future with her and our children. I wanted Harry to be able to finish growing up without fear. From one or two things he'd asked my wife, I had the funny feeling that he was planning to give Gersey babies. He helped Severus whenever he could and I'd seen him lay a hand on the latest kick spot, smiling big enough to burst. Sirius was going to have a royal fit. But I was betting on Harry and Gersey.