Story Notes:


Notes: Thanks to littleroo27 for the nudge, to Queen Morgan for the beta work and the nice words of faith. And to harryslash for hosting this.

 

  
Author's Chapter Notes:

While the first line is the quote I chose, the rest of the story is not Canon compliant. So it’s AU. Sorry but I stopped liking the books after Book Four. And yes, I know JKR has put out a family tree chart. Yup, I’m ignoring that too. The title came about from a song.

Disclaimer: Harry Potter is the property of J.K. Rowling; her publishers and merchandisers. No maliciousness intended toward any of the talented actors & actresses that bring the world of Harry Potter to life.

 

 



Harry seized Ron's wrist as he raised his wand. “Ron! Put it down!”

Ron didn’t lower his wand arm, but he did spare a look to his best friend. “Are you bloody insane? I’ve got Malfoy right where I want him!”

That much was obvious, Harry thought. Malfoy was pinned in a corner of the school corridor looking both frightened and stoic. Harry realized the younger Malfoy was trying to emulate him and found it oddly endearing. Shaking his head of the odd thought, he grabbed Ron’s wrist a bit harder. “Ron, the war is over and they didn’t fight against us.”

“No, but you could have been bloody killed in that fire. And it would have been all the fault of this git here,” Ron was seething.

“What’s going on?” Ginny looked at Malfoy with disdain and smugness. “Oh, finally caught the ferret, can I hex him next?”

“NO!” Harry hissed angrily. “Malfoy hasn’t done anything to deserve this!”

“Just years of bloody torment. Have you gone spare?” Ron’s arm was shaking trying to break Harry’s grip. Just as he managed to do so, Harry put his body between Ron and Malfoy.

“What are you doing?” Malfoy hissed from behind.

“Get out of the way Harry!” Ron yelled. “Let me at him.” He pressed up against Harry who was forced to take a step back into Malfoy’s personal space. Ginny was trying to drag Harry away, but he planted his feet firmly on the ground.

“Look, you may not like Malfoy, but that doesn’t mean that it’s right to hex him when he hasn’t done anything Ron!” Harry pleaded, trying with all his might to shove Ron’s wand out of his line of sight. “What happened to being Gryffindors?”

Harry almost reeled further back into Draco at Ginny’s next words. “My family has been Gryffindors for ages. I’m not the one who almost wound up in Slytherin,” Ron shot back then gasped realizing his sister had just revealed a major secret. “I – Harry, she didn’t mean it.”

“Anything else you’d like to share with the world Ginny? I thought I could trust you. Hell, I thought I could bloody well trust both of you!” Harry was startled for a moment when Malfoy reached from behind him and put a steadying hand on his back. Until that point Harry didn’t even realize he’d been shaking.

Ginny spluttered before stomping her foot on the ground in anger. “Fine, I don’t know why I put up with you anyway. Maybe you aren’t meant for girls Harry. Did you ever think of that? Maybe you’re defending Malfoy because you like him!”

“Harry?” Ron growled. “Is that true?”

Gulping, Harry wondered belatedly if he should have shared his secret with Ron instead of Ginny. Maybe things would be different now. Why was he defending Malfoy? Did he like him? Didn’t he find him oddly endearing a few minutes ago? His mind pushed the thought away once more, trying to ignore the comforting heat on his back and reached inside him for a barb. “If I do switch to blokes it will be thanks to a harpy like you!”

That was a breaking point for Ron. His fist shot out connecting soundly with Harry’s nose and breaking it soundly. He reeled back into Malfoy who caught him and steadied him. Harry wiped the back of his hand over his mouth, a moment later he spit out blood. But it was nothing compared to the seething anger being directed now into a low, frightening whisper. “You better get out of my sight.”

For the first time, Malfoy spoke. “Need I remind anyone who killed the Dark Lord? I think he means it.”

Harry’s hair began to flutter in a light magical breeze as his wild magic began to take over. No sooner had Malfoy uttered those words than everyone surrounding them was pushed back. Malfoy held on tightly to his back and Harry welcomed his warmth. Like a drowning man seeking land, he sought out that warmth and without realizing it, curled into the deeply, comforting feeling.

Malfoy’s face was a mixture of pleased confusion and trepidation. Clearing his throat softly he commented. “I think we’re making more of a scene with you cuddling me Potter then we were with fighting the Weasleys.”

Harry blinked and sprang away, embarrassed out of his mind. He tried to think of anything to say but was at a loss. The eyes of the crowd that had gathered had burned into his skin and whispers broke out.

Inhaling deeply and looking resigned, Malfoy jammed his hands into his robe pockets. “He’s got my wand.”

“I’ll get Professor McGonagall to get it back,” Harry said shakily. Malfoy snorted. “I’m sorry about that.” He waved his wand toward the corner they’d just been cuddling in. Harry felt a blush rise to his cheeks.

“Yes, I’m sorry too,” Malfoy commented with a smirk. Brushing by Harry to vanish into the crowd he whispered into his ear. “Sorry we couldn’t continue that without an audience.”

Harry’s mouth dropped open in shock and he spun around to ask Malfoy about what he’d just said but he was already gone.


Pansy continued to stroke the fur of the cat she’d found sleeping in the empty common room. She looked with concern at her friend. He was looking definitely off-balance and it wasn’t just the ungodly hour. “Draco, will you just tell me what’s wrong?”

“Just let it go would you Pans’? Draco huffed into his knees, which were pulled up under his chin as he sat on the leather sofa.

“Fine, if you want to play it that way, I’ll guess. Obviously, it has to do with Potter –“

“How did you know that?” Malfoy looked up in surprise at his friends’ intuition.

“Because you only get this upset over two things, family and Potter. Your parents are fine, so it must be Potter.” She smiled smugly over at her friend, “ And you just confirmed it. Wow, this must be serious Draco. Even a first year would have seen that coming.” Pursing her lips she continued. “So if you’re this upset, either you’re embarrassed or whatever happened, it made you realize something.”

“Shit Pans’ when did I become so transparent?” Draco whined.

“And as your number one hag, I’ll say you finally made a move on Potter. Or at least said something that would point him in that direction, probably because he went and did something all noble for you. Now, you regret having said anything and are currently freaking out. How am I doing?”

“I really, really hate you right now.” Draco hid his face back into his knees with a groan.

“Pfft.” She waved a hand about and laughed. “If Potter didn’t kill you for it on the spot and hasn’t hunted you down, he’s either ignoring it or trying to come to grips with feeling it too.”

Draco looked up blinking against the sudden light and Pansy’s amazing insight. She sighed seeing the hope in his eyes. “You really want him anyway? Even after all that bad water behind you?”

Draco groaned covering his head with his arms. “She giveth hope and then taketh it away.”

She rolled her eyes. “Right, so what happened?”

Draco told her briefly about it and tried to leave out how Potter let him hold him and how Potter cuddled into his arms. But Pansy didn’t miss a trick and eventually coaxed that out of him too. By this time Draco was trying to hide his face blushing by talking into a pillow, he’d wedged between his knees and face. “I can’t believe this.” He moaned. “Why him? Why now?”

“You’re lucky it is now. Although by the sounds of it Weasley One and Two are jealous and angry. But at least the war is over. And since we’ve got this last bit of school left, it’s probably your best chance. Personally, I think you like him just because you want the chance to fix his hair.”

Draco threw his pillow at her, grateful for his friend.


The next morning at breakfast was quite strained. Slytherins having heard what happened through the grapevine were sure their leader was doing his best to foster relations and had planned the whole thing. Malfoy was quite willing to allow that belief to spread. Meanwhile, the Gryffindors had once more shunned Harry. Ron and Ginny had rallied most everyone from their house against Harry, saying that he was just seeking attention now that the war was over and was so desperate for it that he’d even defend Malfoy.

Ginny was all over Dean, making it quite clear to Harry that they were through. Not that Harry minded. Actually, with the exception of a few of the Gryffindors, namely Hermione, Seamus and Neville, Harry found it was a relief. Even though the Weasleys had been a surrogate family to him, Harry was tired of the amount of times they’d turned on him. Spotting Malfoy, he gave a private smile and saw that it was returned. Harry used a bit of magic to send Malfoy his wand back to him. Malfoy’s face lit up and he mouthed “thank you”, from across the room.

“Are you flirting with Malfoy?” Ron asked loudly. “How desperate are you? Don’t you know he’s still the enemy?”

“The war is over,” Hermione reminded sternly him from his elbow, where she sat with arms crossed over her chest.

“But Hermione! This is Malfoy and…and HARRY we’re talking about here!” Ron shouted with disbelief and disgust. “And we hate Malfoy!”

Hermione scratched her forehead not sure what to say next, when Harry got up and left. She watched him go and saw how Ron gloated afterwards. All she could do was hope that her friends would settle this soon. But she had a bad feeling. How would Ron ever stop hating Malfoy long enough for Harry to find some happiness?


Harry sat out on the front steps to the school. He wasn’t eager to get to his next class and besides he needed to breathe in some fresh air in order to calm down. The last thing he wanted was company.

“Potter.”

Shielding his eyes from the sunlight, Harry looked up at Malfoy. That’s when he knew he was in big trouble. The sun was making Malfoy’s hair look like a golden silky halo. He’s beautiful like this. Hoping that Malfoy hadn’t seen that on his face, Harry gestured toward the stoop. “Take a seat.”

After giving the spot a cursory brush clean with his magic, Malfoy sat down. He then looked at his wand happily. “It’s good to have this back.”

“You’re welcome,” Harry grinned, realizing the thanks for what it was.

“Why did you stop Weasley from hexing me?” Malfoy blurted out suddenly.

Harry blinked at the change of subject. “Um, because you hadn’t done anything to deserve it.”

“Potter, we’ve been enemies for years –“

“It doesn’t feel like it now.” Harry sighed looking out over the grounds. So much had changed in such a short time.

Draco put his hands to his head then waved his arms toward the school. “You’re mental Potter. We’re going to graduate soon and you’ve just lost your girlfriend and best friend and…and most of your house! Why would you do that for me?”

Harry looked down at his hands then across the gently rolling lawns of Hogwarts once more. “I don’t know. Maybe this is a new start for both of us?” He stuck out his right hand with a grin. “Hi, my name is Harry. It’s nice to meet you at long last.”

Malfoy shook his head with one hand covering his eyes. “Mental.”

Undaunted, Harry grabbed Malfoy’s hand to shake it. “And you are?”

“Draco, named after the constellation,” he added finally shaking the hand in wry amusement and a bit of happiness seemed to wash over him as he did.

“Really? That’s cool. I wish my parents had given me a name like that. But no, just plain Harry.” A smile lit up his face as he shook back.

“You’re probably named after a relative. Say, I’m about to head to class,” Draco commented playfully, “going my way?”

“Oh you go here too?” Harry asked with a laugh, ducking the swipe Draco took at his head. Together, side-by-side they re-entered the building. They walked down the corridor together and entered Charms together.

Ron hissed angrily at him when Harry tried to take his usual seat. “This seat is reserved for Gryffindors only, not two-faced wannabe Slytherins.”

Harry flinched at the angry tone and words. Summoning his courage he shot back. “Grow up Ron.”

Hoisting his bag back up onto his shoulder he searched the room for an open seat. There were two in the far back. He fought the desire to hang his head like a whipped dog as he made his way back to it. Along the way, he was tripped twice and verbally abused by his own housemates. Amazingly enough, the Slytherins in the class remained quiet. Harry finally swung his bag down and claimed his seat. As he dug out his parchment and quill, he heard someone sit next to him. Sitting back up he was surprised to see it was Draco. “Slumming it?”

“No, thought I’d get away from the teacher’s horrific breath.” Draco smirked.

A smile lit up Harry’s face. “Thanks,” he whispered just loud enough for Draco to hear. The blond gave a nod and turned his attention to the class, which was just beginning to start.

They sat together in every class they shared. During the day, it was the classes they were not together in that were exceptionally bad for Harry. Nasty glares and mutterings came from his housemates and Harry tried to be thick-skinned about it. After all, they’d turned on him before. With sadness, Harry realized this one might end the friendship he’d shared with Ron for so many years. If saving all their lives from the Dark Lord hadn’t won him their bloody loyalty, he had nothing else to give them. After all, he’d already sacrificed his life and he wasn’t going to do that anymore. It was his turn to live without the responsibility of the entire wizarding world on his shoulders.

And it was that thought that firmed his resolve to really try to get along with Malfoy. At least he’d have one friend when this was all said and done.


Lunch wasn’t going much better than breakfast had in Harry’s estimation. The Gryffindors were convinced he was mad or under some spell that was causing him to be nice to Malfoy. He wasn’t sure how to convince everyone that the war was over. Hadn’t Dumbledore always wanted the houses to get along better? After blocking the third hex that came his way as he tried to eat, he stood up angrily. Everyone stared at him as he stood wondering what he’d do next. Ron laughed commenting loudly that he was going to ‘run outside and cry like the great ponce he was’.

Giving up and tired of dealing with the bullshit from Ron, Harry got up, crossed the room, sitting down at last at the end of the Slytherin table. If the Great Hall had been quiet before it was like a tomb now. Even the teachers at the high table wondered if they should interfere. Two Slytherins rose as one from the table and everyone held their breath. Draco and Pansy didn’t even look at the others as they stood, walked to the end of the table and sat on either side of Harry, buffering him.

Gasps filled the air and the whispering began to start.

Harry looked nervously up at the Headmistress and sighed with relief when she shook her head with a tight smile before tucking into her meal. At least there wasn’t going to be any ramifications from that point. ‘If only it would be so easy from my own house,’ Harry thought with a wistful sigh.

Pansy elbowed Harry sharply causing him to jump and shift closer to Draco. The blond wrapped an arm around Harry to steady him and found himself looking into confused green eyes. Harry pulled away slowly, “Um, thanks.”

Chuckling Draco responded, “No problem.”

“You’re welcome,” Pansy giggled before tucking into her dinner.

During the meal Harry felt keenly aware of Pansy pushing her into Draco’s side. To his surprise and pleasure, Draco didn’t seem to mind it one bit. Heat ran along his side where they touched and more than once he found himself wishing they were alone. But of course, that wasn’t meant to be. Halfway through the meal, Ron stormed over toward their table.

Harry had been oblivious. He was lost in, what he was now calling in his own mind, ‘Dracoville’. It wasn’t until he felt Draco’s fingers squeeze his hand tightly and he looked up did he see the trouble that was coming. Grateful for Draco’s still-present touch, Harry braced himself for the explosion.

“Harry, enough is enough, get back to the Gryffindor table.” Ron snapped angrily.

“No.” Harry noticed that once again the Hall had gone deathly still. But unknown to anyone else, Draco took that moment to weave his fingers into Harry’s. He smirked and Harry smirked back.

Ron exploded at this, thinking it was aimed at him. “Think this is funny do you? I should have known you’d show your true colors eventually. You want your precious Slytherin friend?” He spat this in Draco’s direction and Harry squeezed Draco’s hand supportively. “You’d pick him over me? I’m your best friend!”

“I’m not picking anyone over anyone Ron. I just don’t believe in keeping this hostility going. The war is over.”

“Not when it comes to him,” Ron pointed at Draco with a shaking hand.

“Draco didn’t do anything to you to warrant what you did!” Harry shot back.

Ron’s face turned red. “Draco? You’re such close mates now, POTTER?” He leaned over the table and hissed angrily. “Does he do for you what my sister wouldn’t?”

Before Harry or Draco could retaliate for the slur, Pansy had her wand pointed at Ron’s genitals under the table. Ron paled as he realized the dangerousness of the situation. “You’re not helping your case Weasley. I know how dense you are, so I’ll speak slowly. Your little sister has just been embarrassed and humiliated by you. And if you want Potter to come back to your table, yelling at him won’t do the trick.”

“She’s right Ron,” Hermione appeared at Ron’s elbow. Ron glared angrily at her and stormed off. It was the first time in Hogwarts history that he’d walked away from a plate of food. Hermione shrugged her shoulders at the Slytherins before turning with a sigh and heading back to Gryffindor territory.

Harry was still staring over the Gryffindor table with concern when Draco broke his reverie, “Are you going to eat that?” He was pointing toward Harry’s cauliflower. Harry’s lip curled. “You can have it. I can’t stand the stuff.”

Draco shook his head, “Why did you put it on your plate then?”

“I don’t think I was paying much attention,” Harry admitted. “Hey,” he pointed with his own fork to Draco’s plate, “you going to finish that?”

“No, I’ve eaten too much of it this week. My eyes were bigger than my stomach.”

Harry grinned and stole the mashed potatoes from Draco’s plate. Draco was riveted by the simple joy on Harry’s face from their simple food exchange. He caught Pansy’s eye and she winked at him. They carried on eating this way, stealing bits of food off each other’s plate. After they ate they left together heading for the Double Potions class of the afternoon.

For the first time, Harry and Draco partnered voluntarily in Potions. This left the Professor blinking in confusion, but the two didn’t even take notice. It wasn’t until Ron, in a fit of pique over the two of them, threw an extra ingredient into Harry and Draco’s cauldron that things got ugly. Luckily, the ruined potion had caused little to no damage. However, a fistfight broke out that Slytherin was winning quite handily when Minerva’s voice rang over the class stilling it.

“Potter, Malfoy and Weasley will follow me.”

She stood still and fierce looking in the doorway, before turning on her heel to go. They didn’t waste any time and hurried after her. Harry and Draco walked together while Ron caught up to McGonagall and looked back at them smugly. It didn’t last long. When they reached the office, formerly occupied by Albus, Minerva sat down primly and motioned to them to take a seat.

She glared at them fiercely before starting. “I had entertained high hopes that since there was no bloodshed at lunch things had been settled between the three of you. Obviously, I was mistaken. Would you care to explain Mr. Potter?”

Ron fumed and crossed his arms over his chest, obviously angry that Harry got to tell his story first. Taking a deep breath, Harry started. “Ron is mad at me because I won’t let him hex Draco.” Minerva’s eyebrows shot up at the use of Malfoy’s first name. Harry rolled his eyes and continued. “But Draco hadn’t done anything and the war is done. Now he’s turned almost the whole house against me for it. But I guess I should have seen it coming since he’s betrayed me before.” Harry glared at Ron, tired of playing nice.

Minerva blinked several times before turning to Malfoy. “Mr. Malfoy if you’d please tell your side of things now?”

“Yes, ma’am. It was pretty much as Harry said. He saved me from getting hexed and, “Malfoy looked away as if bored, “we became friends.”

Minerva slumped into her chair. “Mr. Weasley?”

Ron huffed. “Potter just wants Malfoy so they can bloody well play house together. He’s still the enemy! He’s gone mental or something!” Ron pointed at Harry while looking desperately at the Headmistress. “He’s turned against the whole house by hanging with that Junior Death Eater!”

“MR. WEASLEY!” Minerva scolded. “That is quite enough. The war is over and Mr. Malfoy joined with us if you recall.”

“Only because Harry saved his skin!” Ron yelled. Harry looked nervously at Draco who shook his head and gave a wink. Minerva saw it and gripped the side of her chair realizing at once that the friendship between Harry and Draco was far more than she initially thought.

“Mr. Weasley, you will call off Gryffindor House and stop looking for fights. The war is over and it’s thanks to Harry here. I do believe you should be showing him a bit of respect. “ She pursed her lips, fingering her wand and Ron gulped. “You will apologize at once.”

Ron looked ill but turned toward Harry and Draco. “Sorry.”

“Humphf that will have to do I suppose.” Minerva commented unhappily. “Is it too much to ask for you to act loyally like all Gryffindors should?”

“He- I- but he’s the one that almost got sorted into Slytherin!” Ron pointed at Harry angrily.

“Harry?” She asked with concern etched across her features. “Is this true?” Harry nodded staring down at the floor.

Draco nudged his chin up until they were looking into each other’s eyes. “Don’t be ashamed of who you really are.”

“Ahem,” Minerva reminded them of where they were and they jumped apart.

Ron looked angrier than ever. “I tell you he’s been hexed or something Professor!”

“You may go now Mr. Weasley and don’t forget to talk to Gryffindor.” Ron was still fuming but left the room in a full sulk.

She turned her attention to the two Seekers. “Gentlemen, if you are contemplating starting a relationship in these still uncertain times where everyone is still nervously jumping at shadows, or in Mr. Weasley’s case conclusions, I’m afraid you’re in for a bumpy ride. Have you both considered the ramifications of what you’re considering?”

Harry and Draco turned to each other with a smile. “Yeah,” they both agreed at once and Harry smiled even more, as Draco’s expression became a bit smug.

“Well, be careful the both of you,” she pointed the door to them with this last bit of advice and they were finally free to go.

“She’s right you know,” Harry admitted once they were off the spiral staircase and back in the corridor.

“So what? We’ve both made it through more than this apart –“ Draco defended before Harry finished the sentence for him.

“- so we’ll be even stronger together?” Harry grinned.

“Yeah, so, what do you say Harry, want to go out with a notorious, infamous Slytherin of questionable morals?” Draco smirked closing the gap between them and wrapping his hands around Harry’s hips.

Harry stepped into the embrace wrapping one hand around Draco’s neck and the other weaving into his soft hair. “I thought you’d never ask.” He leaned in halfway and Draco met his lips with soft, pliable ones of his own. Harry felt Draco wrap tightly around him and Harry relaxed into the kiss. Tongues met and danced heatedly over each other as they learned each other’s taste and feel.

Eventually they pulled apart and with a smile, did it again.





The End