Story Notes:
Test reader: Nefernat
Author's Chapter Notes:

Authors Note: Some details from HBP I've kept. Others I chose to ignore. So I suppose one could say Spoilers for Book 7, sort of. If you wanted.



Disclaimer: JKR is the creator, owner and holder of all things Harry Potter. She has also granted this right to a movie company, publisher and merchandiser. No maliciousness was intended.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry looked around the campus with a melancholy feeling rolling through his gut. He should have gone inside long ago but he’d stopped for just a minute at a rather picturesque view of the Quidditch pitch and had been here ever since. The wind picked up, chasing the ghosts out of his mind. He could hear the wind whipping but ignored it, looking at how the stars lit up the sky. He imagined he could smell the leather of the uniforms in the air. Inhaling deeply he admitted defeat and fetched his broom. Lifting into the air, he knew he’d done the right thing. The wind whistled around him, making his eyes tear even as the smile grew on his face. Shooting straight up he tried to reach the stars, warmed by the idea despite the lonesome chill in the air. Levelling out he looked around at the panoramic view of the lake, the school grounds, the Whomping Willow and Forbidden Forest. Each held special memories, but none so much as the pitch itself.

He knew damn well he had to make up his mind. That was part of the reason he was out here. Hermione and Ron were on his very last nerve with his constant barrage of questions regarding his future.

Are you going to further your education? Will you be a professional Quidditch player? Will you be an Auror? Are you going to marry Ginny?

Really, they didn’t have a clue! Yes, Voldemort was dead. Yes, Ginny was waiting for him to pop the question. Yes, it was the spring of their Seventh Year and he didn’t know what he wanted to do. Honestly! He was feeling about the same pressure to marry Ginny as he had to kill Voldemort, and it appealed to him just as much. She was nice, but it just wasn’t …special.

On top of that, the new “Wizarding Culture Studies” class was making him wonder more and more if he really belonged to the Wizarding World. It was right after he’d killed Voldemort that Harry had gone home, told his Aunt all he’d done and she’d taken him to church. After a very nice, long talk with the local Vicar he had finally felt better. He’d even taken to reading the Bible, letting the comfort he felt go through him. To say that he was shocked to hear the Wizarding World had his own religion and only one, would be an understatement of incredible magnitude.

Love seemed to be the base of their world. Family was everything. Children really were blessings and even homosexual relationships were accepted. Part of him wanted to jump into the new religion in order to belong. But another part was terrified. Weren’t all these people going to hell? But that didn’t seem possible either. Confusion filled him on too many levels. How could he stay in this world when he didn't subscribe to their beliefs?

Even flying wasn’t helping.

With regret, he touched down and, before he could get his bearings, he noticed he wasn’t alone. Before he could even think it his wand was out and pointing into the darkness. A hooded figure stepped out from the inky night and Harry inwardly gasped. “Malfoy?”

No one had seen the Slytherin since the end of the war. The entire Malfoy family had become recluses. Word in the school said they were too concerned about public backlash from switching sides at the eleventh hour. Harry took in Draco’s form. He’d gotten taller, thinner and his hair was longer, making him looking a bit feminine since his shoulders weren’t as broad as his father’s. This was probably why he had it tied back with just one lone strand escaping, framing his angular face.

Sweeping his cloak around him, Malfoy sat down on the grass, tucking it carefully underneath him. This casual air was unexpected but Harry felt it was a good start, definitely less threatening to be sitting down. “I know that look, Potter. The Weasel and Granger are making you crazy again. Why are you friends with them anyway?”

Harry shook his head, pulling up a piece of lawn for himself. “Now I know the world has gone wonky when you can read me so well. Why are you here Malfoy?”

“Actually, I was re-enrolled today. You missed the reactions at dinner.” Malfoy smirked. “The tutors were boring me to death.”

“Hmm,” Harry tried to imagine it, but couldn’t. His eyes turned away to stare up at the stars. At one point he never would have turned his back on Draco, but those days had long since past. The complete casual candor of his once-school-rival was a bit shocking, but then again the last time he’d seen Malfoy he’d saved his life. “Do you owe me a life debt?” The question shot out of his mouth before he even thought that it might be a bit direct to ask about it like that.

“Yes,” Malfoy said simply looking at his fingernails casually. “Any ideas on how you want to be repaid?”

Harry looked at Malfoy, trying to judge him. Cold, tired eyes stared back into his. There was a ring of pain to them and something else Harry hadn’t seen before. With a jolt, he realized that Malfoy didn’t have his usual indifferent mask on tonight. “No, not really.” Harry shrugged, deciding it would be too much to ask for the blond’s friendship.

It would be nice to talk to someone besides –

“Well, I suppose since the duo are driving you to fly in that biting wind I could start by being your sounding board.”

“Why on earth would you care Malfoy?” Harry snapped reflexively. Stubbornly he refused to take back what he asked. But Malfoy didn’t seem upset by it.

This time it was Malfoy that shrugged. “It will make for an impartial voice.”

Harry sat for a long time and Malfoy seemed inclined to let him think. “I don’t know if I’m staying,” Harry admitted in a small voice at long last.

Malfoy realized quickly what Harry was on about. Harry had forgotten how sharp Malfoy was. “You shouldn’t have a choice in the matter, Potter. Face it, you know too much about this world.”

Laughing bitterly Harry questioned,” Do I?”

A frown pulled at Malfoy’s mouth. “Well, you could probably use some lessons in etiquette.”

Shaking his head, Harry laid down on the chilly ground to stare at the stars, grateful that the wind seemed to be dying down. “I don’t believe in what you believe.”

“Obviously we aren’t talking about the war, although someone should explain to you that if we don’t save the Wizarding World it will be swallowed by yours –“

“Actually we have a Wizarding Culture class now that all Muggle-born or raised have to take,” Harry groused.

“Really?” Malfoy seemed impressed. “Hmm. Well it does seem rather obvious that it’s something in the class…beliefs…oh! Are you talking religion?”

“Yeah.”

“Oh." Malfoy paused before continuing. "Does it really matter? Isn’t the important thing that you believe in something?” Harry rolled his head to see Malfoy was standing up and brushing off his cloak. “I’m going inside, Potter. Life debt doesn’t mean I have to catch a chill and die trying to work out your life for you.”

Harry smiled, somehow hearing Malfoy being snarky was one thing he could deal with, it was a bit easier to accept than this almost human one. Although Malfoy had been right, it had been nice to talk to someone besides Hermione and Ron. “Thanks, Malfoy.”

Draco gave a small nod of recognition and slipped into the darkness, leaving Harry to his thoughts. Realizing the chill from the ground was starting to seep into his bones as well; he stood, put away his broom and then headed inside the school. Making his way to the Gryffindor Tower, he stopped midway, clutching the banister. Did Malfoy just solve his problem? Could he really live anywhere?

hpdmhpdmhpdm

“Where were you last night, Draco? We wanted to throw you a party but you’d vanished,” Pansy whined at Draco.

“I needed to walk.” Draco dug into his breakfast, trying not to wince at the volume of the students. It was a Hogsmeade weekend coming up and everyone was talking about it.

“There you go Pansy, leave Draco be,” Blaise shoved playfully at his girlfriend’s arm from the other side. Draco felt his stomach roll. When had these two gotten together? Was Blaise blind? Glancing around the table, it seemed many of the Slytherins were paired off. Expanding his view to take in the Hall, he noticed this was the case at all the house tables. Narrowing in on Potter, he saw he looked about as happy as he himself felt. The Mudblood and Weasel were all over each other. Amusingly enough, the Weaselette was trying to paw Potter and he was shoving her off. Finally the young redhead yelled something at him and got up to run out of the room. The Weasel cast him an angry glance and ran after his sister. The Mudblood seemed to be giving Potter a speech.

Potter looked up and their eyes met. A smirk crossed his lips, causing Draco to raise one eyebrow in response. The raven-haired hero tilted his head toward the door and Draco gave the briefest of nods. Potter brushed off the Mudblood and headed out the doors of the Hall. Draco waited a minute then left after him. It was not unnoticed.

Both Hermione Granger and Blaise Zabini saw it wondering if it was just a coincidence.

hpdmhpdmhpdmhpdm

Malfoy quickly spotted the other seeker, leaning against a window sill. “Might I suggest a better hiding place?” Malfoy snapped.

Potter once again gave a dark, bitter laugh. “It’s pretty bad when you have to hide from your own girlfriend.”

“I think it’s one of the smartest things you’ve ever done. What do you see in her anyway?” Malfoy asked pointedly while slipping into a shadow of a doorway.

“Um,” Potter blinked. Evidently the combination compliment and direct question had thrown him for a loop.

Malfoy shook his head in disbelief. “Follow me.” Harry was surprised when Malfoy led him to the girl’s bathroom that Moaning Myrtle called her own. “I know the access to the Secret Chamber is in here. Why not use it?”

“You just want to see it,” Harry guessed. After all, what true Slytherin didn't have ulterior motives?

“Of course,” Malfoy replied.

Once again Harry was surprised at the Slytherin's sudden sincerity. Was there an ulterior motive in this as well? However, the more nagging question was what DID he see in Ginny? After Harry had stared at the Slytherin for a moment, still shocked at how well Malfoy knew him he finally approached the sinks and opened the Chamber.

Malfoy was instantly at his side, peering down into the gloom. "I think this calls for a levitation charm. Is that what you used?"

"No, we slid down." Harry was suddenly besieged by memories of his second year. He hadn't been back since then. Hopefully someone cleaned up the basilisk. It didn't seem to smell any worse.

"We?" Malfoy asked curiously.

"Ron and I," Harry answered simply. "When we went to rescue Ginny from the trap your father and Voldemort had set for her."

With a sniff of disdain Malfoy pointedly ignored the fact his father and Voldemort had ever conspired together. "So you're with the Weaselette because you feel obligated to protect her. I suppose that would make sense if you had an over developed sense of Gryffindor in you, which you do." Waving a wand at himself, Malfoy floated gracefully down the dark hole, his wand alit and held out before him cautiously.

Harry cursed himself for never thinking of doing that. Following suit he dropped softly next to Malfoy. Even in the dim light he could see the curiosity sparkling in Malfoys eyes. "Is this the only reason you're being nice to me Malfoy? To see the Chamber of Secrets?" Harry couldn't help teasing the Slytherin a bit although, he was frankly curious about why he was being so nice. Was this just the life debt? But Pettigrew never went out of his way to be nice. Something else was going on, definitely. But what?

Draco's silvery eyes grazed over him, leaving a trail of heated blood in his wake. Harry could feel himself blushing and was grateful for the dim light of their wands. "I have my reasons."

Harry decided to let it go because he was feeling a bit confused as to why Malfoy looking at him like...well like that had given him such a happy rush inside. Ginny didn't do that. Malfoy was still staring at him. "Well, are you going to show me the place? You really do need to learn some manners."

Feeling his blood cool down, he led the way through the chamber. He did his best to ignore the startled breathy gasps for air coming from behind him and what it was doing to his heart. For some reason it was now beating wildly in his chest. And was he mistaken or was Malfoy now staring at his ass?! Was Malfoy gay? Ron always thought so. But if that was the case then why was he looking at him? Weren't their enough pureblood gays to go around? Once again his mouth ran away from his control. "Are you gay, Malfoy?"

"Why? Are you interested?" Malfoy shot back without hesitation.

Harry admired the Slytherin's quick witted mind. If he was honest to himself he always had been but was he attracted to him? What about Ginny? "I have a girlfriend."

"But you don't even know why," Malfoy scoffed and pushed by him to stroke one of the stone snake heads with reverence. Harry walked numbly to where he'd found Ginny that second year of schooling.

I have to protect Ginny. Is marrying her the way to do that? She says she loves me, but does she really? Or is it Harry Potter, hero to the Wizarding world she loves?

Harry sighed unhappily looking at the spot where the Basilisk bite almost made him breathe his last. A soft shuffle alerted him to Malfoy’s presence at his side. "I didn't know." The blond quietly admitted. Harry didn't need to ask. Part of him had always suspected that Lucius Malfoy left his son in the dark on a number of missions for the Dark Lord.

"He loves you so he protects you, just as I do with Ginny," Harry felt relief course through him as he connected the two together using this example as a case for love. "That means I love Ginny, too."

Malfoy eyed him as if he were a bit dense. "Protection is not love Potter. Wow, those Muggles really did a number on you along with your so-called friends. Haven't you ever been in love?" There was a touch of what...sadness, regret or pity in his voice. Whatever it was, it got Harry's dander up.

"How the fuck do you know what love is? You can't tell me being raised by a Death Eater was a good role model?" He snapped. "Just because I've never felt that way about someone doesn't mean I don't know what it feels like."

"OH, hit a bit close to the mark there, didn't I Potter? Especially to have you drag out old material like that. Come now Potter, you can do better than that if you want to wound me. But you never were very skilled at verbal games. I shouldn't help you on this one, but if I don't I know it will bother me. So here goes."

Malfoy stepped into Harry's space. Harry backed up and up until he was teetering on the edge of the walkway, about to fall in the murky water. "Scared, Potter?" Malfoy laughed.

Harry took a step into Malfoy’s space, expecting the Slytherin to back up a space. Instead Malfoy held out his arms. Harry frowned in confusion. "What are you playing at?"

"I was under the impression that all you Gryffindor types were a touchy-feely sort." Malfoy put his arms down but they were still only a breath away from each other. "Are you gay, Potter?" he whispered. "It only takes one kiss."

"KISS!?" Harry shouted and took one too many steps away from the Slytherin. He wind milled his arms about before falling into the icy, cold water. "ACK!"

"WINGARDIUM LEVIOSA!" Malfoy pointed his wand at Harry and his magic carried him back to the solid stone walkway. With a soggy sounding plop he landed with a shiver. "Stubborn, stupid, ignorant, reckless, could have hit your head on the way down all because you're scared," Malfoy ranted while transfiguring his own cape into a blanket and wrapping it around Potter.

"Sh-shu-shut up," Harry managed between chattering teeth. "S'your faul-fault."

Malfoy looked up for strength and wrapped his own body around the blanket. He waited patiently for the Gryffindor to stop shaking with cold. At long last, Potter looked up at him through a wet fringe of hair. Malfoy found the combination of a vulnerable, dripping, pathetic looking Potter irresistible. "If I'd known I would have asked first."

Harry's mouth fell open.

"May I kiss you?" Malfoy asked him.

A million reasons flew through Harry's sodden brain as to why this was a bad idea. Surely there would be a million more at 2 am when he was warm, dry and unable to think of anything else. But his Gryffindor mouth ran away from him again. "Yes."

It was barely a whisper, but Malfoy had heard it. With what Harry considered to be agonizing slowness, since Malfoy seemed so eager a moment ago; the blond edged closer. His eyes were still open as their lips met. Silver eyes blazed into green. At the mere touch a shiver ran through Harry's body and he frantically told himself it was because he was soaking wet and cold.

But it was a lie and he knew it.

Harry also knew that if anything would make him stay in the Wizarding World, somehow, and someway it had become Malfoy. Draco sodding Malfoy who was currently kissing him. Harry gulped and tried to get his bearings, pushing away his companion slowly. "I'm not gay ," Harry whispered.

"I never said you were." Malfoy's face had softened. Harry realized he was still encased in the other boy's arms and had no intention of pulling away anytime soon.

"Good," Harry replied before cupping the back of Malfoy's neck and pulling him in for another kiss. They continued to kiss. Neither seemed willing to break the spell that had settled their differences and brought them together. It was the sound of flapping wings that brought them out of their interlude.

"Isn't that your owl?" Draco asked staring back toward the entrance.

"Yeah, I guess I forgot to close the entrance when we came down here," Harry realized. They were lucky it had only been Hestia and not someone on their broom!

Hestia circled a few times and Harry felt the familiar ache that it was not Hedwig. Hestia swooped down and held out her leg, taking off quickly. Harry wasn't surprised to open it and find a howler from Ron.

WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU HARRY? WHY HAVEN'T YOU APOLOGIZED TO MY SISTER!? SHE'S WORRIED ABOUT YOU! HOW DARE YOU JUST GO OFF AND NOT GO AFTER HER. THIS IS YOUR BLOODY JOB I'M DOING HERE! I REFUSE TO BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF SHE LEAVES YOU!

"Ouch," Malfoy commented as they both watched the howler shred itself to pieces.

Harry sighed. "What are we doing here, Malfoy?"

"I must be slipping if you don't know Potter." The blond stood, re-transfigured his cloak back and cast a warming and drying charm in Harry's direction. "Before you race back to your little woman, just remember you gave me permission. I gave you none such permission but you kissed me back."

Gulping, Harry nodded and combed his fingers through his hair in frustration. "I know. But you're you! And I'm me! This isn't right!" Harry argued desperately.

"I notice you failed to mention the Weaselette there," Malfoy quipped. "Is this because of the fights we had as children? Or because the Weasel and family won't understand? Are you ashamed of me or of yourself?"

Wearily Malfoy started to walk back while Harry found himself rooted to the spot. It was a long time until he made his way back into the castle proper.

hpdmhpdmhpdmhpdm

"I don't believe you." Ginny sat with her stiff and rigid back to Harry on the small sofa. The entire common room seemed to be listening in and Ron's glower was plainly visible. Hermione was casting him looks of disbelief.

Harry stared into his hands. It was fairly impossible to convince Ginny that he was sorry when he wasn't. Ginny had been pestering him about getting married again and Harry had balked at the pressure. Finally he admitted he wasn't sure what he wanted to do and Ginny flew into a tizzy at the Great Hall this morning. Harry's stomach gave a growl. Between the fight this morning and snogging Malfoy he hadn't had the time to eat.

At the thought of Malfoy's kisses his eyes shut. Fiery heat raced from his heart to his groin and back again. It was something that was never a part of his relationship with Ginny. "I'm going to bed." Harry declared suddenly tired of it all and raced upstairs eager to lay down and let those memorable kisses keep him warm. He ignored the gasps and murmurs of disbelief at Harry's behavior. While Ron ranted on his sisters behalf, Hermione's dark eyes narrowed in contemplation.

hpdmhpdmhpdmhpdm

Gasping for breath, Harry couldn't ignore what Malfoy was doing to him. After all with his release covering his chest it was a bit difficult to deny. So what did this make him? Was he gay? Queer? Or simply appreciative of a good kisser? Lazily he cleaned himself with a wave of his wand. Loud steps announced he was about to receive company.

Just in time, Harry thought. His mind was still whirling with the heated images that had resulted in his rather sated state.

"Harry, are you still awake?"

With relief Harry recognized the voice, "Yeah Neville."

"Can we talk?"

Harry heard Neville's trademark nervous shuffling of his feet. Not wanting to leave the pleasant haze he was in, he didn't bother to get up. "Shoot."

"Well, I was just wondering why you haven't asked Ginny to marry you."

"God, Neville, you too? I don't bloody know alright!?" Harry shouted in anger, sick and tired of the topic.

There was a long period of silence before the other Gryffindor braved another question. "Is it Malfoy?"

Harry froze. Had Neville seen something?

Denial! Deny everything!

"What does he have to do with this?" Harry asked, hoping his lie wasn't as obvious behind bed curtains.

"Well its just if you were interested in him, I was hoping that I could...that is if it was alright with you...date Ginny." Neville's voice was filled with despair.

Meanwhile, the opposite reaction filled Harry. For the first time since the whole marry-or-not marry Ginny had begun he felt a load being moved off his shoulders. He threw open the curtains. "Really?!"

Neville looked at the blatant excitement on Harry's face and felt hope himself. "Well, yeah."

"Yeah," Harry answered before biting his lip. Had he just decided to break up with Ginny? A look of panic crossed his face, unknown to him but clearly visible to Neville.

Neville instantly understood. "You're scared of what people will say, aren't you? Especially Ron and Hermione?"

Harry hung his head morosely. "I don't know if I can get out of it and I never even asked her. It wasn't even my idea!"

Frowning, Neville sat down on a corner of Harry's bed. "Whose idea was it then Harry? I mean, maybe Gram made me a bit old fashioned but I thought the guy always brought it up first."

"Ron and Hermione brought it up."

"So you feel obligated." Harry stared at Neville, wondering when he and Malfoy had started to agree on things. "Do they know you fancy Malfoy?"

"Err," Harry felt his face flame with embarrassment. "I'm not gay."

Neville laughed. "Sometimes Harry it really shows that you weren't raised in our world."

"Tell me about it ," Harry sighed.

"In our world, love doesn't have a label, it’s considered a powerful ally no matter what form it comes in. Maybe they'll surprise you after you and Ginny break up."

"Right," Harry replied sarcastically.

"Hmm, okay so they won't take it well. But if something has happened between you and Malfoy don't you owe it to her to be honest?" Neville asked pointedly.

"Honesty will get me a broken nose you mean," Harry shuddered thinking of Ron's huge fists and angry temper.

"You handled Voldemort, I think you can handle Ron." Neville cocked his head to one side. "So was Malfoy the first guy that ever kissed you?" Mouth gaping open and flapping like a fish, Harry answered Neville's question in more ways than one. "Well let's put it to the test."

Suddenly Harry had a face full of Neville. His lips weren't as soft as Malfoy’s, his scent was different and there was no long hair to play with or porcelin skin to caress. A panic gripped him and he pushed Neville off the bed.

Elsewhere in the castle, Draco Malfoy screamed in pain.

hpdmhpdmhpdmhpdm

Draco opened his eyes, despite the pounding pain in his head telling him not too. He shut them quickly as bright white light assaulted his senses, cursing internally for not listening to his gut instinct. Slowly, he pried one eye open to peer around. He was surprised to see that he was in the Infirmary.

What in Salazar's name had happened?

"Ah, Mr. Malfoy good you're awake. I'll notify the Headmistress." Madame Pomfrey announced while bustling about tucking him back into the bed.

"What happened?" He asked groggily.

"Mr. Zabini called me by Floo and said that you'd simply screamed like you'd been set on fire and passed out." She shook her head. "Honestly, I'm your Healer while you're at the school. The least you could have done was told me to expect this."

Draco's temper snapped . "What are you on about woman?"

She pursed her lips. "Don't you dare take that tone with me young man or I'll see to it you have only the foulest tasting headache potion known to man!"

Blinking in surprise at the sudden turn in his caretaker’s demeanor, he quickly backtracked. "Look I have a horrible headache and don't know what you are talking about. It may have made me ...irritable."

"Pfft," Poppy snapped. "I have a hard time believing your parents never told you."

"Told me what?" Draco grit out.

"That you're bonded." Poppy shrugged. "Evidently you were bonded at birth." Seeing the shell-shocked look on her charge's face, Poppy realized he'd been truthful. "Should I contact your parents? They should know to whom." Draco nodded numbly though every molecule in his body told him the answer.

Potter.

hpdmhpdmhpdm

Draco tried to hide his dismay that his parents hadn't shown up. Instead he received a letter from his mother.

My darling Draco,

We never told you because we never thought it would become an issue. The reason your father wanted you to befriend Potter was because you were bonded at birth. Others believed it would be best to have you as a spy in the other camp. By bonding you together, it would make it impossible for Potter to ever hurt you. Your father saw it as a good move strategically speaking in order to ensure at least one group of Malfoy's escaped the war without further tarnishing the family name. Unfortunately that was not to be.

The scream and subsequent pain you describe is explained by the bond. Although, frankly, your father and I never thought a physical relationship would happen between the two of you. Without anything happening between the two of you, there would have never have been a reason to tell you the truth. You would have lived your life and he his. Obviously, something has happened and Potter, through his own actions, has rejected the bond.

What your mother is trying to say is that if you so much as kissed the Potter boy and he kissed another within one day, you felt the rejection through the bond you had started to finish by kissing him in the first place!

Sorry about that dear, you know how your father can be. Please write back soon. It's been forever since you dropped either of us a line and you know how that hurts us...

Draco ignored the rest allowing the paper to flutter to the bed. He'd known he had a private agenda as far as Potter was concerned. Namely, getting into his pants. Never, had he envisioned this!

Why me?

hpdmhpdmhpdm

"What was that for?" Harry repeated once more, wiping his lips again. Each time he thought about Neville kissing him to see if he was attracted to other boys, he shivered. It was making sitting in class unbearable. The fact that he hadn't seen hide nor hair of Malfoy didn't help. Nor did Ron and Hermione's attitudes.

"Your evil!git shadow isn't here today," Ron said happily talking to Harry while sitting next to him at lunch.

"Ron-" Harry began but was soon drowned out by Hermione.

"I think we were all better off when he was being tutored at home," she stated matter-of-factly.

Harry caught Neville's eye, who was laughing under his breath and looking at Ginny – a lot. Oddly that didn't bother him. However, he'd been seen.

"I think you should tell Neville to back off," Ron growled. "Besides you and Gin are practically engaged."

"WE ARE NOT!" Harry roared and charged out of the Great Hall.

"What's with him?" Ron asked as he watched Harry leave.

"Maybe he's tired of obligations, " Neville shrugged.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Hermione asked curiously.

"Well he has a duty to protect Ginny since Ron decided they were getting married. Now he feels obligated to marry her even though it wasn't his idea in the first place."

Hermione choked on her pumpkin juice. "But he loves her! They should get married!" She hissed while sopping up the juice she'd sprayed with a napkin. Nervously she cast a glance down the table at her future sister-in-law.

"Did he say that?" Neville asked then stood up and left the Hall.

"Am I losing it Hermione? Didn't Harry say he loved Ginny?" Ron whispered in a strangled sort of voice. Hermione bit her lip, but couldn't recollect whether Harry ever had.

hpdmhpdmhpdmhpdm

Draco felt despondent. Potter would not appreciate finding out that they were bonded at birth. He'd probably call him ten kinds of liar before going back to kissing whomever it was he'd been snogging. He sighed unhappily. Why was Potter already kissing Ginny? Had he driven him happily back to the little woman, white picket fence and whatever else the Weaselette dreamed of at night?

He picked at the bed linens, grateful that Poppy hadn't released him yet. What would he say to Potter? Would Potter go back to hating him? Had all those kisses meant nothing to him?

Rolling over with a pout, Draco recalled a childhood story his mother had told him of heartsong. Heartsong was the sound a heart made when it was happily bonded to the one it loved. At the time he had dismissed it. But now as he felt strands of sorrowful music welling up from deep inside him, he believed at last.

Once Draco had fallen asleep a shadow moved, it drew closer until a hand framed in green and silver robes took the sheet of parchment. Dark eyes read it quickly, placed it back on the bed and strode purposefully from the room.

hpdmhpdmhpdmhpdm

Harry played listlessly with his food. Despite it being dinner time and he'd not really eaten properly since he'd been snogged more than properly, thank you, by one Draco Malfoy - he wasn't hungry. He tried not to look at the empty seat across the hall.

Where is he? Maybe he doesn't want to see me again? Has he gone back home? Does he regret it? Or is he waiting for me to tell Ginny? Should I tell Ginny? And does Neville really want to date her? Do I care?

"No," Harry said out loud, in response to his own question.

"I'm sorry honey, did you say something?" Ginny practically purred from where she sat to the right of him. She'd been hanging on him ever since he'd grudgingly apologized for his behavior. He fought down the nausea that seemed to overtake him each time she touched him. It just felt wrong somehow, though he couldn't put a finger on it.

"Err, I said 'no'." Harry summoned his bravery. "I don't think it’s fair to you at all."

Ginny frowned slightly. "Harry? What's not fair to me?"

"Um...I think he might mean what Hermione and I did," Ron admitted sitting on the other side of his sister. "Gin, it was me and 'Mione who thought the two of you should get married. I mean, we always wanted Harry in the family right?" He put a big grin on his face, but Ginny saw right through it.

She whipped around to face Harry again. "Is that true? You don't want to marry me?" Large tears filled her eyes.

"Nope. He's a bonded man," came a snide voice from behind him.

"BONDED!?" several of the Gryffindors yelled at once.

"Malfoy?" Hermione guessed.

Blaise Zabini smiled evilly. "None other. So you see, Weaselette, Potter can't be married to you if he's already bonded to Draco."

Ron was shaking with rage, Harry with confusion and hurt. It was at this exact moment, Draco Malfoy slipped into the Great Hall having just been released by Madame Pomfrey. He froze in his tracks at the sight of Blaise at the Gryffindor table. It didn't bode well. Not well at all. Green eyes met his from across the room and Harry bellowed loudly at both Blaise and Malfoy. "YOU LIAR!"

Draco reached out to stop Harry from running out of the room, grabbing him at the elbow. "Potter, I just found out today!"

Harry hissed and pulled away. Suddenly a necklace that had been around Harry's neck came to life and Draco was left staring into the gem eyes of an Egyptian Asp. It rose and looked at him with purpose.

"NO!" Both boys turned to see Ginny standing up shakily pointing her wand at Harry. "Tell Isis to calm down, Harry." She walked over to the two of them and grabbed the snake carefully and pulled it away from Harry's neck. Once she had it quickly reverted to his natural silver form, only the jade eyes still seemed to sparkle with life.

Ginny looked sadly from one to the other. "We need to talk." She looked back over her shoulder. "All of us."

hpdmhpdmhpdmhpdm

A mass of students worked their way to the Duelling Room. It seemed appropriate and was nearby. With a shrug he climbed the stairs to the platform along with Ginny, Ron and Hermione. Harry noted with satisfaction that even Malfoy looked put off by the sheer number of spectators. "Ignore them," Harry said folding his arms over his chest. "They find out anything anyway, they might as well get it right for a change." A titter of laughter went through the crowd that was mainly composed of Gryffindors and Slytherins.

"Fine," Ginny snapped crossing her arms over her chest as well. "How long have you been cheating on me?"

Gasps, ohh's and ahh's met this statement as the audience now leaned forward eagerly.

Harry's shoulders sagged. Uncrossing his arms he looked down and admitted. "Since the other day."

"With HIM?" She pointed angrily at Malfoy, thrusting out her chin and chest. Harry could remember when he wondered what it would be like to touch Ginny's breasts and then wondered how long he'd buried his reaction of detachment when he finally had. He blinked and smiled.

"Well, I am gay," Harry admitted with a slow smile.

It was met by Draco's own slow smile. "Really, Potter?" He gave an offhanded wink to Blaise, knowing the other Slytherin had done him a favor by forcing the issue. Blaise gave an imperceptible nod.

"My best mate is gay?" Ron asked in confusion.

Hermione looked pale and Ginny was shaking her head. "I should have known."

"Ginny? Does this mean you aren't mad at me?" Harry asked hopefully, turning away from Malfoy.

"Well, now that I think about it there were times that you didn't behave quite the way I thought you would." With a smirk she raised her top baring her breasts to the crowd. The boys in the audience hooted, except for Neville who had dashed up onto the stage and threw his robe over Ginny's boobs.

"Like when you saw these and felt me up and then ended the date." She put her top down, much to Neville's relief and dismay. Noticing this, Ginny said. "Neville?"

Neville blushed and Harry decided to jump in. "Ginny, Neville's had a crush on you for a long time. He'd be a much better boyfriend than I ever was. Honest."

"That wouldn't take much," Hermione groused. The flash in her eyes said that she and Harry would have more talking to do. Harry groaned.

Ron looked from Neville to Ginny. A sudden mind flash of his sister flashing her wares made him shudder. He pushed Neville to his sister, almost as a way to cover her up. "Good idea. Why don't you walk her back to the Common Room, eh Neville?" Ron asked hopefully seeing the-all-too-many interested looks his sister was suddenly getting.

The three Gryffindors and one Slytherin now faced off. It was awkward and finally Malfoy turned to face Harry. "I got this today." He thrust the paper into Harry's hand. With a questioning glance, Harry began to read the letter, feeling as he did that Ron and Hermione were reading it over his shoulder.

Harry looked up in confusion. "We're bonded?"

"Oh Harry," Hermione whispered. "You're basically married once you've touched. And you - "

"Snogged the hell out of each other?" Blaise cried out happily from the crowd.

"Oh yes, thank you ever so much, Zabini," Draco drawled. He looked back to Harry. "You cheated on me too, Potter. Who was it?"

Harry shuddered thinking of Neville's kiss. "It doesn't matter because I didn't mean it. Really, it was just a test." With a smile Harry asked. "Do you want to be bonded, Draco?"

Gulping past the wave of emotion clogging his throat at hearing Potter use his name so lovingly, Malfoy replied. "Yes, Harry. I do."

The bond was sealed with those words. Everyone graduated and went on to their own futures, but Malfoy and Potter had already found theirs under the names of Draco and Harry.

And the rest as they say, is history.

Chapter End Notes:
please review?