Chapter 7 – Harry develops a taste for Draco

Hermione sat back and stared openly at Draco. "Okay, enough of fantasy land. Let's get down to brass tacks."

"What?" Draco's blond brow furrowed in confusion.

"Brass tacks…Oh never mind," Hermione rolled her eyes. "We need to figure out how to get your father's political platform exposed for what it is."

"I'd like to talk to Severus about all of this first if you don’t mind, Granger. Besides don't you already have an assignment?" Draco's face told the rest of the story…he was cranky and needed to get coffee, sleep and eat - though not necessarily in that order.

She took her feet off the chair. "Fine, you’re right. I don't know what came over me. Thinking a man could handle two subjects at once. I've been far too lazy simply carrying twins, trying to solve your romantic issues while disposing of your father. Surely one of us is crazy." She glared at him before marching out the front door slamming it soundly behind her.

Draco shook his head and went to stand before the pool. He wondered if it was better to leave some things unsaid. After all they didn't even know for sure if he would survive staying the night. It was only one little kiss.

Granger had been cranky but she was trying to get him to see how much people were helping him right now. It was just something that he was neither familiar with nor comfortable accepting.

"Harry, maybe I –"

Harry hooked his arms over the pool and edge and looked at him. "Yes?"

"Maybe I'm not really supposed to be with you. It could have been some sort of fluke with the energy thing, or maybe I'm remembering that silly rhyme incorrectly."

"I see," Harry replied coolly.

"You see what?" Draco asked taking offense at the tone.

"You're scared. I could make you happy and it’s scaring you shitless to think I'm the only one that really could do that. Don't you think the same thing is happening to me? It's like being suddenly blinded with a truth you were never prepared for. I'm not asking you to stay here forever, get married and have my…okay our children…whatever." Harry waved a wet hand about. "But I have to admit one thing."

"What?" Draco asked dragging up a chair to sit in.

"I seem to have developed a …hmm…how should I put this? A taste for you?" Harry shrugged.

Draco felt like a fire had been lit low in his belly. They could make promises despite all the uncertainties. Yet if Harry was here it felt like everything would be alright. Sure there was a lot of doubts, but if Harry, who had experienced real love from each end, could be brave, couldn't he?

So why did he feel like he was betraying a memory of Blaise? Why couldn't he just get on with his life? Yet doubts plagued him. What would occur with the bonding magic? Would he be able to help dispose of Lucius in public office and if so would he survive the fallout?

If he asked Harry to wait… no, did he want to wait? It wasn't like he was going to break. And hadn't he put his whole life on hold for one reason or another? Should he put it on hold just because of other factors in his life right now, no matter if they were screwing with his mental health?

If Harry wanted to taste him again…then maybe they'd gotten one thing right in this whole mess. It could be a good sign. Wouldn't Blaise want him to learn to love someone? If that crazy bonding magic was right then Harry was really the only person who was truly meant for him anyway. He could feed Harry a line of bullshit of pretense but if this was all for real was he ever going to be worth anything without Harry?

Harry was looking at him with patience. Green eyes looked at him with hope. But did he deserve that? Even after what Blaise went through loving him when he didn't return the feeling. Draco felt shame to this day for that. Was Harry only doing this for…ah, hell.

In this moment, was anything smaller or larger than baring his soul to Harry? Yes, he never would have done this in the past baring himself to the former Gryffindor to such a vulnerability. But time had changed them both. And if this worked out isn't that what mattered? Maybe this whole magic and bonding thing was bigger than both of them. Besides next to Harry Potter, he was just a nobody. Exactly what his father wanted him to be. But with Harry he could be so much more.

Hell that look Potter was giving him alone made him feel like he was somebody. That he could be special in return. If he was ever to be capable of feeling for someone could it be Potter? All through Hogwarts the energy between them had crackled. It lived dimly in the back of his brain all these years. If he was truthful he had missed Harry in his life.

And here they were. He could have Harry Potter in his life, perhaps for the rest of his life. Was it worth the risk? He'd be putting Harry in danger staying here. But what would he be doing to what they could conceivably have if he snuck out in the middle of the night or when Potter's back was turned. Surely Harry would never forgive him.

It was time to be truthful… completely… there could be no more lies between them on any level. Draco tried to let his honestly radiate through his eyes. "I know the feeling."

Harry smiled. It was brilliant and as sun reflecting of the water around Harry the morning rays shining behind him. "I don't know about you, but I barely slept last night."

Draco took a deep inhale of breath. He'd done it and there'd been no backlash or ridicule. "I spent the night getting my things together. My father will realize at any time that I've skipped out. He might be able to track my magic, so it might be a good time for me to try and grab some sleep if you don't mind."

"Track your magic?" Harry asked pulling himself out of the pool.

"I shouldn’t use it now unless it's an emergency. He might try to do a spell to find my magical signature and if I'm asleep it will be too low to detect." Draco explained as he handed Harry a fluffy white towel from a nearby stack. His eyes trailed over that body for the second time in that morning. He wondered vaguely if he could sleep after seeing that yet again.

Harry nodded transforming the towel into a plush robe and slipping it on. "I'll show you the guest room."