Chapter 5 – Draco's escape

Draco decided his father's unusual quiet over dinner that night meant it was time to leave the Manor. He quietly slipped out around midnight and after making several stops to collect money he'd hidden over the years and stopped at last at Potter’s. Throughout the night he wondered if he should at least tell Potter where he was going. It could put him in danger, but then again it might be good to have someone know where he was. And he didn’t want Potter… no Harry to wonder where he'd gone.

As he stood on the front porch arguing internally, he also wondered how things had gotten quite this messed up. A few days ago, he barely knew Potter still existed. Now he was calling him 'Harry' and was concerned for his feelings and welfare. It was a good thing his mother hadn't lived to see this day. She would have turned instantly white with horror and then had to spend a day at the salon to have it redone to her natural blonde.

His hand was finally on its way to knock when Harry opened the door. Draco did a double take. Harry had one hand on the doorknob and the other holding up a small towel. He was obviously fresh from the shower as tiny water droplets were scattered over his broad chest. "Draco!"

"I don't suppose you have coffee on yet?" Draco asked in a husky voice.

"Actually I just put it on," Harry shook his head, spraying Draco with water unintentionally. "Did you smell it or something?"

"Mmmm," Draco replied looking up and down Harry's body. He had slim hips that were accentuated by the white towel. His chest was broad as were his shoulders. And it all tapered down into strong muscular thighs. He was a walking wet dream. How had he managed to hide such a body all these years? Oh yes, terrible clothing. Draco was riveted.

"If you're done gawking Draco I'd like to get my newspaper and then get dressed."

"Oh don't bother on my account," Draco blurted out then winced at his own faux pas.

Harry actually smiled. Draco wasn't sure why he suddenly felt thrilled by that. He was only sure he wanted to see Harry smile again. "The coffee is in the kitchen Draco. I'll be right down."

"Oh right," Draco moved aside as Harry leaned over to pick up the paper from the owl he hadn't noticed standing beside him. Harry leaned over and Draco found himself captivated by the wet towel molding itself to a shapely cheek. Gulping he adjusted his pants and moved quickly toward the kitchen.

He poured himself a cup of still brewing coffee, ignoring the hiss as a few drops hit the burner before he placed the carafe back. Draco was shaken by his reactions. Was it just because of what Severus had said? Or was it the suggestion from Granger that the two of them should date? More than likely it was the fact that there had been no one since Blaise. Had it really been ten years? Yes, he'd dated but never…

"So what brings you here so early?" Harry asked. Draco saw he was now fully dressed in a pair of dark jeans and long sleeve v-neck gray shirt. He tried to ignore how disappointed he was that Harry was no longer in the towel.

Draco looked down into his cup and leaned back against the black countertop. "I wanted to tell you that I have to leave and go underground for a bit."

Harry's hand froze on the way to the coffeemaker. "Why?"

Taking a deep breath Draco decided to continue on with the truth. "My father is quiet. Too quiet in fact and that can only mean that he's plotting something. My instinct tells me that he's on to me and so it’s time to leave."

"But you can't!" Harry blurted out putting his mug down.

Draco snorted. "Actually, I've already collected everything I need."

Harry was silent. His gaze was unwavering as he met Draco's eyes. "Don't go." The words were spoken softly yet they were like an arrow to Draco's chest. For the first time in a decade he felt his heart beating. Suddenly Draco didn't want to go. It was the last thing on earth he wanted to do.

"There's no other way Harry, I –"

"Stay here," Harry was suddenly right there in his space. Only the coffee cup in Draco's hands seemed to be separating them. "Please."

Draco's mind was filled with reasons as to why this was a really, bad, bad idea. But Harry seemed to have made up his mind. "Look, you said you already have all that you need. Your father would never think to come here for you and he knows that he is not welcome either."

Abruptly the image of Blaise after his father's attempted rape swam into his mind. Draco turned and put the mug down as he fought to keep his own stomach under control. "You don't know what he's capable of. If he gets a hold of you…"

Harry's hand touched his shoulder. It was warm and strong. Draco closed his eyes taking strength from the gesture. "He did something to Blaise didn't he?" If Draco had been thinking too loud he would have missed the softly spoken question.

"He tried. Everyone said for years what a monster my father was. And now they think he's reformed. But they don't get it. He's still the same monster; he's just adapted to his surroundings. It's what we Slytherins do best." Draco felt the bitterness of years on his tongue, but he blamed it on the coffee pouring it down the drain.

"You're only half Lucius Malfoy, remember? Half of you is your mother's son, Narcissa Black." Harry's hand was moving back and forth.

"Ah yes, the Noble House of Black. Did your godfather not tell you of all the Dark Wizards that came from my mum's side? Face it Potter, some of us can't be saved."

"Bullshit," Harry turned Draco around, pulled him into his arms and surprised them both by kissing him. Draco froze in shock as Harry's one arm wound around his waist and the other cupped his face. It was strong, possessive and powerful. And like every witch or wizard he'd kissed before he could taste the other's magic. But Harry's was intoxicating. Draco felt his blood surge toward it like a sirens call, as his eyes fell shut and he gave in to the kiss.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~