Your Fellow Man, Chapter 20

Hermione arrived at Harry’s and wasn’t surprised he wasn’t around. In truth, she had expected it. The waves of desire between Harry and Draco had been a bit thick at times. So she sat in her favorite chair with a cup of tea, smirking toward the ceiling. She pointed her wand toward it. “Finite Incantatum.” Satisfied that any silencing spells the two had employed would now be dissolved she put her wand away.

And waited.
There were no sounds coming from upstairs at all. A chill ran up her back along with a sense of foreboding. She rose to her feet and took out her wand once more. Slowly she crept upon the floors of the house her wand extended carefully before her. The twins, sensing her anxiety, kicked hard slowing her progress for several moments.
While stopped she took stock of her situation. Draco and Harry seemed to be missing. She was alone with a possible intruder in the house. And she was pregnant with twins. “I’m acting like a textbook Gryffindor, rushing in without thinking,” she whispered aloud berating her inability to fight at this time. It was better to go for help. With a sigh, she crept out as silently as possible to go for help

Ron returned to the Burrow, not realizing that he’d been missed. He was beyond surprised when an angry mob of red-haired family members had suddenly surrounded him. “Uh, hi guys.”
“DON’T YOU DARE BE FLIPPANT WITH US YOUNG MAN!!” Molly Weasley bellowed. “WE KNOW WHERE YOU WERE AND THAT YOU’VE GONE OVER TO THE OTHER SIDE! HOW COULD YOU RONALD BILIUS WEASLEY! YOUR OWN FATHER WORKS AT THE MINISTRY OF MAGIC. YOU’VE BETRAYED YOUR FAMILY AND HAVE ENDANGERED THE LIVES OF BOTH HARRY AND DRACO!”
“But mum!” Ron sputtered.
“I am in complete agreement with your mother Ron.” Arthur stated in a cool flat tone. “Even when your brother Percy turned his back on us, he didn’t leave us to go consort with a KNOWN DEATH EATER! You know what Lucius Malfoy is Ron “ EVIL!”
Mutters of consensus surrounded Ron. He tried to disapparate out only to find some sort of shield had been erected. “House Arrest, I’d say Ronniekins,” the twins chorused together and quite happily frog-marched him to his room and locked him in securely. Upon arriving back outside a new discussion began to take place, how to warn Harry in time.
It was just as they were really getting rolling with ideas, that Hermione waddled out from the house, one hand on her swollen belly. “Something’s wrong at Harry’s!” she shouted to one and all. Tears began to roll down her cheeks as Molly hugged her soothingly. “Had to leave…protect the twins…should have stayed…I could have found out why it was so quiet,” she wailed between great heaving sobs of guilt and anguish.
“Now, now dear. You did the right thing and protected those babies.” With a mere head nod to the men assembled they knew they’d been dispatched to help Harry. Cracks of apparition filled the air before Molly gently escorted Hermione back into the house for a cup of chamomile tea. Exhaustion and nerves had caught up with Hermione at last and she was soon tucked in for a nap.

When the Weasley’s arrived at Harry’s they were surprised to find that Severus had beaten them there. They’d forgotten all about the Order meeting and that he had witnessed the airing of all their dirty laundry. It made for an awkward moment, until they felt the quiet pressure in the house which more than anything spurred them into action. Severus and Arthur split the group of youngsters into two groups, one to search the first floor and the other to search the top floor.
It was Arthur who literally stumbled into the pair who were unconscious on the floor with looks of pain upon their faces. Severus heard the sound and followed him into the room, albeit far more gracefully. With wand drawn he looked at Arthur, who was blushing wildly while trying to climb to his feet. Severus thought momentarily about helping him up but then thought better of it. He pointed his wand at the two, “ENERVATE.”
Harry and Draco groaned, sitting up slowly and looking peaked. “What happened?” Draco was the first to ask, wincing at what an obvious question it was. “I gather I collapsed?”
“Yeah,” Harry answered rubbing his head. “Are you okay Draco?”
Draco nodded slowly. “You?”
Severus rolled his eyes. “If you are quite done with your mutual concern, would either of you care to hazard a guess as to what happened?”
“I don’t know,” Harry replied simply.
“Let’s ask your house elf,” Arthur suggested, earning a modicum of respect from Severus.
Harry called for him and Dobby appeared before them all. Taking in the fact that both Harry and Draco were still sitting on the floor he was overcome with concern. “Master! Is you alright? Was it the Black magic? Did one of you tell an untruth?” Dobby pulled at his ears anxiously.
“Of course,” Severus whispered. “It’s a certainty that’s precisely what happened.”
A crowd of heads appeared at the door, belonging to the other searches. “Good thing you’re okay!” Fred and George declared together happily.
“What’s this about Black magic?” Arthur asked curiously.
With a sigh, Severus filled him in on the situation as Harry and Draco made their way to their feet, albeit unsteadily. “Right,” Fred looked at them both. “Then who lied?” He glared accusingly at Draco.
“Does it matter when our own Ronniekins has betrayed him?” George asked in return.
“What?” Harry asked in mind-numbing confusion.
“It’s true Harry. Ron has gone to Lucius to get him to eliminate Draco from your life.” Arthur looked at Draco sadly. “I’m sorry Draco. I had no idea-“
“Ron,” Harry whispered still in shock.
“Harry, snap out of it. My father could be on his way over here. We won’t have a better opportunity than this to catch him in the act.” Draco said quickly, dropping to a hushed tone.
A chill ran up Severus’ spine and he hushed them all with an angry hiss. Instantly wands were all pointed toward the bedroom door. With a flurry of hand motions they were soon all spread out.
Harry and Draco shared a look of silent communication before they both jumped into the bed and covered themselves, as the distinctive creak of stairs indicated they definitely had a visitor. The sounds crept ever closer and everyone could feel the tension building. Severus made one last hand movement indicating they all stay put.
A shadow filled the door, but they all held their places despite the burning desire to jump. It wasn’t until the wand of the person entering was raised toward the lumpy bed that a cry echoed around the room, “NOW!”
Several things happened at once and time seemed to slow down.
It happened just as the words from Lucius spilled out, “Avada Kedavra.“
Harry shoved Draco out of the bed with all his might, as a green glow covered the bed.
“NO!” Draco screamed, shooting his own killing spell toward his father.

The bed went still, Lucius dropped seconds before the twins pushed him to the floor. Severus bound Lucius and Arthur petrified him.
Then all eyes were focused on the blond on the bed, cradling Harry to his chest and crying.
“Is he?” someone whispered, even as they all thought it.
Draco wailed in agony and collapsed on top of Harry, strands of magic filling the air around him. Dobby entered the room and took in the scene. He pointed a glowing finger at the duo and everyone held their breath, wondering if the Black magic had claimed them both.
A shudder, a groan, a simultaneous sigh of relief and Fred or George announced happily. “Looks like they made it!”
Chapter End Notes:
Sorry it took me so long to get the chapters straightened out again. I hope it takes this time!