Author's Chapter Notes:
thank you nefernat
Your Fellow Man Chapter 15

The foursome practically collapsed in Harry’s sitting room. Hermione put her feet up and threw her head back. “Merlin, I’m glad that’s over.” She shot a smile at Severus. “You were wonderful. How did you know we’d need you?”

“Yes, how did you know?” Harry asked as well.

“Actually, I’d taken up a position in the Ministry offices where I could easily monitor the situation. When I saw him show up I made haste to get down there.” Severus replied.

“I bet he’s destroying my room right now,” Draco looked away, sadness etched on his face. Harry reached over and took his hand. Draco looked down at it and then at Harry. “I can’t believe you shielded me like that.”

“Humph,” Severus snorted. “The matter at hand now is what his next move will be. I expect he’ll play the sympathy card.”

Hermione tapped her lips. “So we will need something to counter that.” She smiled evilly looking at Harry and Draco.

“What?” Harry asked.

“Uh oh, I don’t like that look,” Draco pressed himself back into the couch.

Severus chuckled. “I quite agree and I’m very thankful it’s not aimed at me.”

Hermione smirked. “What we need to do is go public with this relationship between the two of you. Go out on the town and become the darlings of the people.”

“But won’t that just show I have an ulterior motive?” Harry worried his bottom lip.

“Everyone has an ulterior motive Potter, stop being such a Gryffindor. They will all know something is going on. But don’t you see? It will give the people a reason to think about the same sex unions. They won’t want their darling hero to be unhappy. That bit you made up about your muggle family was genius.” Draco shook his head. Severus looked questioningly at Harry who looked away.

This time it was Hermione who reached out to touch Harry’s hand. “It was the truth. Ron told me about the time they had put bars on your windows –“

“That tripe Weasley told me after nearly destroying the Whomping Willow was true?” Severus asked incredulously. Draco’s eyes went wide. Harry got up, walked out back, waved a hand over his clothes changing into his trunks and dove into the pool.

Draco and Severus turned back to Hermione, who was watching Harry with concern, for an answer. “It was all true. And he left a lot off. Charlie told Ron that he thought Harry’s cousin had…had –“

She wiped away a tear that had fallen down her cheek. “Well, that hardly matters now does it?”

Surprisingly it was Severus who pulled out a handkerchief and offered it wordlessly to Hermione, who took it gratefully, her eyes shining with unshed tears.

“Excuse me.” Draco stood and walked over to the pool. He waited for Harry to notice him. After a few laps Harry folded his arms over the side. “Want to talk about it?”

“No,” Harry bluntly replied.

“Still I don’t understand –“

“I’ve had enough of this Draco. Didn’t you listen? I don’t want to talk about this,” Harry slipped back into the water.

Draco made his way back to the sitting room. “You should see the look on your face. The Malfoy charm has its limits? It seems you’ve picked up that little trick from your father of pushing people to their –“

“Severus,” Hermione looked with disapproval at the other man. But Draco blinked at not only the admonishment from her to the older man but at the fact he’d heeded it. Clearing her throat Hermione spoke again. “He’ll tell you in time, just let it go for now.”

“I was just discussing with Hermione how the Weasley’s will react. Were you aware that he was going to make these foundations and bills?” Severus asked Draco with an eyebrow raised pointedly.

“He made the alterations to the basic and short speech I wrote for him. But yes, he let me read it this morning. He can’t seem to let Charlie go.” Draco slumped over his hands. “His ghost is hanging over us.”

Severus rolled his eyes. “I wash my hands of talking about this self-defeating way you have of throwing yourself away.” He stood suddenly. “If you need me contact the school. I don’t think I’ll be home until Lucius calms down. It’s far safer at Hogwarts.”

Draco nodded distractedly not even noticing the older man departing. Hermione watched him go before turning her attention to the figure before her, a vision of self-defeat. “You really care about him.”

“Who?” Draco frowned.

“Harry. Did you tell him?” She asked despite knowing the answer.

“Do I look like a Hufflepuff to you? “ Draco looked toward the pool. “How could they hurt him? Why would Dumbledore let that happen?”

“They were trying to beat the magic out of him. He uses a glamour to cover the scars, but most are on the inside. Ron said he spent most of first year dreading going back there. I spoke to my parents about it, but we had no proof and Harry was scared of them. Dumbledore said he had to keep going back for the blood protection they afforded him. The Weasley’s tried to get him away from there too.” She was silent a minute then said. “For someone who doesn’t care you seem very interested in his life.”

“How do I compete with a ghost?” Draco asked rather than comment on what she’d said.

“I’m not sure I know how to answer that.”

Draco looked at her in surprise. “Know it all Granger doesn’t have the answer? Call the Prophet.”

“Oh do grow up.” Hermione said quietly, closing her eyes and letting her head fall further back. Draco watched as she fell asleep then lost himself in silent contemplation.

His thoughts were disturbed as a familiar looking owl tapped at the window. “Shit.” He rose to his feet and took the envelope from the owl who nipped him sharply before taking off. Draco hissed as he saw it was from the solicitors used by his family. “Bastard didn’t waste any time.”

“Draco?” Harry called while walking toward him, still trying to dry off with a towel.

Rather than answer Draco opened the envelope and scanned what it said. “Disinherited, barred from any family properties or holdings and my name has been stricken from the tapestry. You will of course, excuse me.”

Harry was confused by Draco’s calloused tone. He reached out toward the blond, only to have it shrugged off. A few minutes later he heard the shower going. Harry understood all too well.

If you cry in the shower, no one can tell.