Author's Chapter Notes:
thanks to Nefernat & Onyx Ice
Harry read over the speech then started to feel the pressure of Draco’s gaze. Excusing himself while putting some coffee on, as the tea wasn’t cutting it, he made his way back to his room. Sitting on the edge of the bed he took stock. His life was about to change. Whether he won or lost things would never be the same.

The picture on the nightstand of he and Charlie standing together had managed to miss being swept away into storage. Picking it up he ran his fingers down the side. Then inspiration hit him and he began to make some changes to the speech. When he was all done he finished it with a flourish feeling much better about it. Seeing the picture again he smiled at it feeling more at peace with Charlie’s memory than ever before. Picking it up he moved it to a bookcase, where he could see it if he wanted to but it wasn’t such a constant. Draco had been right as had Hermione, it was time to move on with his life.

Coming back downstairs he found Draco waiting for him patiently. “I was starting to think you’d changed your mind.”

“No,” Harry looked at the scroll in his hand then at Draco before handing it to the blond. “I’ve made some changes.” Draco gave a small nod taking the scroll. Harry then moved to the kitchen for a cup of fresh coffee all the while keeping an eye on Draco’s face for any signs of a reaction to the changes he’d made.

But Draco’s face was reserved, giving away nothing. “Not bad. I wonder how the Weasley’s will react though.”

“Oh I didn’t even think of that.” Harry sat down and looked distractedly into his cup. “If they have a problem with it I’ll just change the name.”

Draco nodded. “When you finish that cup we better get going.” He reached across the table to place his hand over Harry’s. “This has to be done.” Taking a deep breath Harry took in some of that resolve gratefully, squeezing Draco’s hand back. Once his resolve was steeled they left together using side-by-side apparition.

The second they arrived they were swarmed by reporters and curiosity seekers. Hermione had managed to secure a few Aurors who cleared the way for Harry and Draco once they spotted them. Working their way up to the podium they were besieged by questions. Draco kept pulling Harry forward and when they reached the top landing the area was then secured by the Aurors.

“Showtime,” Draco said into Harry’s ear while pushing him in front of the podium. Then he quickly cast a calming and cheering charm over Harry. The effects were practically visible as Harry suddenly smiled and waved at the crowd, looking completely at ease.

“Thank you all for coming here today. It has come to my attention that you are all looking for candidates for the position of Minister of Magic.” Laughter rolled over the crowd. “While I may not have political experience, I do carry ideas for the future of our world from a unique perspective. As some of you know I was raised by muggle relatives. During my years at Hogwarts, I was personally mentored by Albus Dumbledore. In the battle against Voldemort,” some in the audience still cringed at the mention of the dark wizard,” I fought for this world.”

“I have hopes and dreams to better this world, while I believe some things should not be changed at all. Yet the Wizarding World needs to move forward in order to survive. Let me share with you some of those things I’d seek to change if you elected me to office.”

“Firstly, let me share with you something that Albus himself told me saved me from Voldemort’s Killing Curse.” The reporters leaned forward curiously. ”It was love. The love of my mother saved me.” A murmur swept through the crowd at this.

”Love is all around us, yet being hindered by archaic laws. I wish to change those laws and make same sex unions legal.” There was a bit of a dark murmuring at this. “Also, in an effort to help our dwindling population grow, I want to make the rather costly pregnancy potions available to those couples through a foundation I’d like to create – The Charles Weasley Foundation.” Now the whispers took on a more positive sound. “However, keeping in mind the solid family traditions which are such an important part of our society those potions would only be made available to those who can prove they have been married.” Nods of approval and the sounds of scribbling quills now filled the air.

“But Mr. Weasley was not the only unsung hero of the war. Another wizard, Remus Lupin gave his life for the cause, though his own life and pursuit of happiness was restricted by the very world he fought to save. Thus I wish to create the Remus Lupin Act, to ensure rights for the magical creatures in our community whom have shown themselves to be respectable, law abiding citizens. This act would allow them to have a family, secure employment with leave if needed adaptable to their particular circumstance. They should not be punished for the hand life has dealt them.”

“As I mentioned earlier I was raised by muggles. What isn’t widely known is that I was abused verbally, emotionally and physically by them. They made me a servant, forced me to live in a cupboard, go without meals and worse.” A gap filled the air, including one to his immediate right that he knew was Draco. “It is because of this I wish to institute a halfway house for Wizarding Children to be saved from living in such circumstances.”

“A child’s name shows up on the magical scrolls at the Ministry once they are born. Each child should be monitored from this time to make sure they are living in a proper environment. This is not to take away the children from the home, rather to give them a safe house where they can go until circumstances are bettered at their home. It is only in the worse case scenario am I suggesting they be permanently moved to another wing at the halfway house, where they can begin to assimilate living in our world.”

“Undoubtedly you’ve heard platforms of my worthy opponents. I ask only that you to be wary of anyone who is not moving our world forward but miring it in the past and prejudices that come far to close to being the same rhetoric spouted by Voldemort. Please consider what your vote will mean for the future, the children and all creatures great and small in our world. Thank you for your time.”

Questions erupted from the gathered group, but above them all could be heard a roar of anger. “HOW DARE YOU!”

All eyes turned to see Lucius Malfoy standing at the back, breathing heavily and clenching his walking stick ready to whip out his wand. “Father,” came a hushed whisper to Harry’s right. Without a second thought, Harry placed himself before Draco.

Lucius pushed his way through the crowd. Cameras went off and the reporters seemed thrilled at the arrival of the other obvious candidate. While several questions had been asked about Draco Malfoy, son of the opposition, standing at his right side, it had not been addressed by Harry. The reporters hoped that this new development would answer their questions.

“Draco Malfoy. What are you doing here?” Lucius sneered once he’d made his way to the front.

Harry turned to Draco and tried to express through his eyes that he wished he could protect him from answering his father. Draco’s face gave nothing away. But in his eyes Harry could see he understood. Draco stepped forward, but didn’t leave Harry’s side. “I am here to offer support for Harry Potter and his ideas for the future of our world.”

“You are my son.” Lucius hissed softly. “How dare you ignore your rightful place.”

Draco spoke up loudly. “I am my own man father and I support Mr. Potter’s ideas.”

“You are bedding him!” Lucius grimaced.

“My support of Mr. Potter is not based on my current lack of a sex life.” A few reporters chuckled at this.

“He is a Mud- a muggle born! Therefore he is unfit to hold office!” Lucius snapped.

Draco turned to the crowd. “Do any of you here think that Mr. Potter is any less capable of holding the office of Minister of Magic than any of those who have previously held it?”

There was some murmuring but no one complained.

Lucius took a menacing step closer to Draco and Harry. “I will disown you if you continue down this path. You are turning your back on your family.”

“You sir, are turning your back on your son’s ability to be his own man. For years you trained him to follow in your footsteps of the Dark Lord’s teachings, did you not?” Harry blinked wondering when Severus had shown up. The dark haired man put a supportive hand on Draco’s shoulder.

“Traitor!” Lucius yelled pulling out his wand at last and pointing it at Severus who had suddenly placed himself ahead of both Harry and Draco.

The Aurors quickly surrounded Lucius, who had been hit by several spells and took him away. At the same time the reporters took pictures of the scene. It took some time for the remaining Aurors to calm the crowd and in the confusion Harry, Draco, Hermione and Severus made their escape to Harry’s house.