Author's Chapter Notes:
thanks to nefernat
Dinner finally dissolved into trivial matters ending over coffee and herbal tea for Hermione. Before bidding everyone goodnight for the evening and departing, Severus warned them all to stand by for the reaction from Malfoy Manor when Lucius read the article in the morning.

Without even realizing they were doing it both Harry and Draco turned as one to look at Hermione expectantly. She bit back a chuckle. Hermione was half tempted to stay the night, just to see how they would dance around each other and her, but knew that she really did need to head home. It didn’t do to leave Ron to his own imaginings for too long. She got up with a great deal of effort and made a show of stretching. “As much as I’d like to stay, there’s nothing like your own bed. Thanks for dinner. I’m sure we will be talking soon, possibly tomorrow. Oh and don’t worry about Ron. I’ll give him a heads up on what’s going on. Maybe he’ll appreciate the situation more if it means getting Lucius out of the picture.”

Harry walked her to the fireplace for a final hug goodbye while Draco surveyed the mess that was the kitchen, wondering where to start. In a few moments, Harry joined him and together they straightened things up, utilizing a bit of Harry’s magic to speed things along. When they were all done they fell into an awkward silence.

“I expect Granger will set up your appointment for the press conference then?” Draco asked breaking the pregnant pause.

“Oh? Oh. Right. Yeah, I expect she will.” Harry shrugged.

“Harry…”

“Draco…”

They both began at once, and then gestured to the other to begin. With a dramatic huff, Draco said, “For the love of Salazar!” He grabbed Harry and pulled him into a deep, long kiss. At first Harry was stiff in his arms but then he slowly brought his hands up to play in Draco’s hair. Both ignored the swirls of magic around them. When Draco felt Harry had relaxed he stepped back. “Well, I’d love to continue this but I have an appointment upstairs for a serious wank session.” Draco drawled sarcastically. “Good night Harry.”

“Um, Draco?” Harry started awkwardly.

Draco gave a little evil smile, full of hope and lust. “Yes Harry?”

“I, well, that is to say… maybe I could, um, help?”

While his mind swam with a wealth of possible answers to that offer what came out of Draco’s mouth, must to his own surprise was,” What brought this on?”

Harry dusted something off his shirt, purposely avoiding Draco’s penetrating gaze. “I might have discussed it with Hermione.”

Draco felt his mouth drop open and forced himself to close it. “You discussed what’s going on between us with someone else rather than me?”

“She brought it up,” Harry shot back defensively.

Shaking his head, Draco turned back toward the stairs. “Actually I don’t need any help as the matter is no longer an issue.”

Harry bit his lip, wondering what he’d done wrong as he watched Draco leave. He spent a restless night trying to figure out the answer. But as morning came he realized that he was no closer to finding out what he’d done wrong than he had been right after it happened. Disgruntled and tired, he made his way to the bathroom for a long shower and some pepper-up potion to get him through what was sure to be a very long day indeed.

Arriving downstairs Harry found Draco was already at the table with a cup of tea in one hand and a copy of the Daily Prophet in the other. Before even a proper greeting was exchanged Draco said over the paper. “Severus roasted my father alive in this morning’s edition. Hell, I could run for office right now and look good. Oh, by the way, Granger’s owl arrived this morning. I expect it is a note telling us what time to arrive at the press conference and where she set it up to take place.”

Harry sighed at the wall that seemed to have appeared between them overnight and picked up the white envelope from his usual seat at the table.

Harry,

I’ll expect you at the steps of the Ministry at half past ten. Don’t be late and wear your best black dress robes with a red shirt. I’ll coordinate you and Draco when you get there. You do know what to say don’t you?

Hermione

“We have to be at the Ministry steps at half past ten.” Harry informed his houseguest before moving to get a cup of tea and sat down. “She wants me to say something but –“

“I’ve already written something out for you,” Draco pointed with one long elegant finger to the side desk, upon which sat a scroll. “Look it over. I know a short-term memory spell you can use. And before you ask, I didn’t use it in school; it wasn’t allowed.”

Harry shut his mouth with a snap that was exactly what he was going to ask.

“I might add a line or two of direct quotes from the paper. Honestly, this is brutal. My father will be incensed. I actually feel sorry for the staff today.” Draco shuddered, making the paper quake in his hands. “Hmm, I wonder when they took that picture of him? It’s dreadful.”

“I don’t want you to go,” Harry said suddenly realizing the danger that Draco would be in the second that Lucius became aware of his involvement.

The paper lowered and Draco’s eyes fixed him to the spot. “Why ever not? You’ll need my support. Show of strength from the opposite camp and all that.”

“We don’t know what he might try to pull. He could have assassins there or something. Or maybe he’ll show up and hex you,” Harry said pointedly in a voice filled with concern.

Draco carefully folded the paper and put it on the table. “You’re worried about me?”

“Yes, I suppose I am,” Harry answered firmly.

A small enigmatic smile crossed Draco’s face. “What would you fancy for breakfast before we go?”

Harry blinked. He had just lost the argument somehow, but in a way felt as though he’d made amends, especially if Draco was offering to make breakfast. But maybe one was more important than the other. And when did it become so important?

“I suppose kippers and eggs,” Draco decided. Passing Harry as he headed for the kitchen, he dropped a light kiss on Harry’s head. And Harry grinned happily.