Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Nefernat
Lucius strutted around Severus Snape's living room. With one gloved finger he dusted the top of a bookshelf and looked around with a raised eyebrow. "I take it that you are one of those unfortunates who lost a house elf?"

"Indeed," Severus admitted, pouring out a finger of brandy for them both and handing the crystal tumbler to Lucius. "Although it is quite refreshing to no longer have to worry about tripping over one of them with a delicate potion in my hand."

"Hmm," Lucius contributed before sipping delicately at his brandy. "Your presence has been lacking at the Death Eater meetings."

"School and all that," Severus offered. Lucius nodded, it was a common enough excuse with Snape. "How is Draco?"

Lucius barely moved a muscle and eyed his glass speculatively. "I suppose he's out making the rounds."

Severus raised an eyebrow. "Indeed. You seem rather calm about that."

"I choose not to think about it," Lucius sneered. Snape once again counted his blessings that Lucius never found out about his relationship with Remus. "If you see him, tell him that I need to see him on matters pertaining to the Manor."

"Of course," Severus answered in measured tones. He was all too aware that Lucius was watching him for any reaction. Severus also noted that Lucius was playing the 'Manor card' as he and Draco liked to call it. The Manor was one of the few Malfoy possessions that Draco truly cared for and they all knew it.

Lucius finished his brandy and rose gracefully to his feet. "We hope to see you at the next meeting. There are some important plans that need to be addressed."

"I would welcome the chance to be away from those brats," Severus sneered. The corner of Lucius' mouth twitched with a hint of a smile. Lucius gave a bit of a bow and left by the front door before Apparating away.

Severus allowed himself a minute to crumple against the front door and congratulate himself on keeping up the ruse. Sometimes he despaired that his long time friendship with Lucius Malfoy was destined to end in blood or disgrace. Yet he used his long kept Slytherin façade to keep his emotions well hidden. It was in hidden moments like this he allowed it to pull him down. Like an ocean it crashed down over him, making him feel older than he truly was.

Severus knew he was no hero. But he knew he had to keep Draco safe at all costs. It was not yet safe to go check on him. Severus had grown weary of being concerned about tracking charms, but the best answer was to wait until it would wear off, to be safe. He poured himself another drink and wished for days long past. There were no answers for him. The best he could hope for was to remain at Hogwarts. With a sudden longing for his beloved dungeons he used the Floo to go back to the castle. Once he’d recovered from his little encounter with Lucius he owled Harry.


Draco looked up and shook his head. “That man never misses a cue. I still don’t know how he does it.” In response to the two questioning looks from Harry and Hermione he gestured toward the distinctive black horned owl winging their way. “That’s perfect timing.”

“Well, you have to admit that Snape has always known how to make an entrance.” Hermione laughed.

“Careful, I might let him know about this crush you’re harboring for the man,” Draco teased.

“Can I help it if it took me until after graduation to appreciate what a sexy beast the man is?” Hermione challenged.

“Is she kidding?” Draco asked Harry as he took the message from the owl.

“Merlin, I don’t want to know,” Harry shivered. His eyes glanced over the missive quickly before summarizing for the others. “He’ll be over in a bit. It seems your father,” he looked at Draco sympathetically, “was grilling him for information in regards to your whereabouts.”

Draco trembled visibly. “I told you I should leave. This was a stupid idea.”

Harry grabbed his arm. “Show me that you meant it before when you said you’d stay and face this with me. There is no way I’m running for Minister without you by my side. Only you know how to take him down. We need you, Draco. Don’t be a prat.”

Shamed, Draco looked down. “Sorry, force of habit. What say we sit down? If I know Severus he’ll arrive just as the wine is opened.” The trio sat down and began to dish out the spaghetti, salad and garlic bread. “Told you,” Draco smirked at the sound of the front door opening and closing. “Good timing, dinner is ready.”

“Just tell me that the wine is opened,” Severus snapped irritably.

Hermione raised an eyebrow in Harry’s direction while Draco poured the man a glass. “What did daddy dearest have to say?”

Pressing a hand against one temple while drinking of his wine, Severus rolled his eyes. Draco immediately deciphered the gesture. “Father gave him a headache by forcing him to act as pompous as he does while maintaining my secret.”

“Quite so. Lucius doesn’t believe in showing his teeth. He prefers to hint at his claws and how long his reach is. Naturally, he made mention of how I’ve been missed at meetings.” Severus filled his plate and began to eat.

“Well at the risk of talking about politics at the table, I think you better make your announcement soon, Harry. Draco will be safer in the public eye. He can’t keep being holed up here forever. Although I suppose that means he’ll think he then has free reign to stop by here. Hmm,” Hermione sliced some garlic bread as she pondered the matter.

“I’ll write a speech and then we can go over it,” Draco sighed in resignation.

“I’ve made contact with my insider at the Prophet before I came here. An exacting reminder of Lucius Malfoy’s notorious past will be in the paper tomorrow. We just have to hope that he doesn’t manage to kill the story before it prints.” Severus filled his glass once more.

“We need to do this perfectly,” Harry mused.

“Nothing less than perfection itself,” Draco summarized.

“Well, we have just one chance to do this right. I suggest we strike while the iron is hot. If the announcement that Harry is running for Minister is done before a retraction is printed then the public very likely won’t notice it.”

Severus smirked. “They cannot retract the truth. The article is nothing more or less than his history in full detail alongside his platform so that the people can see the true purpose behind his running. Of course, the paper will then have to give equal time to Mr. Potter’s platform in the next issue.”

“Brilliant,” Hermione grinned.

Severus raised his glass in acknowledgement. Draco smirked while Harry waggled his eyebrows at his friend. He was going to have ammunition for teasing.