Chapter 1 – For love of your fellow man

It had been ten years, but even just having a view of his back; Draco Malfoy knew exactly who was standing in his father's study. His presence was noted by his father who gestured to him to enter. Their guest rose to his feet and turned.

His eyes were greener then he remembered and the locks of hair were softer and tamed. But it was without a doubt, Harry Potter. The question of the hour was why was he here? Draco nodded in Potter’s direction but his eyes met that of his father's across the large mahogany desk that was the focal point of the room in the West Wing of the manor.

The war was long over. Voldemort was dead and neither side had been the clear cut winner. Too many losses on each side saw to that. The government fell apart and war heroes were put in high positions. Working as a spy for the light had made his father one of the favored few. Having already held a spot in the Ministry as a school governor, he was elevated to Vice Minister. His election was expected to be a sure thing when the current aged Scrimgeour stepped down due to the curse that was currently robbing him of any youth he had left; a dark curse courtesy of Voldemort reaching out from beyond the grave.

The clearing of his father's throat brought his attention back to the present. Did Potter want a position in his father's cabinet, or some political favor? "Father, you sent for me?"

Draco silently bristled at being fetched like some day old copy of the Prophet in front of Potter. Yet he was raised never to show his irritation. At 28, his father still ruled his life and it annoyed him. He hoped that as Minister, Lucius Malfoy would finally be too busy to notice if Draco found a life of his own besides trying to emulate his father. It had been tiresome at 16, now it was grating.

Lucius smirked as if he could sense the irritation in his son. "I believe you remember Mr. Potter from your school days."

"Yes of course," Draco neither turned nor flicked his eyes toward their guest.

"It would appear the two of you have something in common…the love of your fellow man." Out of the corner of his eye he saw Potter flinch at the tone of voice used.

Draco held back a sigh by biting the inside of his cheek. His father never tired of being able to give him digs in regards to his sexual orientation and failure to provide the Malfoy family line with a suitable heir. It would seem the Potter line would die as well. He waited for the other shoe to drop, knowing his father was hoping to bait him. After a suitable pause Lucius continued.

"Mr. Potter is hoping to convince me that if I should I become Minister I should allow same sex unions." Lucius laughed.

Oddly enough, Potter came to stand beside him and Draco could feel the magic flowing off the powerful wizard, making his hair bristle on the back of his neck.

"I can see this has been a waste of time," Potter snapped. "Good day, Mr. Malfoy." With a sharp turn on his heel, Potter swept from the room, his dragon-hide cloak snapping behind him. Draco turned and closed the door on his father's laughter behind him.

Draco lengthened his strides and quickly caught up with Potter before he reached the main Apparition point in the foyer. Reaching out he grabbed Potter's elbow and then spun him around.

"Let go," Harry said in a clipped tone full of power and annoyance.

"I think we can help each other." Draco nearly whispered. For if the walls of Hogwarts had ears, the Malfoy ancestral home had generations of them. "Hogwarts Memorial Gardens in, say, ten minutes?"

"No," Harry replied in a pained voice. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small statue of a dragon. "…A port key to my house."

Draco nodded taking the statue from Harry's gloved hands. He noticed they too were dragon hide before Harry vanished with a powerful crack of power. After several side apparitions to throw off anyone his father might have following him, Draco finally used the dragon and appeared in the high brow wizarding section of Wales. In fact it seemed the castle was on its own island.

It was good to see that Harry was a man of some means. It could prove to be…handy.

He opened the sheltered gate at the end of a bridge and stood before the entranceway. Close up the castle looked more like a bricked home. Obviously Potter was using an illusion spell to keep away those who would be frightened by such an imposing structure.

White curtains fluttered in the spring breeze from the second story. Draco walked to the front door, admiring the manicured gardens where fairies danced about before knocking. Fountains flanked the entrance and Draco felt a sense of ease he'd not felt in –

"Well, come inside," Potter had flung open the door and turned all in one motion.

Draco followed closing the door behind him. The inside of the home was light and open. Chimes played in the spring breeze that the open windows afforded them. Draco did not lie when he openly admitted, "This is a beautiful home, Potter."

Stopping abruptly, Harry turned and looked at him as if assessing if he was telling a lie or not. Seeing only the truth he nodded. "Thank you."

A few steps more and they reached a kitchen that seemed to span the entire back width of the house before overlooking a pool and patio. "What would you like to drink?"

"Coffee would be fine," Draco replied taking in the modern kitchen warmed by yellow oak cabinetry.

"It isn't often I entertain anymore. Not since –" Harry broke off and his shoulders slumped. Draco took a hesitant step forward, unsure of what to do. Harry shook his head. "How about sitting out on the back patio?"

"Do you need any help?" Draco asked wondering what to do with himself.

"No," Harry gestured to the outdoor patio where Draco noticed a tea set had appeared, though it was much more casual than the silver one used at the Manor.

They sat opposite each other at the round café table admiring the view of the pool framed by flower beds of lavender and heather. Unable to stand the heavy silence between them Draco turned and asked the question that had been weighing on his mind. "Who was he?"

Pained green eyes met his then quickly looked away. "How did you know?"

"I lost Blaise in the war. We were lovers but never in love, at least not from my end, though I did care for him deeply. I suppose I notice the similarities. Was it Charlie Weasley?" Draco asked the last very softly. Harry nodded staring into his coffee. "What gave it away?"

"…The dragon-hide cloak and gloves. The manufacturing of both is highly restricted unless you work with them and can provide documentation of the skin being shed."

There was a long pause before Harry sat down his cup. "We wanted to be married. But he died and –" Harry's voice broke off.

Draco suddenly felt like an intruder. "If it’s a bad time-"

Harry gave a feeble laugh. "Sorry, I'm just so used to being alone." He seemed to collect himself before looking at Draco. "Why did you want to talk to me?"