Chapter 6


Dr. Zakawaka had been true to his word. It was a rough week for the couple. Shuichi was making some head way in physical therapy, but the psychological was another story. He had gotten as bad as not remembering two days ago. So here Eiri sat, once more hoping that Shuichi would do well with the psychologist.

The psychologist opened the door and allowed Eiri to come in to join them. She was a petite woman who reminded Eiri of his own psychiatrist, which he used to see on every Friday. Oddly, the similarity put him more at ease. Taking a seat next to Shuichi, he intertwined his hand with that of his lover, and giving him a wink.

“I’m making the recommendation that Shuichi can go home now. I realize he can’t walk to the end of the hallway yet, but I think at this juncture it’s more important that he be in familiar surroundings. I firmly believe he will remember the rest if he’s home.”

“Good, I’m tired of living in a hotel,” Yuki smirked. Shuichi smiled reading in between the lines that his lover would be glad when they could sleep together again. Thanking the doctor, Yuki wheeled Shuichi down the hall to physical therapy, giving the nurse a break. Yuki left Shuichi off at Physical therapy then went to find Dr. Zakawaka.

It took longer to find the doctor than he thought it would, but at last he managed thanks to some friendly nurses that he may have flirted with just a bit to get his information. He hoped Shuichi wouldn’t find out.

Dr. Zakawaka was being rather stubborn though. He did say that when he could at least see Shuichi walk on his own that he would dismiss him. Yuki wondered if murder was legal in any parts of Japan. He understood the doctor wanted to see his patient being independent, but he wasn’t the one who was repeating things to Shuichi day after day before his parents came to see him.

It was with a great deal of despair that he went back to Physical Therapy. From within the doors he could easily hear Shuichi’s sister cheering him on. Yuki wondered what the hell was going on inside. The sight that greeted his eyes as he opened the door, made his heart hit his throat. Shuichi was propped up between two parallel bars on top of a gym mat. He was struggling with his weak arms and even weaker legs to walk.

Their eyes met and Yuki wasn’t sure he could keep the pity out of them. Shuichi looked to be in so much pain. Sweat was beading down his brow. Like moth drawn to the flame Eiri soon found himself at the opposite end of the bars from Shuichi’s sister, cheering him on too.

“Come on Shuichi you can do it!” Eiri yelled.

“Go Shu! Go Shu!” came the yell from the other end of the bars.

Dr. Zakawaka frowned. He didn’t like noise in the hospital and there seemed to be a great deal of it coming from Physical Therapy. After signing off on his rounds, he handed the chart to a nearby nurse then went to go see what was going on. He opened the doors to see Shuichi take the last two steps into Eiri Yuki’s arms.

The romance novelist had tears streaming down his face as he held Shuichi in his arms. Shuichi was laughing as they fell to the floor, in a tangled heap. Miss Shindou was clapping and jumping with happiness, totally oblivious to the rather passionate kiss her brother was now receiving. Dr. Zakawaka thought about offering his congratulations too, but instead closed the door, believing it to be too intimate a moment to interrupt. Instead, he went home with the hope Mr. Shindou would indeed be heading home soon too.

Eiri Yuki had to go home for a few days, so he could meet with his editors. There was simply no more putting them off. His publishers wanted him to put out another book while the sympathy for Shuichi was so high, but Yuki objected to even being away from Shuichi for this long. They agreed to a series of short stories as a way to compromise. Reluctantly and unhappily Eiri agreed.

When he returned to the hospital he wondered where the Shindou family was. They were not at the hotel, nor in Shuichi’s room. Finally, he managed to track down a nurse and found out that Shuichi was once more in the Physical Therapy room. Eiri made his way there, becoming more anxious along the way thinking that something had gone wrong. He hastened through the hallways to get there faster.

Eiri threw open the door and stood in shock unable to move for a moment, or even comprehend. Shuichi was standing on his own, his wheelchair behind him. He was not at the parallel bars, but taking steps on his own. Dr. Zakawaka and the Shindou family stood apparently holding their collective breaths as Shuichi took another step.

Violet eyes locked on to his own. “Yuki! You’re back!”

Eiri Yuki held out his arms. “Come here koi.”

Shuichi beamed and took the few steps that were between them. When he walked into Eiri’s embrace, his lover lifted him off the floor and swung him around. “SHUICHI!”

“Aishiteru Yuki.”

“Aishiteru Shuichi.” The lovers whispered then kissed, mindless of everyone behind them cheering and hugging happily. Dr. Zakawaka slipped out of the room; he had a patient to dismiss.

The Shindou family soon smothered the two men in an embrace. Shuichi looked up at his lover and suddenly had a vision of seeing him across an audience. He was on stage but could see Yuki standing in the middle watching him perform, with that small smile on his face.

“Shuichi? What is it what’s wrong?” Eiri asked in a rush seeing Shuichi freeze up. His gaze was as if he was a million miles away.

“I’ll get the doctor,” his mother said about to dash out the door when Shuichi grabbed her arm to stop her. They all looked at him curiously.

Shuichi looked at his lover and smiled. “I remember being on stage singing and you were there watching and smiling at me.”

“You remember singing?” Hiro asked coming strolling into the room. “Well it’s about time!”

“HIRO!” Shuichi yelled and was handed off from Yuki to Hiro for a big hug.

“What’s the name of our band? Where have we toured? Do we have a lot of CD’s out?” Shuichi asked in a rush.

Hiro looked at Shuichi’s family in concern. “Man, you don’t remember any of it, do you?”

“He’s remembering more than ever before,” Yuki said defensively. “You have no idea!”

Hiro scratched his head. “I suppose I deserve that.” He said looking at how worn out everyone seemed to be. “I’m sorry I wasn’t here Shuichi they had us working our tails off in the studio. Will you be coming back soon?”

“Actually he just has to sign on the dotted line to be released.” The doctor had returned handing a clipboard and pen to Shuichi and everyone watched with relief.