Chapter 5

Shuichi had been awake for some time and was bored. He began to flip through the television channels when he noticed a familiar looking man. Setting the remote aside he watched curiously to see what the head of N-G records was doing on TV.

The metro sexual blond stood in front of a podium and gave a warm smile. The reporters quieted down to hear what he had to say. Tohma waited until they were seated before he began.

“Hello members of the press, fans and friends. I will make this brief. Shindou Shuichi is now awake. His status has been upgraded but he has a long road to haul until he is fully recovered. He will be going through physical therapy because of the length of time he has been abed. We expect a full recovery. He is very grateful to his fans for the unswerving devotion and numerous gifts, cards and prayer cards he received. There is, however, no need to gather around to wait. We don’t want Shindou san to be pushing himself unduly for his fans. Bad Luck will be back in action before you know it. Arigatou!”

The reporters jumped up clamoring to try to get Tohma to answer a question. But he merely smiled and waved at them. He quickly exited the room and the conference was ended. Shuichi shut off the TV.

Putting his arms around his pillow, he curled up around it. According to Seguchi there were fans concerned about him. What was going on? Why couldn’t he remember? What was “Bad Luck”? Hadn’t Mikai said he had to get dressed for his fans? Was he supposed to be at that press conference? Hadn’t Eiri said something about a band too?

Eiri walked in to see Shuichi, glad to see he was awake. “Hey, how do you feel squirt?”

Shuichi’s lower lip trembled and his eyes watered. Eiri knew the signs, he was about to have a very wet shirt. “Who am I?” Shuichi asked then began to bawl.

With a sigh Eiri lowered himself to the side of the bed and gathered Shuichi into his arms. “Who do you think you are?”

“Please Yuki how did I get here?” Shuichi wailed in between sobs.

Eiri had thought he was scared before, but he was more scared now. It seemed that Shuichi was forgetting more and more. “You were in a bus accident.”

“Was I the only one hurt?” Shuichi asked with concern.

“There were some bruises, cuts and scratches, but you were hurt the worst.” Eiri kissed his forehead. “Hiro was with you. I just talked with him on the phone. He’s going to come visit you.”

Shuichi nodded, but Eiri knew something else was wrong. “Yuki, I’m scared. Something is really wrong. Everyone else can see it, but I can’t. You’re afraid to tell me aren’t you? But there’s something more, I just know it. Seguchi Tohma just made a press statement about ME! Who am I?”

Grabbing the front of his shirt Shuichi began to shake Yuki. “WHO AM I? WHY WON’T ANYONE TELL ME? WHY CAN’T I REMEMBER?”

Dr. Zakawaka walked in hurriedly, “Now, now this is a hospital Mr. Shindou!”

“Doctor, Shuichi is just upset that he can’t remember everything,” Eiri explained.

“Yes, yes, that’s why I’m here. I’d like to talk to you Mr. Shindou.”

“I want Yuki to hear it too,” Shuichi pleaded hearing the dismissal in the doctor’s voice.

The doctor nodded, and then clutched his clipboard to his chest. “Do you remember how we ran those tests Mr. Shindou?”

“Yes.” Shuichi answered nervously and Eiri put his arm around him.

Taking a deep breath the doctor plunged forward. “You suffered a severe head trauma. And unless I’m wrong, you were under a great deal of stress before hand?” He looked to Eiri who nodded in affirmation.

“Well, your short-term memory loss will go away. You’re having occasional swelling on a certain part of your brain that controls memories. I may get worse before it gets better. But then I firmly believe the new medicine I’ve prescribed will cure that.”

“And if it doesn’t?” Eiri asked nervously.

“Then we will have to operate to remove the pressure. But as I said I don’t think it will come to that.”

“You’ll forgive me doctor, but I will always feel concerned when people tell me they don’t think and have my lover’s life in their hands.” Eiri snapped.

Shuichi put a hand to his cheek. “You said it will get worse. How much worse will my memory get and what about the big memory gap?”

“It may get as bad as not remembering the previous day.” Shuichi began to tremble and Eiri pulled him into his arms. The doctor reached forward and patted his arm. “I said it might. Then again it may not.”

“What about the big gap?” Eiri reiterated hearing the hitch in his own voice.

“I suggest therapy,” the doctor said quietly.

“But I’m already signed up for physical therapy!” Shuichi interrupted.

“We have an excellent psychologist on staff.” Shuichi paled and Eiri sighed. He knew how hard that could be.

“Why?” Eiri asked.

Looking at Shuichi the doctor sat down. “It is my belief that due to the enormous amount of stress being in the music industry has put on you personally that your mind has decided to delete it all, up to and including the accident.”
“Then how can he remember me and why did he remember in the start?”

“Judging by how close you two are I’d say that there are more good memories between the tow of you than bad. As for why he remembered in the beginning, perhaps it was progressive. A psychiatrist would be better qualified to make that call.”

Eiri could feel his lover was about to lose it but he had one more question. “When can we get out of here?” Shuichi a bit felt better at hearing ‘we’.

“Once I see him walk down the hall, then I’ll sign the release forms,” Dr. Zakawaka answered with a smile. He rose up, left the room and quietly closed the door.