Chapter 3

“Hey, how do you feel?” Eiri asked softly, sitting beside Shuichi on the bed, carefully.

“Tired, what happened?” Shuichi’s voice sounded scratchy and dry, so Eiri handed him the water that was at his bedside table.

“Your tour bus got hit by a truck, weeks ago. You’ve been here ever since.”

“WEEKS!” Shuichi yelled. “But the band, the tour…”

“The band has been laying down tracks waiting for you to get better. Your fans have been sending you flowers, gifts and prayer cards. They’ll be happy to see you are better. I…I know I am.”

Shuichi yawned. “You missed me?”

“Of course I did. I’ve been here everyday.” Shuichi smiled at this, yawned and almost fell back to sleep.

The door swung open and a cheerful young man stuck his head inside. “Mr. Shindou, I hear you’re awake. I’m your physical therapist, Dr. Tanaka. I need to do a few tests on you, but, oh, I see you have company.”

“It’s okay. I’d like to see how he does. But he’s very sleepy,” Eiri replied.

“Oh well, that’s understandable. This won’t take long,” Eiri and the therapist helped Shuichi sit up a bit better, then the therapist handed Shuichi a round ball. “Please squeeze this for me.” The man nodded and made a notation on his clipboard. Shuichi tried with the other hand with the same results. The man seemed pleased.

“Are you awake enough to try to stand?” Shuichi nodded. Eiri put Shuichi’s arm around him mirroring the doctor’s actions. With help Shuichi could stand but without it he went down like a ton of bricks. Eiri scooped him off the floor and laid the shaken singer back in bed.

Dr. Tanaka smiled. “Well, it looks like we will be spending more time together. I want you to have physical therapy 3 times a day, every day. Then after you are released you will have to continue to see me every day for a few weeks and you will have exercises to do at home. Will someone be there to assist you with them?”

“I will,” Eiri put in quickly.

“Excellent. We will have you walking again in no time. Your muscles have gotten weak from being in bed so long. I’m sure you’ll be dancing across that stage again in no time.” The young doctor smiled reassuringly at Shuichi.

Eiri was surprised to find he was feeling rather jealous about it. He shook it off mentally.

“Sensei, when can I go home?” Shuichi asked hopefully.

“A week or two I’d imagine. It depends on how you do in therapy and what your doctor has to say. Now, if you’ll excuse me I better go find him right now.” With a small bow the doctor left the two men alone. Eiri could hear the Shindou family accosting him in the hall, but he turned his attention back to Shuichi.

“I don’t want to be a bother Yuki. I can stay with my parents until I’m better.” Shuichi looked ready to cry.

Eiri cupped his face in his hands. “If I need their help I can call them. You should be home, with me.” Shuichi threw himself into his lover’s arms and cried happily. Eiri made sure Shuichi didn’t see the smile on his face. To cover up his sappiness he added,” Besides if you don’t come home that numbskull brother of mine might get the bright idea to move in to be closer to Ryuichi.” From within his arms Shuichi continued to smile, knowing it was a cover up.

There was another knock at the door and a very harried looking woman came in and bowed deeply, flushing at having two celebrities in the room. “Excuse me, but there are many of your fans that have been in our lobby and parking lot for many weeks now. Since you are awake could you please make an appearance so they will go away?”

Eiri chuckled. “It might make the crowds worse.”

The woman looked ready to faint, which wasn’t saying much since she looked afraid of her own shadow to begin with. Shuichi looked at the petite woman and felt instantly sorry for what he’d evidently put the hospital through. “Sure, just set it up.”

“You’re pushing yourself. At least rest first,” Eiri said with a concerned snap in his voice. It only made Shuichi smile more.

“Okay, let me rest while you set it up for later,” Shuichi smiled at Eiri then at the petite frail looking woman.

“OH thank you!!” she bowed out of the room and scurried off.

“I better let you rest.” Eiri said leaning down to give Shuichi another kiss.

“Will you be here later?” Shuichi asked grabbing weakly at Eiri’s jacket.

“Yes, I have a hotel right next to the hospital.”

Shuichi gasped. “You’ve been staying at a hotel for weeks? But, that’s so expensive!”

“Tohma picked up the bill for your family and me to stay there. You’re worth millions, remember?”

“Millions of what?” Shuichi asked in apparent confusion.

“Dollars, yen, whatever, baka,” Eiri answered wondering if his lover was having a little joke at his expense.

“Why?” Shuichi asked.

“What do you mean ‘why’? Because of your record sales.”

“What record sales?” Shuichi yawned. Eiri was getting alarmed.

“Are you okay?” Eiri asked.

“I think so, I just feel tired,” Shuichi replied.

Eiri stroked his hair,” Get some rest, I’ll be here when you wake up.”

Shuichi nodded, wiggled into his blanket and quickly fell asleep. Eiri kissed his forehead then shot out of the room to find the doctor. The Shindou family upon seeing his face was instantly alarmed. Mr. Shindou hugged his family before quickly following him. He arrived only a minute after Eiri, so he caught the conversation already underway.

“…but I’m telling you something is wrong! It was like he forgot who he was, that he was a famous singer! He was fine for a few minutes then suddenly he couldn’t remember!” Eiri felt Mr. Shindou’s beefy hand when it touched his shoulder. He looked over and nodded in recognition.

Both men turned to Dr. Zakawa in concern. The doctor was frowning. “I’ll order some more tests to be run. It could be from the swelling he had, that there’s some short term memory loss. I really don’t want to make any assumptions until the test are run, excuse me.”

Eiri lowered his head then turned to Mr. Shindou. “I’m sorry I didn’t stop to tell you…”

Mr. Shindou raised his hand. “There is nothing to apologize for; you did the right thing by looking out for Shuichi first.”

Eiri gave a small nod of gratitude. Mr. Shindou tilted his head slightly. “You love him.”

It was not a question, but Eiri nodded again anyway, “Hai.”

“Good, I did not want to bloody my sword,” Mr. Shindou replied. Eiri looked at him with alarm. Mr. Shindou gestured that they should walk back, and all the way Eiri wondered if the old man had been serious or not.