Freefall Ch. 8

"There will be none of that in my classroom," Severus said sharply. To Harry, it was like a bucket of ice water, and he jumped. Lucius merely chuckled and pulled away. Severus glared at him reprovingly.

Lucius smoothed back his hair while Harry's anger was gone, replaced by complete fear, embarrassment and confusion.

What the hell just happened? Wasn't I mad at him? How did he do that? Did he just come on to me? Holy shit!

Severus raised a haughty eyebrow in his direction and Harry sat down in his regular seat without thinking. The Potion Master hid his laugh behind a cough. "Well, then. I have the potion right here. I need you to each drink a bit of it, then allow me to add a few drops of blood to your bowl. At that point, it will turn as clear as glass and reveal your soul mate." Severus said all this with disdain, as if this was some potion brewed by small children and the whole creation of it was far beneath his station. For some reason, Lucius threw him a withering glance, which made the Potions Master smirk. Harry shrugged it off as an inside joke of some sorts.

Reaching out, he picked up one of the vials of pink fluid. Eyeing it nervously, he closed his eyes and drank it all. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Lucius do the same. Severus first cut his hand and squeezed out three drops of blood into the brass basin. He repeated the process with Lucius and a clean knife. Oddly enough he then left the room.

Lucius took Harry's cut hand and pointed his wand at it. Harry jerked, but then calmed, as Lucius merely chuckled before healing the cut perfectly. He repeated the spell on his own. "Oh, um, thanks." Harry muttered, feeling stupid.

A puff of red smoke spewed forth, forming a heart from each bowl and as it cleared, Harry sighed. In his bowl was a perfect reflection of Lucius, and in the elder Malfoy's bowl there was a picture of Harry. Suddenly, a picture of the twins having sex with other boys flashed through Harry's mind. Fear gripped him and he ran from the room to the nearest men's bathroom.

Behind him, Severus snickered returning to the room. "It looks like you've got your work cut out for you Lucius. But, if I know you at all you'll enjoy the chase. Just don't take too long. Draco is waiting."

Lucius smirked even as he strode purposefully out of the room. "Actually, I'll start with Draco. I should let our Mr. Potter have a head start." His laugh echoed after him.


Harry braced himself on either side of the sink. His face was wet from splashing it with cold water. He looked in the mirror with no small amount of panic. "Oh god. What am I supposed to do now? Mr. Malfoy is responsible for the death of my godfather! How can we be soul mates? But, if I don't bond with him, then Draco's going to be stuck in the infirmary his entire life, or worse, he could die and it would be all my fault! For Merlin's sake, I don't even know if I'm gay or not!"

Lucius Malfoy?

Harry looked about in confusion.

It's me, the mirror dear. Are you talking about Lucius Malfoy? He used to go to school here. I remember him well. So, you have to bond with him or his son is in pain forever. Does that about sum it up?

Harry looked right then left, unable to believe he was talking to a mirror. "Uh, yeah, it does actually."

Well, dear, it seems to me that you don't have much of a choice in the matter. Is there any chance that when he participated in Death Eater activities he was doing it in order to protect his family?

"Uh." Harry had never thought about it that way. But, he supposed if Lucius had not done what was expected of him, he would have been killed. As it was, Narcissa had died. Plus, the whole mess that faced them all now. He frowned. "How come you call him Tom Riddle?"

Oh please, I watched that boy go through puberty. He had a wretched case of acne. Although, he did come out of it with a lovely complexion, thanks to my advice.

Harry shook his head. This was crazy, but then again, everyone already thought he was, so what difference did it make? "So, what do you suggest?"

Besides a good hairstylist? Hmm. Well, try to look at the good points. Lucius Malfoy is rich, good looking…scratch that…he's sex-on-legs and single! He's fairly powerful, influential and has that Manor in Wiltshire, plus loads of properties all over the world. Oh, he's rather possessive, too. But, I know some wizards like that in a man.

Harry blushed vividly.

And don't worry about whether or not you're gay. They say the only difference between a straight man and a gay man is one kiss.

Harry's mouth dropped open.

If you do that down on your knees, he'll be putty in your hands, dear, or at least he will be when you're done, if you get my drift.

Horrified and embarrassed beyond words, Harry ran from the bathroom, determined to never talk to a mirror again and to use a darkness spell on any he ever saw in a bathroom.

Harry was running down the hall so quickly, he literally bounced off of Hagrid coming around a corner. Luckily, Hagrid caught him with one hand. "Oh, Harry! Running from that old Lucius, eh? I can't say as I blame you. If it were me, I'd be running, too."

Blinking past the shock of running into Hagrid and pushing what the cheeky mirror had said out of his mind, or at least to back of it, Harry smiled. "Merlin, Hagrid! Am I glad to see you! What am I supposed to do?"

Hagrid sighed. "Don't know as I'm the right person you aught to be asking 'Arry. Maybe you'd be better off asking Hermione. I'm sure she's got this all figured out, eh?"

"She thinks Ron and I aren't being very mature in our handling of the matter, Hagrid! Hermione says I have no choice. Everyone keeps telling me that. I don't know what to do!"

"Easy there, Harry. Try to calm down. I heard what happened in the Great Hall." He looked at Harry seriously, his large eyebrows furrowing together.

Harry looked down at the floor, clenching his hands into fists. "I'm just so sick of it all, Hagrid. There never seems to be a way out, or away, from it all."

"Hmm. Well, as much as I can't stand that Lucius for what he tried to do Buckbeak and Dumbledore, if he's your soul mate, I don't know what you can do. But, I can tell you this. He'd definitely be your way to get away from it all. Protects what's his, he does. Much as I hate to admit it. You'd probably be whisked away to that Manor of his every chance he got. That is, if you don't kill each other first." Hagrid chuckled at the last.

Harry blushed. "I don't think he has that in mind, Hagrid."

"Oh. OH!" Hagrid's eyes went wide. "Well, that puts a whole different spin on it. I suppose this means you really are soul mates, then?"

Harry nodded. Looking around nervously, Harry whispered. "I think he tried to …to kiss me earlier."

Hagrid blinked, blushed and looked away. "Err, maybe you should talk to Fred and George about this?"

"What, did everyone know about those two except me?" Harry asked in disbelief.

"You mean you didn’t?" Hagrid laughed, shook his head, and walked away.