Freefall: Ch. 4

In retrospect, Harry realized that to ask that was a really, really stupid thing to do. Never ask if your day can get any worse, when it's already in freefall. Besides, this was the Malfoy family he was about to become permanently involved with! He'd have to be out of his mind not to realize it was only going to get worse.

He'd just been starting to gain some balance back, being left alone in the quiet office, when Lucius Malfoy arrived, looking madder than Harry had ever remembered seeing him. The blond's hair seemed to be flying about in some sort of invisible wind. Harry supposed Mr. Malfoy's magic might be leaking out because of his temper. And, to add insult to injury, Snape was with him.

Taking a steadying breath, Harry managed to say, "Mr. Malfoy, Professor Snape."

Professor Snape realized it was his attempt at being polite and civilized, if the sudden tilt to one eyebrow was any indication. Nevertheless, it seemed to be just the opening Mr. Malfoy needed to go for the jugular, not seeing the diplomacy in it at all.

"HOW DARE YOU PULL MY SON AND ME INTO ONE OF YOUR PERSONAL FIASCOS?!" Mr. Malfoy raged, his teeth snapped angrily.

Harry counted to ten in effort not to scream back. "It isn't my idea of a good time either, Mr. Malfoy." He winced even as he said it, realizing belatedly that it was not the right thing to say, and his counting had been an exercise in futility.

"DO YOU THINK IT IS MINE!? I HAVE TO DEAL WITH…WITH…YOU ON A FULL-TIME BASIS! THE MERE THOUGHT SICKENS ME!"

"You're not alone on that count, Lucius, but yelling at Mr. Potter isn't going to help, no matter how much I'm enjoying it," Severus commented with some amusement.

Harry bit the inside of his cheek to stop himself from saying what was on his mind, knowing it would only make matters worse. Lucius snarled, and looked away from them both a moment, running a gloved hand over his hair in an effort to smooth it. He sat down in the chair furthest from Harry and turned a blazing hot angry glare on him instead of speaking.

Severus went around and sat behind the desk, his robe snapping out behind him. "Now then, we need to come to grips with the situation at hand, in case Professor Trelawney was actually correct. I suggest the use of a soul mates potion immediately. It will take me less than an hour to brew."

"And WHAT exactly am I supposed to do, in the meantime!? You've seen Draco. And if we don't recognize the curse that …that –" Severus raised a hand to cut Lucius off before he exploded once more.

"This won't be easy on anyone. But, if she's correct," he paused to roll his eyes, "then I suggest you two try to negotiate a way to work through this. After all, you'll need to have your stories straight before you have to convince Draco, that is, once again, if her prediction holds true." Severus frowned.

"I can't believe this!" Lucius snapped, crossing his legs and wrapped his cloak about him angrily. All the while, fingering his cane, as if figuring out the best way to hex Harry with the wand that was held within it.

"Welcome to my life," Harry muttered unable to stop himself.

"Why, you insufferable, self-centered brat!" Lucius yelled. "My only son and child could be dying in there while you sit in here, unable to think of anyone but yourself. Do you ever think about anyone else's life but your own!?"

Harry jumped to his feet. "I HAVE SPENT MY WHOLE BLOODY LIFE BEING MANIPULATED BY OTHERS TO ACT AS THEIR HOUSE ELF OR TO KILL THE GOD DAMN DARK LORD THAT YOU SERVED AND BROUGHT TO POWER! HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF NOT CARING ABOUT OTHERS?"

There was a loud crack, like of thunder, and Harry suddenly found himself in his dorm room. "Oh shit!" Harry groaned loudly. He instantly realized he'd accidentally let his magic get away from him, and it had apparated him to his room, much like it had apparated him to a school roof when he was younger and being chased by Dudley's gang. With a loud sigh, he began to march back to the Headmasters office, knowing if he didn't return he'd be in big trouble with Snape.

But, halfway there his steps faltered, and he found himself walking toward the Infirmary. He wasn’t sure why. It wasn't like he cared about Malfoy! Did he need to see it to believe it? Harry wasn't sure, but he kept walking there anyway.

When he passed through the doors to the Infirmary, what he saw was certainly not what he expected. A large number of students from Slytherin house were huddled around Malfoy's bed, not just Crabbe and Goyle. Just as Harry had thought maybe this wasn't the brightest idea he'd ever had, they all seemed to look in his direction at once.

Oh crap. This day just gets worse and worse…just had to tempt the Fates earlier didn't you?

Harry could have sworn he had only blinked, but he soon found himself pinned to the wall and being choked by a very upset looking Gregory Goyle. "What did you do to Draco, Potter!?"

"I …didn't…do …anything," he managed to gasp out while trying to pull away the beefy hands that were cutting off his oxygen supply.

"Right. Draco just happens to be complaining about how it’s your fault that his mother is dead when that old bat sprouts off another prediction and he falls over!?" Pansy shouted from somewhere on his right side. It was hard to tell. Harry was starting to see spots in front of his eyes.

"For the sake of Salazar, let him down, Greg." Harry dropped to his knees, gasping for air. When he looked up, he was surprised to see Blaise Zabini scowling at him. "If Potter was at fault, then Draco’s dad or Snape would have been able to figure out what was wrong with him, easily. Am I the only one, besides Draco, that can think around here?"

Harry slowly rose to his feet, but put his hand in his pocket, fingering his wand. He would not be caught unprepared twice. "I didn't know anything about the stupid prophesy until I heard it in the Great Hall. It's not like I want to be stuck with Mr. Malfoy as my…" Harry felt the world spin around him. "Oh, god. Husband?"

The Slytherin's looked at each other, then back at Harry, with resignation. "You call us stupid, Blaise? He hasn't even put it all together yet!" Pansy shook her finger at Harry, while looking at Blaise in disbelief.

"Yeah," several of the Slytherin's chimed in.

"Look, Potter, why are you here?" Blaise asked, clearly at the end of his patience with Harry's presence.

"I …I don't really know," Harry looked down, and balled his robes up in his hands from where they were stuck in his pockets. "Maybe I just needed to see for myself?"

Blaise made a face at this, seemingly picking something out of one of his teeth with his tongue before moving aside. "There he is, Potter, happy now?"

Harry looked nervously at the group, which was parting reluctantly aside to let him get a good look at the Ice Prince of Slytherin. Draco’s face was pale, but his breath was even. As Harry felt the sick feelings of doom settle in his stomach, that some how this was entirely his fault, Draco's eyes fluttered opened, freezing him in place.