Freefall: Chapter 3

The Potion Master's head snapped to meet Harry's eyes with a reproachful glare. "That sort of attitude will not help matters."

"Sorry, Professor, but, honestly, do you really believe Professor Trelawney's prediction?" Harry asked doubtfully.

Surely, if there was one skeptic left in the entire school in regards to Trelawney's Third Eye, it would have to be the man in front of him. Severus took his time answering, weighing each word carefully.

"What I do, or do not, believe is not the matter at hand, Mr. Potter. The fact of the matter is that one of my students is in the Infirmary at this very moment with something very close to what was described by the prediction. I will do all I can to see Mr. Malfoy is returned to good health and will make sure that, if need be, you will as well. Do I make myself clear?"

Harry cast his eyes to the floor, noticing as he did so that the floor needed to be swept. "Yes, sir."

There's no use fighting this one, Harry old boy. You're doomed – again. Why even bother? Each year, you're damned if you do show up for school, and damned if you don't. What's that saying? You're not paranoid if they really are out to get you? Yes, that's it. Maybe I could get it tattooed on my forehead.

"Perhaps you should stay here and await the arrival of Lucius." McGonagall looked at Harry with a bit of pity mixed in with resignation. "I don't think he'd appreciate having to track you down after visiting his son."

"Canceling classes may be in order," Severus said swiftly, "after all, the rumor mill will be too busy chattering to pay any attention in classes."

"Excellent suggestion, Severus, would you mind telling the students?" Minerva gave a small smile. Much to Harry's surprise, Snape gave a respectful nod before sweeping out of the room.

Once he left, Minerva turned her attention back to Harry. She waved her wand at a nearby table and a tea set appeared. "Try to get comfortable, Harry. I hope that you use this time wisely to prepare for what may lie ahead of you. When he arrives, I'll send him up to see you. I believe you may wish to speak privately. If I see Miss Granger or Mr. Weasley, I'll send them up for moral support."

Harry nodded glumly. Minerva left the room, and Harry let out a slew of expletives. Apparently, Ron and Hermione had been waiting just outside the door, for they were suddenly there, mere heartbeats later.

"Harry! What's going on?" Hermione exclaimed.

"Please tell me that it's not as hopeless as it looks," Ron pleaded, looking green around the collar.

Hermione shot him a look before turning back to Harry and sitting by him. "What did McGonagall say?"

"She and Snape seem to think I should just get ready to accept my fate." Harry closed his eyes and put his head in his hands, missing the look that his friends shot each other.

"Maybe everyone just needs a little time. I'm sure this is just some coincidence." Hermione squeezed Harry's shoulder comfortingly.

"But Hermione, what if it’s not? Lucius Malfoy is an evil git! Everyone knows that!" Ron hissed.

"Even Mr. Malfoy must deserve a little respect," Hermione tried to argue but no one was buying into it.

"He tried to kill me!" Harry yelped, looking up.

"That was a long time ago," Hermione shrugged.

"Bloody hell, whose side are you on?" Ron glared at her, while Harry shook his head in disbelief at Hermione, and agreement with Ron.

"I'm simply saying we all need to calm down and view this from all sides. This is serious. If Harry can try to look at it objectively, maybe we can find a way out of this."

"Whew, you had me worried there," Harry sighed with relief.

Hermione frowned. "I'm sorry. It's all so sudden and confusing!" She wrung her hands.

"How do you think I feel?" Harry yelled.

"Hermione's right, Harry, you need to calm down." Ron patted him on the shoulder. "I don't see how they can force you to…to" He looked green again and turned to Hermione for help. She rolled her eyes.

"Things will work out, Harry. I'm sure we can figure out what Malfoy's been cursed with. Between Professor Snape and Mr. Malfoy, they probably know most of the curses Voldemort used." Hermione tried to smile but she was still wringing her hands together, a sure sign she was worried.

"Snape doesn't know what it is. But, you're right. Maybe Mr. Malfoy can figure it out. I'm sure he doesn’t want to be stuck with me anymore than I want to be …no, I can't think about it. Maybe there was a way out in the prediction. How did it go?"

Ron frowned. "There was something about 'in the liquid they will see'. But that sounded more like it was going to be more proof that you had to, err –"

"Okay, so that's no good. I feel so helpless!" Hermione stomped her foot, angrily. "There has to be some way out of this! Maybe, if I go to the library, I could find –"

"Right, I think I saw that coming," Harry rolled his eyes.

Hermione gave him a light swat upside the back of his head. Harry rubbed it, with a chuckle. "Go ahead, Hermione. If anyone can find this in the library you can. Ron, why don't you see if you can contact Bill? Maybe it's an old curse?"

"Right!" Ron looked pleased at having something to do. Harry watched them go with some relief. At least, he could have some hope that they might find something out. But, he also needed to get them out of there. Lucius Malfoy was probably not going to arrive in a very good mood. Having to deal with the man's reaction to finding the two of them was not fuel he needed to add to the fire.

Harry looked up at the picture of Dumbledore that now hung nearest the Headmistress' desk. "Do you have any idea what curse this might be?"

"No, I'm quite sorry to say that I do not. But have heart, Harry. You've faced greater obstacles than this, and survived it." Dumbledore offered.

Rubbing his hands over his face, Harry tried to get a grip on his nerves. "Did you hear the prediction? It said that Mr. Malfoy and I need to bond. What is that?"

"I'm afraid to say it's much like a muggle marriage, Harry. You would be, in a sense, bound to him for the rest of your life, with all respect and privileges that you'd enjoy as a spouse." Dumbledore shook his head. "Unlike the muggle marriage ritual, however, you would not be able to dissolve it."

Harry wondered if the day could get any worse.