Chapter 2

In retrospect, Harry should have known that would be too easy. Of course, he never could have foreseen what a real pain in the ass Draco would become. It all happened a few days later, when thankfully the parties in Gryffindor were finally coming to an end. Very possibly, it might have had something to do with Ron getting so plastered he ran down the halls naked, proclaiming to be a god of love.

Nevertheless, it had seemed like a normal day. Classes were scheduled, Snape was sneering, Malfoy was glaring, yes, all-in-all it looked to be a normal day. That's when it happened. Right between one mouthful of waffles and another, Harry turned to see what everyone had gone dead silent about.

Professor Trelawney had shot to her feet. Harry closed his eyes and braced himself for what the prediction would be this time. It was not what he'd expected.

In order to keep peace and renewal in our land
The Chosen of Light and Dark must bond hand in hand
Unknown to them, they are mates of the soul
Though they have always been opposite of goal

The Chosen of Light still carries his scar inside, and has had accolades too many to bestow,
The Chosen of Dark was at the right hand of his foe,
Though he is now buried far below

The Chosen of the Light has hair of dark
And from his mouth always a kindly remark
The Chosen of the Dark has hair of light,
no kind words slip past his mouth pressed tight
Yet, in bonding to each other they will find their love is right.
Their love is their new destiny
In the liquid they shall see

In the spawn of the Dark One
The hatred there will cause his life to be undone
Unless the love of the two can turn the son
The illness has begun
Thanks to a curse left by the leader of the Dark
The very last reminder of his Mark

Harry began to choke on his food while across the hall Draco Malfoy collapsed, a painful scream from his throat echoing around the Great Hall. Chaos ensued as the Hall erupted with screams, cries, laughter, whispers and concern. Snape rushed over to his favorite student, picked him up, and rushed from the room, followed by several Slytherins. His lips looked blue from where Harry sat and his pale face almost translucent. Harry felt a tremor of fear move through him as he sat in disbelief, watching, as if in a movie, seeing the goings-on around him.

Headmistress McGonagall had to shoot off a series of loud explosions from her wand before the Great Hall settled down. Harry managed to finally get past the wad of waffle in his throat. His mind was spinning, lost in thought. It took Hermione nudging him to make him snap back to reality, such as it was.

"Mr. Potter," Headmistress McGonagall seemed to be calling to him irritably, as if she'd done so several times already. "Please follow me."

With an audible gulp, Harry rose shakily to his feet. He glanced down at his breakfast, realizing his appetite had definitely been shot. His housemates looked at him with concern and some awe. Once again, Harry felt he was the entertainment for the school. His feet moved robotically to follow the Headmistress up to her office. He could only hope that he would wake up from this really bad dream before he got there.

The gargoyle jumped aside to allow the Headmistress to pass and Harry followed hurriedly after. They rode the spiral staircase upwards in silence, each lost in their own thoughts. Upon reaching the top, McGonagall opened the door and went to sit behind her desk. Harry flopped down in the chair in front of her and stared down at his hands.

"Oh, Harry, dear, I hate to tell you this but it looks like this is another valid prediction. Although, one could hope that Mr. Malfoy's sudden collapse at the table was merely a coincidence, I fear the worst." She looked at him seriously before continuing.

"Surely you realize that the Chosen of the Dark is referring to none other than Lucius Malfoy!?" Minerva's voice was rising slightly with panic. Harry didn't blame her one bit. It seemed like an excellent time to panic. He certainly was, panicking, that is.

"Yes, Ma'am." Harry groaned. "Of course, it is. Who else could it be, but the father of my worst enemy? Sure and soul mates! Why didn't I think of that? It’s so obvious~!"

"Mr. Potter, sarcasm will not help us right now. Though, I understand perfectly why that might be your attitude. I need you to think very strongly as to your feelings for …for…" she gulped loudly, "Lucius Malfoy. If I know Severus at all, he's already informed the boy’s father of what has occurred here today."

Harry felt a very bad headache coming on. "I don't need to think on it. He hates me and I hate him. He tried to kill me in my second year! I know he's a Death Eater; I've seen him in Voldemort's circle! There was no reason for the Ministry to pardon him."

Minerva looked ill. "That was simply a matter of politics. Money is the grease of the political machine. It's not that I approve of such a relationship, given your ages and stations, not to even mention your political views. However, Mr. Malfoy's life may depend on your own. I'm so sorry, Harry, but if Professor Trelawney is correct, yet again…well, I'm simply saying you should prepare yourself, dear boy." Her voice rose almost hysterically at the end, and Harry knew the conversation was over. He could only hope he wouldn't be forced into this ridiculous situation against his will, like so many others he could count on his fingers.

Rising from his chair, he turned to go only to be stopped midway, by the entrance of Severus Snape. Harry fought back the urge to groan or roll his eyes. Snape gave him only a cursory glance before looking over his head as if he wasn't there. God, Harry hated being short.

"Mr. Malfoy's condition has been stabilized. He appears to be a victim of one of Voldemort's long-term, timed curses that he became so fascinated with before his death. Neither Poppy or I are certain of a cure." His eyes shot to Harry, and his upper lip curled. "Unless, of course, you consider the one Trelawney mentioned, and Draco spent half of his time, while I was in the infirmary, retching over the very idea."

"Oh, dear. I suppose there's nothing for it but to notify the poor boy's father!" Minerva exclaimed looking as if that was one of the things on the planet that she most dearly did not want to do.

"I already took it upon myself to contact Lucius. We can expect him shortly."

Harry rolled his eyes and muttered under his breath, "Oh, goodie."