Freefall Chapter 14

Harry walked slowly out of the room in a daze. He was married. Married to Lucius Malfoy, of all people. Yes, he was scared. Who wouldn’t be? But, oddly enough, part of him wished there had been more of a kiss at the end of the ceremony. He stared down at the ring on his hand. A warm hand touched his shoulder. He turned to see the warm smile of Remus Lupin.

“How are you, Harry?” He asked, with gentle concern lacing his voice.

“A bit, well, I’m not sure how to describe it.” Harry shrugged.

“You saved Draco’s life,” Remus reminded him. “I’m sure your parents would be proud of your sacrifice.”

“I suppose we should all head to the Infirmary and check on him,” Molly said, arriving with Hermione and Ron at her side.

“Yes, an excellent suggestion,” McGonagall said from their other side and together they walked there. Harry sighed deeply, falling into step. It hadn’t escaped his notice that no one had congratulated him.


When Lucius and Severus arrived by Draco’s bedside, they were pleased to see the color had already returned to his face; a face which was covered with a furious scowl as he beheld his father. “You’ve done it. You’ve really, really gone and done it haven’t you? Married Saint Potter.”

“Draco!” Severus snapped angrily. “Your father just saved your life, you ungrateful brat.”

Huffing, Draco looked away. “I suppose you expect me to say I’m grateful.” He crossed his arms over his chest.

“I expect it would be too much to hope for congratulations, so that would be a small compensation, yes,” Lucius acknowledged.

“Far be it for me to rain on your parade, but I’d like to check over my patient if you don’t mind.” For once, Draco looked gratefully up at the medi-witch who’d just saved him from offering gratitude for something he found so bitter to swallow.

Severus and Lucius walked a few steps away before stopping and looking back while Poppy conducted her tests on her patient.

“What will you do now?” Severus asked quietly, so as not to be overheard.

“I’ll need to make an announcement to the press and contact my solicitors.” Lucius replied.

“That wasn’t what, or rather whom, I was referring to and you know it.”

Lucius turned away from Severus and walked over to a window to gaze over the grounds. “I’ll need to speak to Harry. However, he needs to finish his education.”

“As an official couple, you could stay here and make sure your heir doesn’t kill your new spouse.” Severus commented wryly.

Before Lucius could answer, he was startled by a voice interrupting their private conversation. “What will happen now?” The blond turned to see Harry standing behind him, along with his ‘wedding party’.

“I suppose that would depend on what exactly the hex involved.” Madame Pomfrey broke in to the discussion.

“Ah, so what exactly do you propose?” Lucius asked her.

“I would request, Mr. Malfoy, that you stay here until we can tell the distance, or rather closeness, that you must maintain to ensure your son’s health. It might not be as simple as your commitment to each other. Surely, you understand the need for treading carefully at this point in time.” She replied.

“A wise precaution,” McGonagall stated clearly.

“He can stay with me,” Snape offered.

“No.” Harry said firmly. “For better or worse, we need to get used to each other. Besides, I’m not exactly going to be welcomed with open arms back in Gryffindor house after marrying Lucius Malfoy and saving Draco.”

“Harry!” Hermione yelled. ”You can’t leave Gryffindor!”

Minerva pursed her lips and looked at Lucius seriously. He gave an almost imperceptible nod. “Quarters will be prepared.”

“Lucius “ “ Severus began at the same time Remus said “Harry.”

“Sometimes, a bond is best established by discovering things by themselves, together, alone.” Poppy interrupted.

Grumbling unhappily, Draco was trying to get out of bed, drawing her attention. She excused herself and hurried off.

For the first time, Ron spoke up with a serious look on his face. “Look, I hate to lose you from Gryffindor. But, I think I can speak for everyone when I say he wouldn’t exactly be welcomed with open arms. And, it’s going to be pretty hard for those that don’t know you to explain this to them.”

Lucius put a hand on Harry’s shoulder. “He’s not in any danger.”

Ron looked toward Draco’s bed. “You have what you want. How can we believe you?”

“Mr. Weasley!” McGonagall snapped sharply.

Holding up a hand, Lucius smiled grimly. “As you so eloquently pointed out, Mr. Weasley, I have what I want. My son is well again and I have a chance for happiness with Harry at my side. I will not betray his sacrifice in having to marry me.”

Draco joined their group, dressed and looking unhappy. “Yeah, Weaselby, we won’t let anything happen to your precious pal.”

Lucius nodded approvingly at his son as their eyes met. He placed his other hand on Draco’s shoulder as he drew near. The sight of the three together, gave the rest pause. They were a formidable sight. They looked determined and ready to take on the world.

Turning slightly toward Harry, Lucius leaned over and kissed him tenderly as Draco rolled his eyes before laughing at the rest turning pale. Draco turned toward the pair that now seemed to be wrapping around each other for the long haul, their kiss lengthening and deepening. He owed his well-being to the pair of them. Although, as he heard a soft moan escape from Potter he suspected it wasn’t quite the sacrifice they’d all thought.

Draco shrugged. At least it beat him having to be married to Potter to break the hex. And, it was that thought that finally made Draco Malfoy smile as he watched the great Harry Potter in freefall to the Malfoy Charm.

Who could resist it? Apparently, not Harry Potter.

Sure, it was going to be a long haul, but Draco had a feeling they’d make it. After all, Potter was now a …Malfoy.


THE END