Freefall Chapter 13

Minerva pointed a wand at Harry and Remus. A burst of magic crackled over them both and their plain drab clothes were transformed into magnificent robes. Remus was wearing a deep dark blue robe that made him look regal. Harry was now wearing a shimmering silver robe with white ribbon trimming the edges.

She then turned to Lucius, who held up his hands with a small nod of thanks before transforming his own robes to a dark grey with silver trim, complimenting Harry’s robes perfectly. Molly smiled and pointed to Harry next. Remus chuckled next to him as he saw Harry’s hair was suddenly neatly groomed.

It was as they approached the podium that Harry realized two things. Firstly, he had no idea what the items on the podium were all about. And secondly, he had no ring for Lucius or even knew if he needed one. A heavy weight suddenly filled his pocket and he saw Hermione winking at him out of the corner of his eye. He sighed with relief.

Remus patted him on the back, alerting him to the fact he’d arrived at the front. He moved off to the side and Harry felt cast adrift. Turning, he saw Lucius looking at him with a soft smile. Oddly enough, it made Harry felt a bit better.

Minerva drew their attention. She began to speak, after casting a large protective circle around them. But, Harry was having a hard time focusing. He felt like he was barely breathing. Dimly, he felt and saw Lucius reach for his hand. It seemed to bring Harry’s mind out of the shadows it had slipped into and back into reality. She cleared her throat and began.
“Know now before you go further, that since your lives have crossed in this life you have formed ties between each other. As you seek to enter this state of bonding you should strive to make real, the ideals which give meaning to both this ceremony and its meaning.
With full awareness, know that within this circle you are not only declaring your intent to be bonded before your friends and family, but you speak that intent also to your creative higher powers.
The promises made today and the ties that are bound here greatly strengthen your union; they will cross the years and lives of each soul's growth.
Do you still seek to enter this ceremony?”
“Yes, We Seek to Enter.” Lucius said solemnly. Harry blinked. Feeling Remus nudging him in the back, he repeated the lines as well.
With a shake of her head, Headmistress McGonagall continued.
“In times past it was believed that the human soul shared characteristics with all things divine. It is this belief which assigned virtues to the cardinal directions; East, South, West and North. It is in this tradition that a blessing is offered in support of this ceremony.
Blessed be this union with the gifts of the East. Communication of the heart, mind, and body. Fresh beginnings with the rising of each Sun. The knowledge of the growth found in the sharing of silences.
Blessed be this union with the gifts of the South. Warmth of hearth and home The heat of the heart's passion The light created by both to lighten the darkest of times.
Blessed be this union with the gifts of the West. The deep commitments of the lake. The swift excitement of the river. The refreshing cleansing of the rain. The all encompassing passion of the sea.
Blessed be this union with the gifts of the North. Firm foundation on which to build. Fertility of the fields to enrich your lives A stable home to which you may always return.
Each of these blessings from the four cardinal directions emphasizes those things which will help you build a happy and successful union. Yet they are only tools. Tools which you must use together in order to create what you seek in this union.
I bid you look into each others eyes.”
Lucius turned toward Harry and they did as Minerva bid them. Harry was relieved to note that although he felt as though he’d just been hit by the jelly-legs curse, Lucius looked as strong as ever. He took some measure of comfort in that.
“Lucius, Will you cause him pain?
Yes.
Is that you intent?
No.
Harry blinked at the odd words but felt the flow of magic start around him as Minerva looked at him, indicating it was his turn. He was ever so grateful as Remus began to whisper the right responses in his ear.
“Harry, will you cause him pain?
Yes
Is that you intent?
No.
I ask you both, will you share each other's pain and seek to ease it?

Yes
And so the binding is made. Join your hands

She picked up the first cord and draped across their hands
Harry, Will you share his laughter?
Yes
Lucius, Will you share his laughter?
Yes
Will both of you look for the brightness in life and the positive in each other?
Yes
And so the binding is made.
She picked up the second chord and it was draped across the couples hands.
Harry, Will you burden him?
I may
Is that you intent?
No
Lucius, Will you burden him?
I may
Is that your intent?
No
Will you share the burdens of each, so that your spirits may grow in this union?
Yes
And so the binding is made.
She draped the third chord across their hands.
Harry, will you share his dreams?
Yes
Lucius, will you share his dreams?
Yes
Will you dream together to create new realities and hopes?
Yes
And so the binding is made.

She draped a fourth chord across the couple's hands, and another flood of magic washed over them.
Lucius, will you cause him anger?
Undoubtedly
Is that your intent?
No
Harry, will you cause him anger?
Probably
Is that your intent?
No
Will you take the heat of anger and use it to temper the strength of this union?
We will
And so the binding is made.

She draped a fifth chord across their hands before continuing.
Harry, Will you honor him?
I will
Lucius, Will you honor him?
I will
Will you seek to never give cause to break that honor?
We will
She draped the last sixth chord across their hands and tied them together, and said more of the spell that would bind them together.
The knots of this binding are not formed by these chords but instead by your vows. Either of you may drop the chords, for as always; you hold in your own hands the making or breaking of this union.
Lucius slid a ring onto Harry’s hand and kissed him on the cheek. Harry repeated the motions and nervously kissed Lucius on the cheek.

I declare by these witnesses and all the powers vested in me by the Ministry of Magic and this plane of existence that you are so bound.

Harry gasped as the last waves of magic crashed over them. Lucius placed a chaste kiss on his lips before he gave a brief nod to Harry and rushed from the room with Severus on his heels.

“I suppose he wanted to check on Draco,” Minerva said kindly.

“Of course,” Harry murmured but noticed it didn’t stop his chest from clenching just the same.