Chapter 12 Freefall

Remus and Harry walked together to the infirmary in silence. Remus didn’t want to push, knowing that Harry’s mind was made up and Harry didn’t want to think about what he was about to do. He was too busy trying to make himself walk the long walk to Draco’s bedside where he knew he’d find Lucius.

He had to search deeply for his Gryffindor bravery. It almost seemed as if all of Hogwarts looked differently. From the portraits to the suits of armor, it was almost as if he didn’t recognize it. He found himself immeasurably grateful for the weight of the arm settled firmly around his shoulder.

Harry stopped at the doors, summoning up the courage he knew he needed. Remus gave a squeeze to his shoulder, and Harry pushed open the door. They walked by several beds before they drew the attention of Madame Pomfrey. She looked at Harry with knowing eyes before giving him a tremulous smile. He nodded in recognition of it but felt unable to return it.

As soon as Lucius saw Harry, he gave Draco’s hand a last squeeze and stood up, knowing by the look on their faces a decision had been made. “Lupin.”

“Malfoy.”

Harry sighed at the sudden coldness in the room. “If we’re going to do this, I’d appreciate the two of you being on a first name basis.”

“Does this mean that you’ll do it?” Lucius asked quietly, as if afraid to break the sudden atmosphere of goodwill.

“Yeah,” Harry nodded, looking away from both men to where Draco was laying fraught with pain on the bed. He was asleep, pale, sweaty and shaky.

Lucius closed his eyes and rubbed one hand over his face; a poor effort to mask his obvious relief. A clearing of the throat drew their attention to where Poppy had suddenly joined them, to one side of Remus. “He’s starting to have some problems breathing. While I still cannot vow that this hex is what has caused his pain, I cannot help feel relief at your choice.” She smiled at Harry, patting his arm.

“It’s about time.” Severus said striding quickly into the room. “We should do this right away.”

Harry gulped, feeling his stomach rising dangerously close to his throat. Remus squeezed his shoulder once more. Lucius looked from them to the Deputy Headmaster. “I agree. Can you suggest an appropriate location?”

“Given how he looks Lucius, location is hardly a priority.” Snape glowered at Harry.

“While this may be a bonding of convenience, this is a rather important event ““ Poppy shot back, giving the man a hard stare.

“It doesn’t matter,” Harry muttered, simply wishing for the whole matter to be over.

“Harry,” Lucius reached out but Harry took a step back and shook his head.

“The Room of Requirement should do nicely,” Remus said firmly.

“I fail to see why we should waste time, Remus! Potter here is hardly a blushing bride waiting for the perfect wedding!” Severus looked ready to punch Remus in the face and only Madame Pomfrey stepping between them averted it.

“Gentlemen, please! I can connect the Floo in this room to the Room of Requirement. It would only take a moment.” She gestured with a hand to the wall that held the fireplace.

“Can Hermione and Ron be there?” Harry asked, feeling suddenly bewildered and unsteady again. He felt a need for his friends.

“I’ll go fetch them and meet you there.” Remus offered. Snape looked about to snarl something again but this time Lucius shut him up with a glare. Harry felt oddly grateful for that, yet felt a chill go up his back and crossed his arms over his chest.

Poppy made the connection to the Room of Requirement with a simple spell and Harry and Lucius walked through first, one right after the other. Harry was surprised that he didn’t stumble as he came out the other side. He heard the woosh of the Floo behind him and knew that Severus had joined them.

“Must we have this production?” Severus snapped irritably.

Lucius chuckled. “I believe this is what Madame Pomfrey pictures in her mind for her own wedding.”

Harry blinked, looking around. He had to admit it was beautiful. The room looked as though it was in the middle of a meadow and the walls were bewitched along with the ceiling to look like a perfect spring day. At the far end was an archway covered in red roses, the symbol of love. Rose petals created a path that led to the arch. On either side, curved paths of crushed white stone led to the places for witnesses. Under the arch was a white podium that resembled a short Greek column. Upon it lay several items that might be needed for such an event; a goblet, chords, a few bowls, and a large book. A few chairs made out of bent willow and laced with whisper thin fabrics of white fluttered on a soft breeze. Harry could feel the magic all around them, giving him a sudden surge of assurance and calm.

Lucius cleared his throat. “I never had the chance to ask you, Severus, to be my best man.”

“Well, since I must be here anyway, I suppose I can.” Severus replied.

Lucius chuckled at his reply before turning to Harry. “I do not know what faith you are.”

“Um, whatever you are works for me,” Harry replied. The Dursley’s had never taken him to church and regardless it wasn’t as if he could believe in whatever they used as a belief system if it allowed them to treat him as badly as they had. He started sharply when Lucius wrapped his larger hand around his somewhat smaller one.

Taking a deep breath, Harry tried to shelve the emotions that were running through him, but couldn’t help the underlying confusion it caused. He was grateful as the Floo whooshed once more and Remus stepped through, followed by Hermione, Ron and the Headmistress.

“If you don’t mind, Lucius,” Minerva said softly, while looking at Harry with concern.

“Of course,” he gave a small nod, then led Severus off to where they would be standing.

As soon as they were out of earshot, the Headmistress looked at him tenderly. She placed a hand on his shoulder. “I know this hasn’t been easy on you. And I hate to ask this, but I must. Are you certain about this?”

Harry closed his eyes and tried to ignore the urge to run like hell. He opened his eyes. “Yes.” She nodded primly and moved to the front.

“OH, Harry!” Hermione squished him in a tight hug. Harry squeezed her back, wondering when he might be able to do so again. She pulled away with suspiciously bright eyes, before turning to look at a very pale Ron.

“It always happens to you doesn’t it, mate?” He asked sadly. Harry wanted to laugh, expecting he should but it got caught in his throat somewhere along the way. Ron pulled him into a hug and patted him hard, nearly knocking him forward.

“Um, would you two mind standing up for me?” Harry asked hopefully.

Hermione’s face was suddenly filled with a sad smile. “Of course we will, Harry, won’t we Ron?”

“Uh, yeah sure,” Ron answered, then smiled. “Mum’s going to kill you that she’s not here.”

“Mr. Potter!” Snape yelled from the front, “If you are quite done risking Draco’s health, we are waiting!?”

Harry and Ron shrugged at each other, before Hermione grabbed Ron’s arm and they hurried to their places. For a moment, Harry turned his back on them all to regain some semblance of composure before there was another woosh. Remus stepped through with a smiling and crying Mrs. Weasley. Harry fell into her arms grateful for the solace and strength she offered. He looked up at Remus. “Thanks.”

“I’ll just go stand by Ron,” Mrs. Weasley kissed Harry on the cheek and bustled off.

Remus was about to follow, but Harry caught him by the arm. “I’d appreciate it if you walked me up the aisle. I think mum and dad would have approved.” Harry asked hopefully but his eyes screamed out that it was way too far to walk alone.

With a nod, Remus agreed, hugged him tightly, then they turned to face the others.