Test reader: Nefernat
Beta: Queen Morgan
Author Note: Written for real pestilence & Quills for a cause
Pairing: Blaise/Neville (Harry Potter fandom)
Word count: 1761 words
Disclaimers: Harry Potter is the property of J.K. Rowling and her publishers. The artist/author of this work receives no profit from it, nor do the creators/maintainers of hpqfac or quillsforacause. No copyright or trademark infringement is intended.



“I’d like to see you after class Mr. Zabini,” Snape instructed as the Potions lesson ended. Blaise winced. He knew this was going to be it. Draco looked at him with a smirk as he went by; knowing Blaise was going to get it. Last night, after Slytherin had soundly beaten Hufflepuff in Quidditch, Blaise had managed to sneak in firewhiskey for the party. Unfortunately, Professor McGonagall had caught one of the First Years with a bottle. Snape had gotten quite a speech from the Headmaster about Slytherin being out of control. Nothing had been said this morning as Snape was still in the meeting with the Headmaster.

With a cold feeling of dread, Blaise gathered his things and approached the Potion’s Master. “Yes, sir?”

Snape leaned back in his chair folding his arms over his desk. “I believe you know why you are being held after class.”

Blaise gulped. “Yes, I do.”

“Good. Now, luckily for you it’s been left up to me to dole out your punishment. I’ve written a letter home to your parents.” Blaise cringed at that. “I also expect you to make a full apology to Professor McGonagall. As well, I want you to tutor Neville Longbottom in Potions.”

Blaise felt his mouth drop open and he quickly shut it. Looking down he nodded, while clenching his hands into fists. Longbottom was an idiot. He couldn’t believe he’d been saddled with the moron! Undoubtedly, McGonagall insisted upon it.

“You are to meet with him each day during your free period in this classroom,” the professor said this with disdain. Blaise really couldn’t blame him. This would simply give Longbottom a second chance to make a mess in the classroom. “You may go.”


Rushing through the hall, he just managed to catch up with the other Slytherins in time to enter the Great Hall together for lunch. Draco’s eyebrow went up. “Well?”

“Apology to the old bat, a letter to my parents and tutoring Longbottom,” Blaise sneered looking over at the Gryffindor table angrily.

Draco shook his head. “I don’t envy you there. You’ll probably get a Howler. You also might want to consider some protective charms before dealing with the idiot.” The group chuckled at that while Blaise sat down to sulk over his food.

Realizing he’d lost his appetite, he made his way over to the Head Table and apologized to McGonagall. After doing so he looked over to his Head of House, who gave him a terse nod of approval. From there he stormed over to the Gryffindor House table, stopping behind Longbottom who looked terrified. Blaise smirked at that. “Don’t be late.” He said and strode angrily out of the Great Hall.

Neville received many sympathetic looks and was told by Harry to let him know if the Slytherin caused him any trouble, which was echoed by Ron who balled his hands up into fists. Neville felt slightly better knowing his housemates were behind him. But just the same, he left early for the tutoring session not wishing to provoke the wrath of one Blaise Zabini.

Blaise strode into the Potions classroom and with a wave of his wand opened up their potions book to the potion they’d be making the next day in class. “We’re making this tomorrow. Let’s work on it now, so you don’t screw up.”

Neville bit his lip but got to work on it. Blaise watched him collect the ingredients and start the fire under the caldron. But as he began to skin the shriveled fig Blaise sighed audibly. “Don’t you even know how to skin that?”

Looking down at the fig, Neville shrugged. “Isn’t this right?”

“No Longbottom, look.” He picked up the fig and the knife. With practiced ease he skinned the fig quickly. “You try.”

Neville picked up the next fig and tried to imitate what Blaise had done. But he managed to slice open his thumb instead. “OWW!” He yelped in pain cradling the injured hand to his chest and dropping the knife.

Rolling his eyes, Blaise waved his wand and healed the cut. “Like this.” He wrapped his hands over the top of Neville’s while standing behind him. Neville startled and jumped back. “Easy Longbottom. I’m just going to show you how it’s done.”

Reluctantly Neville went along with it. But he stiffened in the Slytherin’s arms. He tried not to think of how many times he’d dreamed of having someone hold him like that. No one ever had.

Blaise smirked as he felt Neville tremble in his arms, heard his breathing pick up and watched his hands shake. Enjoying his power over the Gryffindor, Blaise continued to hold Neville while showing him exactly how to prepare the ingredients and then the potion. By the end of it, Neville was sweating and Blaise took great delight in noticing that under his robes Neville was built rather nicely. He’d noticed over the years that the pudgy boy of First Year had grown, but had not realized how well he’d changed.

Neville Longbottom wasn’t the cutest boy at Hogwarts that was for certain. But the sheer innocence he exuded was like a drug. And Blaise realized later that night, as he tossed and turned in bed, that it was a drug he could easily become addicted to.

The next day Blaise endured some good-natured ribbing from his housemates about dealing with Longbottom. But he was surprised to see the Gryffindor had actually learned something, managing to produce a perfect potion. Snape was forced to find another target for the day. The smile that Longbottom sent his way had a definite effect on his libido. Draco elbowed him. “You might get a Gryffindor notch on your bedpost,” he whispered.

Blaise threw back the sinister smile at Draco that he knew was expected of him. After all, the Slytherin boys were expected to have at least 4 notches in their bedposts, one for each house. Draco had quickly gotten all 4 and by second year. The rest of the boys were fighting to catch up. If Blaise broke Longbottom’s cherry he’d be the second to make the rounds. Yet something about it didn’t feel right. He looked back to Neville, who smiled at him once again. Oddly enough the Holy trio seemed pleased and gave him looks of appreciation as well. It confused the hell of Blaise and he left quickly after class.

Longbottom was once again waiting for him, when he arrived for their tutoring session. Blaise was torn. On the one hand he could probably bed the Gryffindor with ease, but on the other Longbottom was almost too innocent. Blaise instructed the other boy on how to make the potion for the next day. This time he was careful to keep his hands off of him. As they were cleaning up, Neville turned to him. “Have I made you mad?”

“No, why would you think that? You did half decently in class today, for a Gryffindor that is.” Blaise chuckled.

Neville looked down. “I just wondered. “ But when he looked up Blaise noticed he seemed sad. He quickly left, leaving Blaise to wonder if he wasn’t the only one with wandering thoughts. Maybe Neville wasn’t so innocent after all.

By the third day, Blaise decided it was okay to have some hands on instruction with some of the more difficult ingredients. He couldn’t help notice this time that Neville seemed to be leaning back into him and smiling brightly. When the session ended, Neville waved goodbye cheerfully and dashed out of the room, right past Draco.

The blond sauntered in. “Looks like you’re going to put that fourth notch in after all. Congratulations, Zabini. Should have figured Longbottom would be an easy mark. He’s probably thinks you actually like him.” Draco laughed as they walked to the Common Room.

Blaise didn’t sleep too well that night, either.

The next day Blaise decided he needed to know what was going on. He lay in wait in the library after lunch and grabbed Hermione Granger, pulling her into a quiet corner. “What go you want?” she snapped angrily.

“Easy, Granger. I just wanted to ask you about Longbottom,” Blaise said in a quiet voice, not wishing to draw attention.

She scowled. “What about Neville?”

“Has he ever dated?” Blaise asked before he lost his nerve.

“Not really, why?” Hermione asked, her anger now gone and replaced by curiosity.

“I just wondered.” Blaise shrugged and walked away quickly, leaving Hermione smiling after him.

That afternoon Blaise arrived at the same time as Longbottom. Quietly they set up the cauldron and laid out the ingredients. Blaise was surprised as Neville prompted the touching this time. “Do I cut the caterpillars like this?” He picked up one of Blaise’s hands and set it over his own, while blushing madly.

Warmth filled Blaise and he realized that he couldn’t do what the Slytherins expected of him. Not the way they wanted anyway. Longbottom was an innocent. He deserved better than that. Longbottom was a nice guy who was so shy it was attractive. He knew if he bedded Longbottom and left him to the rumors about being just another notch on a Slytherin’s bedpost that innocence would be lost. Neville would actually get hurt, not like the sluts from the other houses he’d bedded easily.

Over the next few days, Blaise talked to Neville about things besides Potions. He found out his toad had been a gift, that he was the only one living with his Grandmother and that Neville cherished every friend he made. Longbottom was very loyal, as Gryffindors were prone to be and Blaise found it a refreshing change from backstabbing Slytherin.

After a week of flirting and becoming friends, Blaise decided that he wanted things to be right between them. Even if it meant a real relationship so he did what he’d never done before. “Neville?”

“Yeah Blaise?”

“I wanted to know if you’d like to go out with me.” Blaise said simply, feeling incredibly foolish as he did so.

Neville looked up and smiled the smile that always made Blaise want to smile back. “Really?” Blaise nodded. Neville blushed and Blaise was entranced. He leaned over to close the gap between them and gently kissed Neville.

Blaise was rather breathless as he pulled away but was surprised when Neville grabbed him by the back of the neck. He kissed him back eagerly and a bit messy. But Blaise was lost. Never had he had anyone so …enthusiastic before. It was intoxicating and definitely a ‘yes’.