Written for Amanda
Warning: Fluff x10
Beta: Onyx Ice
2248 words
12/4/05
Disclaimer: Harry Potter and the characters thereof are the property of JK Rowling and her publishing house, Scholastic books, etc. No mal intent was ever the intention of the writer of this offshoot fiction.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Harry smiled when he spotted Draco in the crowd. His arms were laden with bags full of presents for the holiday season, mostly presents for Draco. The blond tended to buy things and have them sent to their house, but Harry enjoyed having them at his side, so they’d agreed to meet in the front of the store at a set time.

They’d been lovers for just a few months now, and this would be their first Christmas together. Harry could hardly wait, the lights, music and crowd had only served to excite him further. Pushing through the holiday crowd at Harrod’s he soon stood behind Draco eagerly waiting to be noticed. He was talking with two people that Harry didn’t recognize. The crowd thinned out a bit, so Harry could finally make out their conversation.

“…really it was to be expected, once a muggle always a muggle,” the blonde woman at Draco’s elbow said while looking at Draco batting her eyelashes. It was all Harry could do not to laugh out loud, being instantly reminded of Pansy Parkinson. Draco was too gay to ever be interested in this woman, besides her possible social contacts.

“Well,” said an unattractive young man at Draco’s other side, “it all comes down to environment. If you put a magical person in a muggle household, of course they’ll never amount to anything,” he said in a snotty tone.

Harry felt his temper rise at the tone and the statement. He calmed himself, waiting for Draco to defend him and others who’d been raised in muggle homes and were still decent wizards and witches. After all, what about Hermione? Not to mention his own upbringing and he had turned out okay despite the Dursleys. A smug smile covered his face as he heard Draco clear his throat.

“Yes, I suppose you might have a point,” Draco added.

“WHAT!?” Harry yelled causing several people to turn and stare at him and hurry quickly away.

Draco spun around. “Harry! Hey love, are you done shopping?” Then Draco saw Harry’s face and blanched.

“Don’t you ‘hey love me’! How could you?! That’s it we’re through!” He ripped off the necklace Draco had given him as a present the first month they were together and threw it at him.

“Harry Potter?!” the woman gasped, seeing the tell-tale scar as it was revealed when Harry’s hair moved aside in his rage.

“Are you really?” the man asked, with a smile, heedless of Harry’s anger.

Gritting his teeth, he glared at the two people Draco had been talking with, “Yes I am, and let me enlighten you. I grew up in a muggle home. And if I hadn’t Voldemort would have killed me before I fulfilled my bloody destiny to save ignorant, pompous, belligerent horses’ Asses like YOU TWO!” Harry ran out of the store, dashed around a corner, disapparated away only to reappear moments later at Hermione’s house.

Hearing the familiar crack of magic, Hermione came out of the kitchen smiling and wiping her hands on a towel. “Harry!” He turned to face her and crumpled to the floor and Hermione caught him, tossing the towel aside. “Harry! What’s happened? Are you okay?”

“Draco…he…he…” Harry stammered, anger and misery fighting within him for dominance.

“Shhh, Harry,” Hermione gathered the wizard into her arms, cushioning his head on her chest. She gently stroked his still wild hair. “Take a deep breath Harry.” She felt him nod against her, doing as she bid. When she felt his breathing start to even out she pried the bags out of his white knuckled hands.

Hermione helped him to his feet and put an arm around him, guiding her long time friend to the small, sunny country kitchen, lowering him gently into a chair. Soon Harry had a cup of tea pushed into his hands. “Just drink and when you’re ready we can talk.”

Harry nodded and stared into the cup. After a few minutes of silence, Harry put the cup down, sinking his face into his palms while despondently resting his elbows upon the table. “Draco was chatting with some people in the store and agreed with them when they said that any wizard or witch brought up in a muggle environment would never amount to anything.”

Hermione gasped. “He didn’t!”

Harry nodded dejectedly. “How could he do that? After all we’ve been through and after getting to know you?! Hermione I don’t know what to do,” Harry kept his face covered, but Hermione saw Harry’s shoulders trembling. She moved closer and gathered Harry into her arms again.

“Do you think he meant it?” Hermione asked softly. She had a hard time believing Harry hadn’t misunderstood somehow. After all, the three of them had buried the hatchet after Ron’s death and the death of Draco’s parents. Draco had become the third member of the Holy Trio. He kept them going in the last battle against Voldemort in a way they’d never thought the blond could.

Draco had shown his love for Harry over and over as far as Hermione was concerned. Even though he’d never actually told Harry how he felt, Harry was happy so very happy, Hermione had never questioned the two of them being a couple, at least until today. Yet, she just couldn’t picture Draco suddenly reverting to the bastard he’d been at Hogwarts. The creak of the back door drew her attention to their new arrival.

“No I didn’t. Please let me explain,” Draco said from where he stood at the open door. Hermione bit her lip and sat down stiffly. She took one of Harry’s hands in her own to show where her loyalties lay. His eyes were drawn to it and his eyes met hers in understanding. “Yes, I suppose I should explain to both of you.”

“I’m not talking to you,” Harry said and turned a red face to Draco, dried tear tracks were on his face.

“What those two were talking about is something that has been the main foundation of many pureblood families for years. I was simply stringing those idiots along until you returned, so I could throw it in their faces where you’d been brought up. It was the only way to prove the truth to them. It took you months to bring me around and prove to me that what I believed to be indisputable truths were wrong. I didn’t have that kind of time. “

“You expect me to believe that?” Harry snapped. “Why didn’t you take a stance? Or try to tell them the truth? Maybe you don’t think that Hermione and I amounted to much, is that it?”

Draco took a few steps forward, letting the door close behind him. “It was the wrong way. I see that now. Perhaps it was my Slytherin side coming out in that I wanted to shock them.” Taking another few steps, he got down on one knee on the hardwood floor before Harry drawing his attention downward. “Please Harry. It was stupid. I’m sorry, please talk to me. Don’t let this come between us. Have I ever lied to you since we’ve been together?”

“He’s right Harry. But if you want I might have a bit of Veritaserum around,” she threatened. Harry shook his head and smiled at her, patting her hand. He knew it was an empty threat. The Ministry strictly regulated Veritaserum, and even though she was in the correct department to actually have some, Draco didn’t know that. It made him feel a bit better though.

He looked back at Draco and saw no fear of the threat in his face or eyes. Harry let out a long exhale of breath. “No, you haven’t.”

Draco lowered his head with relief before looking back up with a hopeful, small smile. Reaching out, he risked touching Harry’s other hand feeling grateful beyond words when his lover didn’t pull away. “I’m not now either. But I was wrong, in both stringing them along not defending you and setting you up, using your fame in that manner. Please don’t let this come between us, not now.” Draco searched his lover’s eyes, pleading for forgiveness.

“What’s so special about now?” Hermione asked holding Harry’s hand tightly sensing Harry was about to cave in, but feeling that Draco was keeping something from them.

“No more secrets,” Harry growled at Draco, sensing it too.

Draco shook his head. “I was going to wait on this for Christmas Eve, but since I’m in the right position,” he chuckled, reached into the breast pocket of his leather jacket pulling out a black velvet box with a glittering silver bow on top of it.

Hermione gasped, releasing Harry’s hand to hug him impulsively. “Oh Harry!”

Draco smiled; his look filled with emotion that Harry had never seen before and he gasped at what he saw those mercurial depths. “Draco?”

“Harry James Potter, from the first time I saw you in that robe shop when we were 11 you’ve been a part of who I am. But it’s only been recently that I’ve been a part of who you are. I don’t want to ever lose that place in your life or having you in mine. Harry, I love you. Will you marry me?” Draco flipped open the box where a band glittering with diamonds was nestled in a bed of blue silk. Hermione squealed letting go of Harry to clap her hands.

“You love me?” Harry rasped, unable to slow his racing heart enough to be able to speak properly.

“Yes, like I’ve never felt about anyone ever before. I can’t promise I’ll never be a stupid idiot again, but I hope that you say ‘yes’, so I’ll always know that you’ll love me enough to forgive me. Do you love me Harry?” Draco asked very quietly as Hermione stood by crying with her hands over her mouth, so she wouldn’t disturb this private moment.

“I love you Draco, so very, very much,” Harry sighed happily, leaning forward to gently brush his lips over Draco’s. It was the first time anyone had ever seen them kiss and Hermione felt honored, because she knew how private they’d been about their love affair since they were both so well known.

Draco followed him as he pulled away and kissed Harry in return desperately, deeply, passionately. He sought out his eyes once more when he pulled away. “For Merlin’s sake Harry, I’m begging you here. Will you please marry me and forgive me?”

“This is a good look for you Draco,” Harry teased enjoying the momentary power.

“I can do better things on my knees than this,” Draco smirked knowing that teasing look…intimately.

“Don’t I know,” Harry leered. “But you’re doing rather well at this, too.” Hermione blushed; clearly the two lovers had forgotten she was even there. She wondered if she should leave, but just had to hear Harry’s answer. Harry stood up and Draco felt panic grip his chest. Was Harry about to leave? Then Harry held out his hand for Draco who accepted it, stood, grinning at the forgiveness he knew he had been granted. Smiling in return, Harry held out his hand pointedly. Draco happily put the ring on the correct finger, tossing the box to the table in his haste. “I forgive you, and I love you. Yes. I’ll marry you,” Harry wrapped his arms around Draco’s neck pulling him into a blistering hot kiss.

Groaning Draco responded eagerly, pressing Harry toward him, their bodies aligning perfectly. As the kiss deepened they slowly came aware of their bodies screaming their need to each other. They pulled apart panting, coming out of their lust filled daze they noticed with amusement Hermione jumping up and down, clapping her hands gleefully. She rushed forward and squished them both in a bear hug. Draco laughed. “I guess this means you forgive me too?”

“Yes, but only on one condition,” Hermione’s eyes sparkled with mischief.

“What?” Draco asked biting his lip nervously, knowing whatever it was he was well and duly trapped to do what she asked.

“I get to throw the engagement party,” Hermione grinned. Draco released the breath he’d been holding, nodding his head with relief. She whooped in happiness, grabbed some floo powder, her purse and robe, running from the room excitedly leaving the two alone. Harry leaned his forehead against Draco’s; his anger long ago dissipated. All he wanted to do was bask in having Draco like this, so submissive and loving.

“Draco?” Harry whispered in an amused tone.

“Yes love?” Draco rolled his head nuzzling Harry’s face.

“Don’t you dare think this gets you out of getting me a Christmas present,” Draco blinked in surprise and pulled away. “And I know what I want too.”

“Demanding now aren’t we?” Draco mused with a smirk.

“Well I’m about to be a Malfoy now, I better get used to having my way.” Harry teased further.

“Merlin’s beard, I’ve created a monster.” Draco beamed at the idea of Harry taking his name; he’d been leery of even bringing the topic up.

“Yes, I want you under the tree wearing this.” Harry reached over and plucked the silver bow off the top of the velvet box.

Draco threw his head back and laughed. Harry laughed too before they kissed again, happy once more both looking forward to a future together.