Warnings: Unbound
Disclaimer: These characters are owned by DC Comics, the WB and the CW. No maliciousness intended.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“I’m tired of being betrayed, especially by someone who is supposed to be the fucking paragon of honestly.” Lex was shaking while holding himself deliberately holding himself apart.

“The truth enslaves Lex; you should know that better than anyone.” Bruce sighed softly, wishing to ease the pain not add salt to it.

“Must you always speak in riddles Bruce?” Lex chuckled, but because of his emotions it came out high and strangled.

“This is just another day of knowing, something that you’ve known for a long time. Nothing stands between us Lex. You know everything about me and I about you. Why do you keep denying it? Just close your eyes and let me hold you.” Bruce pulled Lex to him carefully.

“God Bruce how is it that you’re the last person left in this world that can take my breath away?” Lex asked as he felt Bruce envelop him like some dark guardian angel.

“Just close your eyes Lex. I’ll kiss your fears away.” Why did Lex always spend so much time waiting for a second chance? All of his time was spent feeling like he wasn’t good enough. Bruce had a lifetime of memories of trying to comfort the man in his life.

“But it doesn’t mean anything anymore.” Lex’s voice was bitter, cold and empty. Bruce hated that.

“That’s because the life you have been leading is so empty. You know I won’t disappoint you the way they all have.” Bruce all but snapped, only managing to catch himself at the last moment. Thank goodness he’d kept Lex from a cold hotel room on New Years, like his father had wanted for him. The fire in the Wayne Manor cracked behind them and its glow cast a beautiful light over them, belying the anguish in the occupants.

“I don’t have anything to give Bruce.” There was a silent reverie between them until Bruce broke it.

“The mere touch of your hand is enough for me. If you’d only let yourself go and surrender.”

“Who are you really?” Lex snickered as he leaned back into the naked form behind him, too tired of the life he was leading to fight any longer what he so wanted and lacked.

“Someone who will always be there to catch you,” Bruce answered wrapping his arms tightly around Lex, hoping it would make a difference that he believed it heart and soul even if it was madness.

He tactfully ignored the whimper of anguish that came from his lover. At this moment he hated Lionel and the Kents more than he could ever say. Was it any wonder he carried a bit of Kryptonite on him at all times?

Bruce could feel Lex’s arms trembling and his heart pounding beneath his flesh. Only seeing Lex in such pain could bring darkness into his day. It was humbling to see the constant stream of doubt from his strong lover, so scared of love and trust it seemed to make him break from the inside out.

Wishing to end his lover’s inner struggle, wanting to bring him peace and comfort, Bruce took Lex to bed. He could use his rage as passion as Lex clung to him desperately. While he might shed a lone tear for never completely having Lex because of his insecurities brought about by betrayal, Bruce would not fear love.

Love was deeply hidden in Lex. Someday Lex would see he was being pulled from the wreckage of his life. And that love would belong to him.

He could wait.

After all it was a new year.