Author’s Note:dedicated to Nefernat who will see this from the other side of the world when I’m asleep and squee.
DISCLAIMER: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by MGM, various publishers and merchants. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended, nor any malice toward the wonderful actors and actresses that make Stargate: SG1 come to life.
BETA:unbound






Daniel walked softly into the living room, feeling like he was walking on eggshells from the conversation gone sour. In his hands he carried a beer for his lover and a glass of the wine he favored for himself. “Hi Jack.” Bending over he gave Jack the beer and a kiss on the sulking man’s cheek. Half afraid to open up what seemed a never-ending can of worms lately he asked, “What’s wrong?”

“Don’t you think I might be a little tired of hearing about your new boyfriend?” Jack snapped.

Daniel sighed inwardly. Ever since Jack’s promotion and the formation of the new SG-1 team, Jack had been inordinately jealous of Mitchell. Daniel half knew it was coming though, after all he’d come home a bit too excited to share their latest mission with his lover. Really, by this point he should know better. It didn’t matter that they’d gone on hundreds of missions and fallen deeply in love. “He’s not my boyfriend and you know it. I come home to you Jack. I love you whether you care to believe it or not.”

Jack grumbled, popped open his beer and began to guzzle it down. After a long period of silence Jack finally said, “I wasn’t sure you’d make it home tonight.”

“I’m sorry to make you worry,” Daniel said, warmed by this admittance. Jack wasn’t exactly known for sharing his feelings, while Daniel, the Cancer of the pair was just the opposite. When Jack got to feeling this way it was hard to make him calm down.

There was no reply, which for Jack was to admit he was worried. Daniel smiled and let it go. “I was hoping we could bring in the New Year with a bang.”

Jack fought to keep a smile off his face at the remembrance of many New Year’s brought in that way. “What did you have in mind?”

Daniel kneeled next to his lover, putting his glass to one side carefully. “How about you put on your dress blues and we play soldier?”

“Are you actually going to listen to orders this time?” Jack sounded eager, his voice dropping into a deeply seductive tone and it made a river of fire run through Daniel.

“If I don’t you can punish me,” Daniel looked up coyly through his lashes, knowing it was a look even the calloused General could not resist. “Any way you want. I swear to stay the way you want me to.”

Jack squirmed in his chair as he chugged the rest of his beer. “Hot damn, let’s go!”

As they ran around shutting off the lights and locking up, Jack caught his younger lover in his arms with a grin. “Even if I left it all behind, there’d always be you. I love you Danny.”

Daniel knew Jack was talking, once more, about giving up his military career for him. But he’d never let Jack do that for him. Keeping his lover down wasn’t what their relationship was about. It was letting each other live while holding onto what they had with everything at their disposal. “I don’t think I could stop your rising star General. I love you too much.”

Jack kissed him deeply, just the way Daniel wished he would letting him know he was definitely forgiven completely.

And one day, they would both come home to stay.

Forever.