Warning: Unbound
Disclaimer: Star Trek Voyager is the property of Paramount. No maliciousness intended toward the creators or actors and actresses who portrayed the characters on the show.




“I’m sorry Commander but this is not a request. All crew on this ship are expected at the New Year’s Party,” Kathryn Janeway gave her first officer a sympathetic smile. “Besides it’s good for morale.”

Chakotay nodded unhappily. “Yes Captain. “ He made his way back to his quarters and began to get ready for the party. But his thoughts kept wandering back to the previous year, when everything was so much better. They had just returned to Earth and Nine and he were expecting their first child. Leaning against the wall, letting the pain get the better of him, Chakotay’s shoulders sagged. The Borg implants had killed both mother and child.

When the chance came to take Voyager back out into space, Chakotay quickly signed back up.

He wasn’t the only one. Tom and Torres had split in a messy divorce that bespoke of the woman’s half-Klingon heritage. She’d taken everything from Paris, making him a loner once again. This party was also the marking of their new voyage aboard the starship. Tomorrow morning they’d pull out of dry dock, hangovers or not.

After showering, shaving and getting dressed Chakotay headed over to the celebration. They would cap it off at midnight, Starfleet Standard Time with fireworks off the starboard bow. Paris had done himself proud with a holodeck recreation of old New York Time’s Square. He grabbed some simulated alcohol and pasted on a smile. After greeting various members of the crew new and old, he started to edge toward the door hoping to make his escape when a familiar voice stopped him.

“If you’re getting out of here, please take me with you.” The Commander turned to see Tom Paris looking at him with a hopeful desperation in his deep blue eyes.

“I won’t tell if you won’t Tom,” Chakotay said with a nod and they both dashed out the door. Feeling like naughty children playing hooky from school they exchanged grins that had made their appearance for the first time all night. His spirits slightly lifted Chakotay smiled at his former helmsman. “Care to hide together?”

Tom smiled. “Best offer I’ve had all night.”

The two spent the time leading up to midnight catching up and talking over old times. By the time the chimes rang through the ship for the New Year, the two were caught unawares. Tom chuckled. “Happy New Year Chakotay. I guess we get to kiss each other huh?”

“Sure Paris,” Chakotay joked, forgetting the man’s practical joker sense of humor. But he quickly remembered as Tom leaned over and kissed him on the lips. It was a fiery flash that left Chakotay breathless despite its brevity.

Tom smiled as he pulled away. Blushing brightly he looked down at the door. “Well I guess I better go. I have first shift.” He rose quickly to his feet while Chakotay was still trying to process what had happened. He just managed to get to the door before Tom hurried out. He grabbed Tom by the arm. “Chakotay?”

“Happy New Year Tom,” Chakotay pulled Tom toward him with a hand cupped around his neck and returned the kiss. Tom melted against him. Flushed and panting slightly they pulled apart after several passionate minutes.

Tom gulped. “This may sound a bit third grade, but I’ve always liked you.” Chakotay raised an eyebrow. “Okay deep down. Anyway, do you have plans for tomorrow night?”

Chakotay grinned. “I do now.”

As Tom left with a smile plastered on his face and swollen lips, Chakotay couldn’t help think this voyage was starting out much, much better than the last one.