DISCLAIMER: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by Panzer/Davis. The song lyrics are property of TRAIN. No maliciousness intended.



Joe shook his head meaningfully at his Immortal, Duncan MacLeod. “You need to get him out of here Mac.”

Duncan cast his eyes toward the stage where Methos, the oldest Immortal life was singing the same song for the third time.

“…lay all you want on me. Lay all you want on me. Lay all you want on me. I’ll be your whipping boy.”

“He’s pretty good though Joe,” Duncan smiled Methos launched into another song. Unfortunately it was the same one.

Since then I never feel helpless, recess, this mess if you do
And I find that even time well spent gets bent if you need it to
And we do
Well by now I've showed you how much I believe in the here and now and I wish that you knew

Lay all you want on me
Lay all you want on me
Lay all you want on me
I'll be your whipping boy

You spilled your purse onto my bed
Searching for something for your head
Since then you never come clean I mean
You wish you only could

Lay all you want on me
Lay all you want on me
Lay all you want on me
I'll be your whipping boy

I can get up...

And I find that even time well spent gets bent if you need it to
And we do
And we do
Lay all you want on me
Lay all you want on me
Lay all you want on me
I'll be your whipping boy

Joe sighed loudly in exasperation. “Mac, please.” He rolled his eyes dramatically. “He’s got a good voice, but ““

“Okay Joe. I’ll get him.” Duncan finished off his ale and put the empty glass on the counter. Slipping off his barstool he walked purposely over through the empty bar to his friend. He glanced at his watch. It was only noon. Why was Methos so drunk? How long had he been drinking? He must have started at the loft, Duncan reasoned quickly.

Methos leered up to him, hanging limply over the microphone stand. “Here’s my boy scout!”

“Hi yourself Methos. It’s a bit early to be so bombed isn’t it?” Duncan questioned even as he maneuvered himself under Methos’ shoulder.

“Snap, crackle, burp my good friend. Very nutritious breakfast,” Methos grinned happily.

Duncan shook his head while making his way to the door, giving Joe a thumbs up. The barman went back to cleaning the bar while wishing him luck. It took a bit of doing but Duncan managed to pour his friend into his car and take him back to the loft. After a concerted effort, the Scotsman got the Ancient Immortal to his couch and dropped him there gratefully. It wasn’t that Methos was heavy, but awkward. His long limbs made it hard to get him under control. It was bit like walking a drunken spider. Methos was all over the place, rubbing his hair, teetering here and there before slumping down.

He faithfully tucked his friend in, who fell asleep immediately and waited for the fast acting metabolism that all the Immortals shared to sober up Methos. It only took until Duncan had begun to work on something for supper that Methos woke up. The groan was the first indication. “Well, here’s some aspirin.” Duncan held out a glass of water and two pills for Methos who gratefully took them. “What’s going on that you thought you needed to get plastered first thing in the morning?”

“Nothing for you to worry about MacLeod,” Methos grumbled, trying to untangle himself from the blankets on the bed. “Where are my shoes?”

Duncan frowned. “Hey, what’s your hurry old man?”

Methos slumped over suddenly. “You don’t know what its like. The endless nights and years, decades and centuries blending together, you’re too young to know what that’s like having millennia slip by.”

“I swear to stick around to hear about it if it will help.” Duncan pledged placing a hand of comfort on his friends shoulder.

“I made a wish last night on a star.” Methos laughed at himself bitterly. “I only wish it would come true.”

Duncan sat down next to his friend, wrapping an arm around the other man. “I thought there was a reason you suddenly showed up in town.”

“I don’t know if I can wait much longer for things to improve,” Methos admitted.

Fear coiled in Duncan’s stomach. “I refused before to take your head and I’m not about to now.”

Methos shook his head then held it, instantly regretting it. “I’d like you to but not in the way you think.”

Duncan thought back over what he’d said before his dark eyebrows went up into his equally dark hairline. “You …you mean you want to ““

“Where are my shoes?” Methos repeated leaning forward.

“You great ass. Why didn’t you tell me? Haven’t you always known that the only reason I cat around is because there’s no one I can truly be myself with like I can with you?” Duncan smiled pulling a stunned Methos into his arms.

“MacLeod you better not be just humoring your elders,” Methos half joked, too afraid that the other Immortal was doing just that.

In answer Duncan leaned over and captured his lips in a searing kiss that sent Methos’ heart and soul sailing through the very universe itself. Duncan slowly pressed him to the couch and Methos felt like he’d fallen from a shooting star, because Duncan was his wish come true.

For all eternity, it would be hard for them to come back down from this timeless moment.