Authors: magdelena1969 and keikokin
Beta: sv_maria
Author Note: Part one, as designated by the dividing line, is a drabble by magdelena1969 called "A New Plan". I just had to add to it. This is the result, with her permission.



When both times you’ve tied the knot your spouses have tried to kill you before the honeymoon is over, a man tends to be reticent about treading into another marriage. Lex figured, if he was ever going to marry again, the person would have to be perfect.

So the third time, Lex planned to marry his best friend. He slipped the extra set of penthouse keys inside his jacket pocket. Until now, Clark had refused to take them, saying that Lex should only give them to the person he trusted with his heart. Tonight, Lex planned on doing just that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lex left the office with a nod goodnight nod to his secretary. He was leaving a bit early, but since it was his company, he didn't get concerned about it. Lex made his way down to the parking garage and to his Lamborghini. He wasted no time racing out of the garage to make it to the florist and jeweler in plenty of time before they closed.

Thus with a dozen roses, the custom key chain and a ring, he headed home to the penthouse. He smiled as he luxuriated in the fine handling of the Italian sports car as he weaved in and out of traffic, making record time as always. The attendant for the garage to his building waved at him, the blockade bar already raised as he smoothly zipped past him to his personal parking spot.

Lex felt good. It wasn't just the happiness of beating traffic either. He smiled as the warm feeling of a sure thing filled him. It was one he usually associated with a perfect takeover. He smirked as he entered the private elevator. In a way, Clark was a takeover. But this time he was allowing himself to be taken over by giving himself to the raven haired Adonis.

And yet, he wasn't scared. Not that a Luthor every got scared anyway; no, this was more like the feeling he got when he shifted into overdrive, or found out secret information that would proceed just the right amount of influence for a bidding war. This was smooth and just felt right.

Lex snorted. It was a good thing that Lionel wasn't privy to his private thoughts or he'd be horrified. His eyes saw that he was about to reach his floor and he moved forward toward the doors, pleasantly eager to get this night moving.

He smiled as he entered the penthouse. It welcomed him like a warm day. The comfortable, modern refuge was his… all his. Clark was right. This was not something he could share with just anyone. But it would be the last hold out between the farm boy and himself. This had been his sanctuary for longer than he truly wanted to consider. Now it would be theirs. Clark understood that.

Clark, who even in his teen years had a "fortress of solitude" was a kindred soul in his respect and need for solitude. It could only be shared with another like minded person. Others never really saw how much they had in common, since they came from such diverse backgrounds. Yet, it was this that told Lex in no uncertain terms, that day so long ago when he found Clark alone in the loft, that they were two halves of the same whole.

How many hours did they spend just seated together watching the stars? Or on quiet rides through the country? The silence between them, though once awkward during that horrendous time Clark tried to keep him from the truth, was deeper than ever after Clark revealed his Kryptonian roots.

Lex lit the candles for the dinner that cook had set out and glanced at the table setting. Everything shone brilliantly and the roses were laid out over Clark's setting. Looking at his watch he saw that Clark should be arriving any moment. Especially since Clark knew he was a stickler about being on time. Clark called it obsessive, but it was simply the way he'd been raised.

The sound of the elevator drew Lex's attention. Walking over, he waited for the doors to open. He greeted his lover with a slow smile, reserved only for him. Clark's smile was brilliant and tugged at his heart strings. With a fluid grace they moved into each other's arms for a long, deep kiss.

Clark sighed as they parted, nuzzling Lex's head and breathing his scent in deeply. Lex kept his eyes closed, relishing the feeling of Clark taking him into his senses. This bonding moment was just another element to their relationship that Lex cherished. As always, Clark kissed him once more, then pulled away. Lex opened his eyes and felt the familiar combination of love and lust running through every fiber of his being.

"It's just us tonight." Lex announced. Taking Clark by the hand he led him around the corner to the dining area. He heard Clark gasp from behind him as he took in the romantic dinner setting. Lex pulled out the chair for Clark who looked a bit taken aback by the intimate surroundings.

He eyed Lex curiously as he sat. "Lex, is today a special occasion?"

"In a matter of speaking," Lex sat and began to pour the wine. Clark chuckled; recognizing that Lex had something up his sleeve but was not about to reveal what it was until he was good and damn ready. This was yet something else they shared, stubbornness.

It was once something that bothered them both, making them butt heads more than once. But with time and the growth of their love, came acceptance. Now it was duly noted and accepted. And with that their love grew even deeper. Lex found himself smiling like the proverbial cat who'd caught the canary. Clark took a sip and sat back. "I don't know what you're up to, Lex, but its beautiful, thank you."

Lex raised his glass clinking it softly against Clark's, "To us." Clark smiled back and joined in the toast. They soon began to eat, conversing casually about their day, each avoiding any troublesome topics, such as Lois Lane or Lionel Luthor, neither wanting to destroy the delicious calming nature of the evening.

It wasn't until Lex took Clark by the hand and led him to the balcony, pulling him back into his arms that Clark sensed the moment was at hand. Lex smiled seeing the eagerness in his lovers face. "I love you, Clark and I trust you with all that I am."

Clark's eyes went instantly misty. "I love you too, Lex and I trust you with all that I am. Is that what tonight is about? You wanted to let me know you finally trust me?"

Lex ran his fingers through Clark's hair, carding through the soft locks tenderly. "Yes and this," pulling back he reached into his left jacket pocket pulling out the spare set of penthouse keys, "they are yours." He placed them in Clark's hand and drew his lover's fingers around them. "I want you to move in with me, Clark."

"I don't know what to say," Clark whispered. "Are you sure?"

"Yes," Lex pulled Clark into a kiss and this time let his emotions flow freely out of him, his love, his respect, admiration and trust. Clark moaned in wanton need as Lex ended the kiss. His eyes were dazed when Lex looked at him again.

"Clark, you're my best friend, the better half of me and I want to share my life with you." Lex felt tense for the first time all night as he waited for an answer. Feeling the need for a diversion he pulled the keys closer so Clark could see them. They were on an engraved ring, "our life," was on them. Clark's breathing changed.

"Yes," Clark answered in a small breathy voice.

Lex smiled. "There's just one more thing. I can't have your mother thinking that … no that's a lie… I don't care about her feelings in this… I want to make this more official, Clark. This is for me, because I trust you and I love you."

Reaching into his other pocket he pulled out the velvet case from the jewelers. He heard Clark's breath catch as he opened the box and the diamonds glittered in the moonlight.

"Diamonds are forever," Clark gasped.

Lex chuckled. Trust Clark to be so influenced by an ad campaign. "Yes, they are, Clark. I want you to be my life partner as you have been all these years, I want it to continue."

Clark couldn't say a word; he was too overcome with emotions. A single tear ran down his face and he was trembling, albeit at a super fast speed that made him look blurry. "Clark calm down, breathe, this is the part where you say 'yes'." Lex teased.

"YES!" Clark yelled loudly in his nervousness, and then blushed profusely as Lex laughed and slid the ring onto Clark's finger. Intense satisfaction overcame him as he saw it in place and noticed Clark slipping the keys for the penthouse into his pants pocket.

After a few minutes of intense kissing, Clark pulled away resting their foreheads together, "Why me?"

Lex shook his head. "Because of a man of my stature is supposed to have everything and I don't, unless I have you." Clark melted into his arms and that night was marked by some of the tenderest, most caring, intense and passionate love making of their long lives together.

The beginning