Beta: svmaria
Disclaimer: Smallville is the property of the WB, CW & DC Comics. No maliciousness intended. The song is by Five for Fighting and is called "Superman (It's Not Easy) on their CD "America Town."



Here we go again, over the same old argument. It's all I can do not to roll my eyes. While it was a relief to tell Lex about my powers, it's a pain in my the ass now. Every little symptom I have, he wants to catalogue and find a reason for it.

Take this morning for example. I finished my chores and raced over to see Lex. Happy didn't start to cover it, when I found him still in bed. After a long, lengthy and sweaty session of sex, where we both took turns, followed by even more sex in the shower, I was sure the day was going to be one of the best of my life.

That is, until I made the mistake of lying back down on the bed, thinking of how happy I was. I closed my eyes and didn't realize something was going on until I heard Lex whoop with excitement. Upon opening my eyes a crack, I saw Lex racing for his Scientific Journals, "Lex?"

"Don't move!" Lex yelled at me. I frowned and realized the perspective of my view point was all wrong. I was floating! When I discovered that, I fell hard to the bed, which thankfully, had only been about a foot away.

This brings us back up to the here and now. Lex is commanding me to have happy thoughts, because it worked before, and mumbling something about Peter Pan. Sometimes, when Lex talks to me, it's as if part of my brain disengages. It's doing that right now and all I can think of is a song I heard on the radio. I call it the "Jukebox in my Mind."

"Perfect!!" Lex grins, as I manage a few inches off the ground. "What are you thinking of?"

"A song," I grin maliciously as his face falls. Part of me can't help but think he had that one coming.

"Clark, I'm not going to like this, am I?" Lex folds his arms over his chest. I try not to get turned on by the tone of voice he's using. We really have to do some more Dom/sub games. They were a lot of fun. "What song, Clark?" he snaps, bringing me away from my fantasies and back to the here and now.

With a small smile, I start to sing.


I can’t stand to fly
I’m not that naive
I’m just out to find
The better part of me

I’m more than a bird…I’m more than a plane
More than some pretty face beside a train
It’s not easy to be me

Wish that I could cry
Fall upon my knees
Find a way to lie
About a home I’ll never see

It may sound absurd…but don’t be naive
Even Heroes have the right to bleed
I may be disturbed…but won’t you concede
Even Heroes have the right to dream
It’s not easy to be me

Up, up and away…away from me
Well it’s all right…You can all sleep sound tonight
I’m not crazy…or anything…

I can’t stand to fly
I’m not that naive
Men weren’t meant to ride
With clouds between their knees

I’m only a man in a silly red sheet
Digging for kryptonite on this one way street
Only a man in a funny red sheet
Looking for special things inside of me
inside of me ...... inside of me ...(x2)

I’m only a man in a funny red sheet
I’m only a man looking for his dream


I’m only a man in a funny red sheet

It’s not easy ... woo.. hoo.. hoo..
It’s not easy to be me...


Lex smiles at me, unfolds his arms and closes the Scientific Journals. "I'm doing it again, aren't I?" I nod. "Right," Lex comes closer, wrapping his arms around my neck, and my hands go, automatically, to settle on his slim hips. "Thanks for letting me know. I guess I am the one hoping you will learn to fly here."

"Yeah, I'm still not really crazy about heights, Lex." Shrugging, I put a concentrated effort into floating just for him and managed to make it back over to the bed.

Lex looked down and held on tight. We landed clumsily on the bed, in a tangle of arms and legs. But it was worth it to see Lex laugh so freely. "The problem with you is that you have a one track mind."

"Hey, that little show was just for you and had nothing to do with me." I argued.

"Hmm," Lex said doubtfully. "I know you wanted something out of it."

Pouting, I replied. "I wanted to make you happy."

His eyes spoke volumes before he leaned down to kiss me, pulling away before things got really good. "Clark, you always make me happy."

I knew what he was saying, even though he never had and I suspected he never would. Pulling him closely, I said it for both of us. "I love you too."