Chapter Eight – Slytherin reborn

Draco's guess was right. As Draco tried to withhold comment on Luna's odd comment that Trolls could be housebroken, a large raven swooped in over the tables. It headed straight for Headmaster Snape, dropping an official looking scroll at his plate. Snape quickly took off the ribbon and read the parchment. His eyes immediately sought out Draco's and he gave a sharp jerk of his head and the two left the room. Whispers sprang up behind them but they both ignored it.

Snape surprised Draco by pulling him into a quick stiff hug, very opposite to the warm lingering ones that Harry enjoyed giving. But still it made Draco feel very honored. "Sir?"

"Durmstrang's ship is setting sail and will arrive shortly. Slytherin will rise again before the end of the night, Draco." A sob escaped Draco before he could stop the sound from escaping his throat. Snape nodded, sighing audibly with relief.

"I never meant for-"

"There will be none of that, Draco. Misplaced remorse is for Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs. You've been spending too much time with Potter." Snape's eyebrow rose.

"But how did you-"

"You keep forgetting I'm the Headmaster now and Hogwarts tells me all." Snape smirked. "Now then, the question is how they will react to you. I'm going to head out to meet them. Stay here and reopen Slytherin House. The unlocking phrase is 'Salazar Surrenders’." Draco blinked in surprise but nodded. "I expect you will want to tell Potter," Snape jerked his head toward the Gryffindor who was nervously playing with his robes at the end of the corridor. "Just tell him to keep his mouth shut. I still am wary of these newcomers. At least they have enough brains to realize they are better off here then than there!"

With that Snape patted Draco once on the shoulder and left quickly, his robes snapping behind him. As he passed Harry he jerked his thumb in the direction of Draco before vanishing around the corner. Harry seemed surprised but ran to Draco with worry written plainly on his expressive face. "Draco?"

Draco wrapped his arms around Harry, burying his face in his neck before pulling back. He couldn't hold back the smile on his face. "Durmstrang students are arriving as we speak. Severus has gone out to talk to them. Harry! Slytherin will reopen!"

Harry smiled but it looked tired and forced. It was then that comprehension dawned on Draco of how much Harry must have faced to stay at his side. "I'm happy for you, Draco."

"I have to go open up the Slytherin Common Room. Come with me, we need to talk." Draco put his arm around Harry's shoulders. Harry nodded and didn't say anything. He didn't need to. It was clear that the Gryffindor thought he was about to get the heave ho. Draco stopped and kissed him. It was deep and passionate, leaving no room for doubt. "You're an idiot, Harry. I'm not going to dump you."

Harry's shoulders sagged with relief. "Sorry, I just thought now that your house is back that you wouldn't –"

"Wouldn’t need you?" Draco shook his head. "I fell completely apart. If not for you I …well let's just say Pansy would have had her way."

"God Draco, no!" Harry gasped.

Draco let go of Harry and continued down the corridor. "For years you've been Potter the git. It wasn't until this year, when I expected it to be worse than ever between us that you were ….okay. Just because I'm a Slytherin at heart doesn't mean that I have a heart of ice or can't be loyal. My whole world turned upside down, my House closing, my own mates trying to kill me…resorting," he shivered at this and turned just as they reached the Slytherin Common Room. "Even Snape barely had a word to say against us being together, just hinted you made me a bit soft." Draco smiled.

Harry's mouth fell open. "Snape knows?"

Nodding Draco said the password that tasted foul on his lips and the Slytherin door opened. Draco sighed happily marching straight in leaving Harry to run after him. "Merlin I didn't think I could miss this place so much in so short a time." Turning he noticed Harry was muttering to himself over Snape's knowing. Draco took his hands and looked into his eyes. "Don't worry about Severus. How has your house been treating you?"

Shrugging Harry looked away. "Fair I suppose, considering our history. I’m a bit tired of Ron looking ill and Hermione's snorts of disapproval. The others are being okay. They kind of owed it to me for all the times they've turned on me. At least you were always consistent."

"Right. Consistent in how much I hated you," Draco chuckled, pulling Harry closer. "But that's over now."

They kissed for a moment until the loud sound of many precisely marching feet sounded upstairs. Draco's eyes lit up. "Come on!" he grabbed Harry by the hand and they ran all the way to the Great Hall arriving just in time to watch the former Durmstrang students marching up in military fashion behind Snape. Each one was smiling happily. Draco was a bit taken aback; looking to Harry he saw the same reaction. Giving Harry's hand a squeeze Draco walked up to Snape and stood beside him as he turned to the Durmstrang students. Snape nodded to the one at the forefront.

The young man who was almost a twin to Viktor Krum took a step forward. "We petition for acceptance to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry." With a sweeping motion of his arm to those behind him he added," We wish to bring back the noble house of Slytherin and follow the example set by Draco Malfoy, by having as little to do with the Dark Arts as possible!" He laughed. Cheers went up on all sides. Draco suspected it was a bit rehearsed but he smiled nonetheless. Snape waved his wand over Draco. His clothes changed to Slytherin robes. Draco's throat closed up choked on emotion. He stepped forward and hugged the leader of the Durmstrang former students.

"I'd be proud to have you as house mates," Draco managed to say hoarsely.

Snape waved his wand once more. Out of nowhere the Slytherin flag flew to its former position. The Durmstrang students were suddenly clothed in Slytherin robes and the tables got up and walked around once more until they settled back in the original House arrangements. "Welcome to Hogwarts!" Snape cried, sounding uncharacteristically upbeat. Draco couldn't help it….he laughed as waves of stress literally evaporated from his body, mind and soul.

The Durmstrang students all sagged with relief and began to hug each other. Going around to the podium at the front of the Head table. Snape lowered his head a moment to regain his composure. He lifted his head again and actually smiled as he announced. "I hereby declare SLYTHERIN REOPENED!"

And shockingly enough, the rest of the school actually cheered, as Harry and Draco smiled at each other from across the room.

It was hard to say what the future had in store for them, Slytherin House or even Hogwarts itself, but more than that it felt like …right.