Chapter Four – The Bonding

Poppy escorted Harry to the Infirmary very quickly all the while mumbling that she had better things to do than this. She went on to list several such things while Harry was lost in his thoughts; like why had Malfoy asked for him? And how was Gryffindor House taking this? What kind of speech was Hermione going to give when he returned? How long would Ron throw a fit?

"Mr. Potter, please don't keep Mr. Malfoy from getting his rest," Poppy said suddenly, breaking his train of thought. Harry blinked and sheepishly realized that they'd already arrived at the Infirmary. She raised a teasing eyebrow, shook her head then left him alone. He made his way over to the only bed with a curtain around it. Pushing the curtain back, he cautiously entered.

Draco looked scared. That alone stopped Harry in his tracks, and causing his breath to hitch. The second was that Draco was actually smiling, happy to see him. "Err, hello."

"It's about time you got here. Did the old bat take the long route?" Draco snickered.

"The old bat has excellent hearing, Mr. Malfoy!" Poppy called from the other side of the room. Draco winced and Harry laughed. Looking about, he spotted a stool and pulled it up then sat down.

Leaning forward he whispered, "I take it you two don't get along?"

"She makes me wish that the mud…that is, Granger were a mediwitch," Draco replied softly. He pulled at the sheets and for the first time Harry noted that Draco was in the standard Infirmary pajamas. He appeared to be itchy, but whether it was from the sheets or the pajamas Harry didn't know. Draco saw his gaze and shrugged. "Severus is going to see that a set of my own get brought up, but I suspect he's been waylaid by dealing with the House issue."

Draco looked down forlornly and Harry felt a pang of sympathy run through him. "Are they going to make you go back there?"

"Back to what?" Draco asked incredulously. "Honestly Harry, surely you realize that if only myself and the First Years are all that remain of Slytherin House there really is no House at all." Sadness over came his features at the loss of his House, despite what they'd done to him.

Harry fiddled with the edge of his robe. "Yeah, I did but…I don't know… I guess I thought that they might."

"I suspect all the houses will have to get reshuffled for the year." Draco mused aloud. "Quidditch will probably be eliminated as well as the House Cup. After all, it would hardly be fair would it?"

"True," Harry felt his heart drop at the thought of no Quidditch. "Well, how do you think they'll reshuffle us?"

Draco was silent for a moment as he pondered the issue. Harry looked around in the meantime and noticed there were no cards, sweets or gifts at all. Didn't Malfoy have any friends? Or had they all turned on him? It made him feel oddly protective of the blond and wish he had a gift to give him. A thought came to him and he excused himself for a moment and went to Poppy's office. He knocked on the door and the medi-witch looked up in surprise. "Mr. Potter?"

"Would you happen to have thread or thick floss in colors?" Harry asked, remembering something he'd seen on the telly once.

She looked at him oddly, retrieved the requested items in various shades of purple. "May I ask what you're going to use it for?"

"A present," Harry pointed at the items and cast a spell he'd seen Hermione use on Ginny's hair. The colored string instantly began to braid itself together. When it was done Harry cut it and returned the items to Poppy. She scratched her head and shooed him out. Harry hurried over to Draco who was looking at him curiously.

Harry held out the tightly woven colored strings to him. "I made you something."

"Um…" Draco looked at the thread and wondered what on Earth it could be.

Harry's face fell. "Don't you like the colors?"

"Uh, sure. But …" Draco frowned.

"It's a friendship bracelet. There was a big rage over them in America for a time." Harry explained. "You tie them on the wrist of a friend."

"Oh," Draco still looked confused and Harry stepped forward to tie it around Draco's wrist. A small smile twitched at the corner of Draco's mouth. "Thanks."

Harry beamed. "You're welcome." There was an awkward moment where neither knew what to say, so Harry asked," Did you figure out how they'll sort us?"

"I was thinking alphabetically by year," Draco said with conviction. "It's only reasonable. Although, Sprout will probably make a big speech about how we can use it to get along better," Draco rolled his eyes.

Potter nodded as he thought about it. "Chances are Neville and I will still be rooming together…"

"Be grateful you don't have to worry about rooming with Theodore Nott," Draco groused before he looked at Harry with surprise. "We might wind up together," Draco pointed out in a quieter voice.

Harry smiled. "That wouldn't be so bad." Then a glimmer of uncertainty graced his features. "Would it?"

Draco looked down at the present on his arm and back up to Harry. "No, it wouldn't be bad at all." He paused. Harry's face fell again and Draco realized he'd paused a bit too long and hastened to add, "As long as Longbottom doesn't rattle off plant names in his sleep."

Harry tilted his head as Draco yawned. "Speaking of sleep, I should let you get some."

"Would you mind, um…" Draco began with hesitation.

"Not at all," Harry supplied. "But this chair is the pits. Mind if I, um…" he waved toward the bed.

Draco's cheeks turned a bit pink, but he nodded quickly. Harry kicked off his shoes and scooted in beside Draco. The bed was rather cramped and Harry had to grab Draco to keep him from going over the edge. Draco moaned in pain at the wrenching his body sustained. "OH Sorry!" Harry said instantly pulling back.

Trying not to think of the loss of the warmth and security he'd felt in those arms despite the pain, Draco carefully rolled over until he was facing Harry, each on their side. "Engorgio," Harry muttered and pointed his wand at the bed which instantly doubled in size. It also eased the tension between them a bit. "Night Draco," Harry said with a smile.

"Night Harry," Draco replied. They soon fell asleep. When Poppy came out she thought it was too cute to break up and since Harry was fully clothed she didn't see the harm. She was about to turn out the lights when she saw the bracelet on Draco's hand. A small smile crossed her face. It was good to know that something worthwhile had happened after such an upsetting day for the school.